779RE: [newsml-g2] Properties of a concept

    Dec 23, 2008
      On 23 Dec 2008 at 10:13  Paul Harman wrote:

      > From: Michael Steidl (IPTC) [mailto:mdirector@...]
      > > This way you could add e.g.
      > >       <related rel="poiProps:noOfSeats" literal="83" />
      > >       <related rel="poiProps:operator" qcode="pacompanies:UCI" />
      >

      > Hmmm. These two things do not seem to be expressing the same type of
      > information. The second I can see as a relatioship between a cinema and
      > it's operator - i.e. between two conceptItems, or things that could be
      > modelled as conceptItems. However I don't think the number 83 is a
      > credible concept - it's rather abstract, evben more som than emotions
      > that are represented as concepts for describing images and videos - so
      > using related feels wrong to me.
      >
      > Darko's suggestion of using facet (which I think may not be valid per
      > the specs) feels more 'right' to me. It's a property [or facet] of the
      > cinema that it has 83 seats, rather than a relationship between the
      > cinema and the number 83 of type 'numberOfSeats'. In NewsML1.x I would
      > have modelled this as <Property FormalName="NumberOfSeats" Value="83"/>
      > but there doesn't seem to be an equivalent comfortable mechanism here.

      Paul

      <related> has no specific semantics - except that it refers to something with a kind of relationship which is indicated by @rel.

      The problem with <facet> is that is has no @literal attribute - thus Darko's proposal does not validate.

      In general: all the properties of an item must resolve to an RDF triple (this was an initial business requirement for G2) - subject / predicate / object:

      - the subject is always a part of "this" item, that could be the item as a whole or parts of it like a specific rendition, a part of a rendition, e.g. the paragraph of an article.

      - the predicate is the semantics of a property. E.g. <subject> translates to a predicate like "isAbout". And at this point all properties with a @rel attribute have a special role: they act as a generic container, the precise predicate is expressed by the value of the @rel. In this sense <related> is the most generic container, while a property like <facet> already scopes the relationships which make sense at this point.

      - and finally the object is the value of the property, expressed either as a code from a controlled vocabulary or a literal value

      This way one could express a property as an RDF triple in N3 notation as well:

      ConceptInThisItem hasNoOfSeats 83 .

      ConceptInThisItem hasOperator UCI .

      You see, 83 is a valid object of such a triple as UCI is. Therefore I can not agree with you that "83 is not a credible concept".

      Michael

      > (Okay, so POI already has a 'capacity' element, which is great, I'll
      > use
      > that - but the point generalises).
      >
      >          Paul

      > <*> Your email settings: