1194Re: [semweb-dev] Introducing schema.org: Search engines come together for a richer web ...

  • Raphaël Troncy
    Jun 2, 2011
      > This is essentially semantic markup – but it doesn’t use RDFa or
      > microformats but HTML5 microdata. So, a natural question is – what does
      > this mean for the IPTC’s work on rNews?

      Not exactly. See http://schema.org/docs/datamodel.html for the mapping
      in RDFa 1.1. The post acks the fact that you have 3 technologies
      available (microformats, rdfa and microdata) and that search engines use
      to handle those three. This will not stop. Microdata is not a
      recommendation, and it is very controversial in HTML5. RDFa is much more
      stable from my point of view, and more importantly, _extensible_.

      > If you look at http://www.schema.org/NewsArticle you’ll see that the
      > schema.org <http://schema.org> model is essentially a subset of the
      > current rNews model. We have been working on an RDFa markup
      > implementation of the rNews model, and we still see that as valuable.
      > However, even before today’s schema.org <http://schema.org>
      > announcement, we’ve been getting feedback that other markup
      > implementations of rNews would be important for the most widespread
      > adoption of rNews. This is consistent with the original charter for the
      > IPTC’s Semantic Web work and so it is natural for us to support
      > microdata alongside other ways to represent rNews. The key is for us to
      > ensure that the rNews model itself remain neutral so that publishers can
      > select the markup technologies that work best for them.

      I personally see schema.org as another vocab to establish mappings to do
      ... and I have started to do so.

      Raphaël Troncy
      2229, route des Crêtes, 06560 Sophia Antipolis, France.
      e-mail: raphael.troncy@... & raphael.troncy@...
      Tel: +33 (0)4 - 9300 8242
      Fax: +33 (0)4 - 9000 8200
      Web: http://www.eurecom.fr/~troncy/