773Re: [newsml-g2] Properties of a concept

    Dec 22, 2008
      On 22 Dec 2008 at 17:04  Paul Harman wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm examining adopting G2 as a common interchange format between PA
      > content systems. Regarding typical article-based content it's a fairly
      > obvious choice of standard. However I also want to exchange data 9as
      > related to articles) - cinema listings, TV guides, sports results,
      > election results, school league tables.
      >
      > My particular query is to do with how I can extend conceptItems to add
      > new kinds of facts - for example, how many seats a particular cinema
      > has. The concept of 'number of seats' could come from a controlled
      > vocabulary of 'properties of a cinema', but the /value/ for number of
      > seats cannot practically come from a controlled vocabulary. But that's
      > not my understanding of how Qcodes work... Shouldn't every Qcode be
      > 'resolvable' as an item in it's own right?

      Paul, I just recently discussed something like that with dpa regarding EventsML-G2:

      - for fine grained descriptions of a concept use the <related> property (be aware: the <facet> is intended to refine the type of the concept, e.g. if the type is "person" you may add the facet "male" to it.)

      - a <related> property provides:
      -- a @rel to express the kind of relationship, e.g. "numberOfSeats"
      -- a @qcode or a @literal for the value

      This way you could add e.g.

      <related rel="poiProps:noOfSeats" literal="83" />

      <related rel="poiProps:operator" qcode="pacompanies:UCI" />

      (What I discussed with dpa: this way you can also add the CEO of a company - and more)

      > Is this where the G2 standard 'ends' and I need to invoke my own XML
      > fragments via the extensibility options - or, like NewsML 1.x, is there
      > a generic 'Property' element that I've overlooked?

      I still consider the G2 design as covering many, many requirements, this way you can avoid introducing new properties, you only have to add the corresponding taxonomies for relationships.

      Michael

      >          Paul

      > <*> Your email settings:
      >     Individual Email | Traditional