Embargoed & PubStatus

  • lino_sg
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 19, 2010
      Hi,

      1) I wish to express the "Release Date and Time" of a news item. The embargoed definition seems to fit the bill. Can one use the 'embargoed' and 'pubStatus = usable' elements at the same time in the same newsItem?

      Regards,
      Lino
    • Kostas Konstantoulis
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 19, 2010

        Hi,

        You are right. <embargoed> is the appropriate property to define a later date and time (embargo) for the item to be used.

        According to the specs, you can only use <embargoed> (either empty or with a value), while <pubStatus> is “usable”.

        Kostas Konstantoulis

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 20, 2010

          Hi Lino and Kostas

          We have to clarify what you, Lino, mean by “Release Date and Time”: is this the date and time when this item has been released by its provider or is it the date and time when a publisher having received this item may push it to the public.

          Re the first option (... when the provider released it): such a timestamp was not included into the structure of a G2 item as we have already all relevant timestamps about the item (firstCreated, versionCreated ... which is mandatory!) and its content (contentCreated, contentModified). The release of an item was considered to be something which relates to distribution: an item may be sent out on many services, one some earlier, on some later, receivers of the different services may have a different experiences about the “release date” of an item. For that purpose the News Message has a timestamp property with a role attribute, this way you could express: <timestamp role=”released”>2010-10-20T08:00:00+00:00</timestamp>

          Re the second option (... when the receiver may publish it): using embargoed for this purpose is correct.

          Michael

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 20, 2010

            Hi Michael and Lino,

            If it is for the first option, i.e. when the item was transmitted/released, then the /newsMessage/header/sent property can also be used [title: Date of Transmission; definition: The date and time (with the time zone) of transmission of the message. It may be the same in the case of many (re)transmissions.].

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 20, 2010

              Hi Kostas

              I do not fully agree: release and transmission may be different – think of a re-transmission for technical purposes as customer may have claimed they did not receive it. Then the release dateTime would still be 13:20:35 (time of the first transmission) but the sent time could be 14:48:22.

              Michael

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 20, 2010

                Hi Michael,

                If the provider decides to update the <sent> property on each new transmission, then yes, you should have a different timestamp for Released.

                However, the specs leave this on the provider to decide. Here the related spec excerpts:

                NewsML-G2_2.4-spec-PCL:

                10.6.48 Date of Transmission

                Table 57. Date of Transmission

                (XML) Data Model Element

                Namespace (prefix) nar

                Name sent

                Title Date of Transmission

                Definition The date and time (with the time zone) of transmission of the message.

                User Note(s) May not be updated in case of retransmission of the message.

                IPTC-G2-Implementation-Guide:

                14.2.1.1 Sent timestamp <sent>

                Mandatory, non-repeatable. The transmission timestamp is in XML date-time format. Note that if a news message is re-transmitted, the sender is NOT required to update this property.

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 20, 2010

                  Hi Kostas

                  That’s exactly why I said the sent time *could* be different (and not *will* be different) – not having to change sent does not exclude changing it.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 20, 2010
                    Hi,

                    Thanks for all comments. The usage I'm looking for is the 'embargoed' concept. Companies provide news to the Stock Exchange but stipulate a date and time before which the Exchange is not permitted to publish the story to market participants.

                    That 'release date time' is what I'd like to include in the NewsML. So, it seems that using "embargoed" and "publication status" would meet that requirements. If the message were to be re-transmitted due to failure on either end, the 'release date time' would remain constant but the transmission time would change.

                    Regards
                    Lino

                    --- In newsml-g2@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Steidl \(IPTC\)" <mdirector@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Kostas
                    >
                    > That's exactly why I said the sent time *could* be different (and not *will*
                    > be different) - not having to change sent does not exclude changing it.
                    >
                    > Michael

                  • Kelvin Holland
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 20, 2010

                      Hi Lino,

                      Thought I would jump in here: pubStatus and embargo are not linked. If an Item has a pubStatus of “withheld” it cannot be published. It can only be published if an new version of the Item  (same GUID) is received with a “usable” status.

                      The way you describe your requirement exactly matches the use-case for embargo. Your pubStatus should always be “usable” unless there is a separate issue with the Item (for example factual or legal issue) which requires you to change the status to “withheld” or “canceled”.

                      Best

                      Kelvin

                      Kelvin Holland

                      +44 (0)7966 448437