RE: [newsml-g2] Link vs RemoteContent

  • dave.compton@thomsonreuters.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 27, 2010
      Agreed. They are really two *formats* of the same story. As the story is versioned, both the PDF and Plain Text would be updated at the same time. Thus, as both are managed 'together', they belong as remoteContent instances in the same item. The item provides common metadata for both (all) remoteContents that it contains; additionally, each remoteContent can define its own specific properties (format, contenttype etc.).
      Rgds
      DC

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 27, 2010
        Hi Dave/Paul,

        Thanks for the clarification around link vs remoteContent.

        Another scenario involves converting the original PDF story (which contains images, graphs, logos, etc) into a text-only version of the announcement. It's a fine line as the story is essentially the same but the content of the PDF contains more information in terms of the graphical content. Would you still opt to include the PDF version in remoteContent in this case? The IPTC Guide (p.75) would seem to support the use of <link> for derived content which seems to support the case using <link>?

        Regards
        Lino

        --- In newsml-g2@yahoogroups.com, <dave.compton@...> wrote:

        > Agreed. They are really two *formats* of the same story. As the story is
        > versioned, both the PDF and Plain Text would be updated at the same
        > time. Thus, as both are managed 'together', they belong as remoteContent
        > instances in the same item. The item provides common metadata for both
        > (all) remoteContents that it contains; additionally, each remoteContent
        > can define its own specific properties (format, contenttype etc.).
        > Rgds
        > DC
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Paul Harman
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 28, 2010

          I’d still say that remoteContent is right in this instance. The PDF is richer, true, but the receiver of your NewsML-G2 could infer that from the @contenttype you set in remoteContent.

          “derivedFrom” would be relevant if you’d rewritten the text after extracting it – summarized it, added new chapters, wrote a new article that extracts content from it but adds to it.

                          Paul

          Thanks for the clarification around link vs remoteContent.

          Another scenario involves converting the original PDF story (which contains images, graphs, logos, etc) into a text-only version of the announcement. It's a fine line as the story is essentially the same but the content of the PDF contains more information in terms of the graphical content. Would you still opt to include the PDF version in remoteContent in this case? The IPTC Guide (p.75) would seem to support the use of <link> for derived content which seems to support the case using <link>?

          Regards
          Lino

          --- In newsml-g2@yahoogroups.com, <dave.compton@...> wrote:

          > Agreed. They are really two *formats* of the same story. As the story is
          > versioned, both the PDF and Plain Text would be updated at the same
          > time. Thus, as both are managed 'together', they belong as remoteContent
          > instances in the same item. The item provides common metadata for both
          > (all) remoteContents that it contains; additionally, each remoteContent
          > can define its own specific properties (format, contenttype etc.).
          > Rgds
          > DC
          >
          > ________________________________

          This email is from the Press Association. For more information, see www.pressassociation.com. This email may contain confidential information. Only the addressee is permitted to read, copy, distribute or otherwise use this email or any attachments. If you have received it in error, please contact the sender immediately. Any opinion expressed in this email is personal to the sender and may not reflect the opinion of the Press Association. Any email reply to this address may be subject to interception or monitoring for operational reasons or for lawful business practices.
        • lino_sg
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 28, 2010
            Paul,

            If the <link> is for different content, then remoteContent is the correct option. Other relationships such as 'processedFrom" would still not be correct.

            On a similar vein, at end-of-day, I will create a newsMessage /packageItem containing the newsItems/stories for the day. At the same time, all the PDF stories will be made available as a single ZIP file on the company FTP site.

            What is the best way to related the Package of Plain-Text stories to the ZIP Package of matching PDFs?

            Do I 'link' the ZIP file in itemMeta, or include it as a 'group' in 'groupSet'?

            e.g.

            <groupSet root="G1">
            <group id="G1" role="grprol:eodPDFFiles">
            <itemRef residref="ftp://ids.jse.co.za/SENS-EOD-PDF.ZIP"
            contenttype="application/zip">

            </itemRef>
            </group>
            <group id="G2" role="grprol:eodTextFiles">
            <itemRef residref="urn:newsml:jse.co.za:2009-09-15:SENJ:001A"
            contenttype="application/vnd.iptc.g2.newsitem+xml">
            </itemRef>
            <itemRef residref="urn:newsml:jse.co.za:2009-09-15:SENJ:002A"
            contenttype="application/vnd.iptc.g2.newsitem+xml">
            </itemRef>
            </group>
            </groupSet>

            Regards
            Lino

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 28, 2010
              Hi

              Further to our discussion, in what context would 'altRep' be used for? The PCL spec states that it would be for "an IRI which, upon dereferencing provides an alternative representation of the Item." Would this not be alternative to using <link> or <remoteContent>?

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 18, 2010
                Hi Lino

                Two comments:

                1) re "altRep": this property is made for representing the same metadata and
                content as provide by a G2 item in a different format, eg. as an HTML page.

                2) re PDF and link etc.:
                At the IPTC we have an (ongoing) discussion about how to deal with what we
                call "composite content" = a PDF document, an HTML page. In both cases we
                have one physical container for different pieces of content, and not only
                pieces, also different types of content. Can this be "the content" of a G2
                item? Yes, first you should apply the QCode "ninat:composite" to the
                itemClass property of this item if the PDF as a whole should be addressed.
                But how to deal with the different renditions as text-only and as PDF? G2
                has no means at hand for this case, I think you have to compromise:
                asserting that only the textual content of the PDF is valid linking to the
                PDF by <remoteContent>. It would be nice to have a technology which allows
                to point inside a PDF - or other container format - and to indicate "I mean
                this part of the content". Currently the W3C is working on such "deep links"
                but only in the scope of video and audio.

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 18, 2010
                  Hi,

                  On #2, If the contents of contentItem represent the same story but in different formats, e.g. XHTML as inlineXML, Plain-text in a CDATA section and PDF as remoteContent, would the 'ninat' need to be 'composite'? i.e. does it apply to the whole of the contents, whether inline or remote?

                  Regards
                  Lino

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 18, 2010
                    Hi,

                    to clarify: the "ninat:composite" is made for
                    - content which exists in a *single* physical container (= file)
                    - but is not a single piece of content, e.g. a text article with photos.

                    As the container cannot be split up we came to the conclusion a package item
                    is not appropriate. But as the content is not uniform none of the other
                    ninat-values work.

                    So if you have
                    - a single piece of content
                    - in different formats in different containers (file)
                    Then you should select the appropriate ninat-value (text, graphics, picture
                    ...) and have a couple of children of the contentSet wrapper, one for each
                    format.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 18, 2010
                      Hi Michael,

                      You can only have one contentSet wrapper per newsItem - not sure what you mean by "having a couple of children of the contentSet wrapper"?

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 19, 2010
                        Hi Lino,

                        yes, only one contentSet - as already the name tells this element is made as
                        a wrapper to contain "a set of content renditions" - and this should be
                        enforced by the XML Schema.

                        Btw: these wrapper are available in almost all G2 items:
                        - knowledge item: conceptSet
                        - package item: groupSet
                        Only the concept item's content is limited to a single piece of content and
                        thus the corresponding element is name "concept" - no "Set" in the name.