1193Re: [semweb-dev] Introducing schema.org: Search engines come together for a richer web ...

  • Stuart Myles
    Jun 2, 2011

      Today on http://schema.org, Googe, Yahoo! and Microsoft have released their “collection of schemas, i.e., html tags, that webmasters can use to markup their pages in ways recognized by major search providers. Search engines including Bing, Google and Yahoo! rely on this markup to improve the display of search results, making it easier for people to find the right web pages.”

      http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2011/06/introducing-schemaorg-search-engines.html

      This is essentially semantic markup – but it doesn’t use RDFa or microformats but HTML5 microdata. So, a natural question is – what does this mean for the IPTC’s work on rNews?

      If you look at http://www.schema.org/NewsArticle you’ll see that the schema.org model is essentially a subset of the current rNews model. We have been working on an RDFa markup implementation of the rNews model, and we still see that as valuable. However, even before today’s schema.org announcement, we’ve been getting feedback that other markup implementations of rNews would be important for the most widespread adoption of rNews. This is consistent with the original charter for the IPTC’s Semantic Web work and so it is natural for us to support microdata alongside other ways to represent rNews. The key is for us to ensure that the rNews model itself remain neutral so that publishers can select the markup technologies that work best for them.

      The IPTC has reached out to the folks working on schema.org and we plan to align their properties with rNews and add others that were missing at launch. They recognize that we bring news industry knowledge to the table and we look forward to jointly driving adoption of both sets of work - schema.org and rNews.

      Regards,

      Stuart Myles, Evan Sandhaus, Andreas Gebhard

      On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM, <misha.wolf@...> wrote:

      See:

      Today we’re announcing schema.org, a new initiative from Google, Bing and Yahoo! to create and support a common set of schemas for structured data markup on web pages. Schema.org aims to be a one stop resource for webmasters looking to add markup to their pages to help search engines better understand their websites. [...]

      At:

      http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2011/06/introducing-schemaorg-search-engines.html