RE: [newsml-g2] Circular Reference in Knowledge Item

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2010
      Hi Lino,

      good point: the answer is No and Yes ...

      No, formally not: the QCode used for "Service Type" must be a valid QCode,
      that's the only formal requirement from the G2 specs. Anything beyond is
      part of a provider/client contract. You have to tell your customers that you
      are flagging specific items (KI and others) with that QCode and using it has
      a specific meaning, thus the receiver should process it in a specific way.
      This may be expressed in a table in a Word document - or by a set of
      concepts in a KI ...

      Yes: ... in this sense sending the definition of a concept in an item which
      already makes use of this concept may be considered as a dead-lock. But is
      this a real issue, in general: how can a user set up the processing of a
      specific flag if he doesn't know about it? In this case he has to receive
      and process it in a standard, generic way and only after having received
      information about this flag/concept he is able to improve his system to
      process flagged items in a better way.

      This is a usual situation for upgrading or evolving a system. If the
      software on a PC is only able to read Windows-1252 encoded text and you
      deliver software which is able to read UTF-8 encoded text then you should
      not send the installation instructions UTF-8 encoded but Windows-1252
      encoded.

    • lino_sg
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2010
        Hi Michael

        Yes, I agree it is not an issue in terms of processing the information. In our specs will just highlight this to ensure
        correct processing.

        thanks.
        Lino