New name and new question

  • bajasd
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2012
      Please welcome the newly renamed "Puff" hull number 423 1972 Newport 30 MKII at Harbor Island West Marina in San Diego. Can't tell you the old name as it has been officially erased from Neptune's records of the sea by the official Vigor ceremony with lots of champange and supporting friends. I'll put an image of her new name and logo in the image file.

      Question: Awhile back I saw a post about the "mast slap" from the cable channel running inside the mast. I have had that problem for awhile and do see the row of rivets that are supposted to hold it firm.

      Anyone have any ideas how to stop it short of bringing down the mast?

      I've considered filling it with crack filler by drilling a small hole between the spreader and the top of the mast and trying to fill from there?

      Thaks,
      Mike Morrow
    • Joe Baker
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2012
        Welcome to the Fleet, looking forward to seeing "Puff" out on the water... Watch for "Wasserschloss", we are based in Fiddler's Cove at the Naval Amphib Base in South Coronado...
        Joe Bakers/v WasserschlossHull number 67
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2012
          Although we did ours with the mast down for other reasons (Internal
          halyards and new wind transponder), the job could be done from a bosuns chair on
          the jib halyard. The tool that we found most effective is a set of cleekos
          (I think that is the correct name and spelling) These are tools use by sheet
          metal workers and auto body panel repair.
          They are hard to describe Maybe I can find a picture on the Internet.
          Anyway, they are metal cylinders that when you squeeze them, a probe extends.
          You insert this through the rivet hole in the mast and then into the hole in
          the conduit. When you release them, the probe expands in width and retracts
          in length, pulling the conduit into contact with the mast. We installed a
          set of these along the length of the conduit (there are actually two
          sections, split where the steaming and decklight is installed). Then we went back
          and starting in the middle, released one cleeko and inserted a pop rivet.
          Then moved up and down the mast alternately pulling out the cleeko and
          attaching with a rivet.
          Having the mast down was an advantage getting the first cleeko in place as
          we could reach in and shift the conduit until the first hole lined up. From
          there it seemed to be self aligning
          OK found that the correct spelling is Cleco. See picture
          Marty and Peggy Besant
          Newport 30-3 Margarita
          RCR Skyway Marina
          Buffalo NY