Standing Rigging

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
      Hey Folks,
      I am getting ready to redo my standing rigging. It has been at least 12
      years and probably longer since it was replaced.
      My plan is to do prep work and then have a yard pull the mast. Then take the
      rigging off and take it to a rigging shop to make the new rigging.
      But this is my first time out on this venture so I have a bunch of
      questions;

      1. Any body have recommendation for good AND cheap rigging shop in Bay Area?
      2. Besides replacing all the shrouds should I also just replace all the
      fittings, turnbuckls, plates, bolts etc? Or should these be inspected and
      replaced as needed? If inspected then by eye? Or Xray or something?
      3. Once everything is back in place is it worth hiring a professional tuner?
      Or should I just borrow a tensiometer and tune it myself?
      4. Any advice? (Boy is that a dangerous question)!
      Thanks all,
      Tony
      S/v Now & Zen
      78 N30 II

    • Nick Edgecomb
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
        I just finished doing my rigging and had Hansons out of Alameda do the job. I Had Napa Valley marine pull the mast. First
        Class job. All hardware was included. If pulling the mast you might check all other systems on the mast at the same time. (electrical,lights and running rigging) I am at Napa valley marina this weekend if want to check out my job. They are having a big flea market sale Sat May 2 from 8-5. Nick Diastole Newport 1986
        mk 111. 661-623-1657

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jun 1, 2012, at 1:42, Tony <tobourque@...> wrote:

        > Hey Folks,
        > I am getting ready to redo my standing rigging. It has been at least 12
        > years and probably longer since it was replaced.
        > My plan is to do prep work and then have a yard pull the mast. Then take the
        > rigging off and take it to a rigging shop to make the new rigging.
        > But this is my first time out on this venture so I have a bunch of
        > questions;
        >
        > 1. Any body have recommendation for good AND cheap rigging shop in Bay Area?
        > 2. Besides replacing all the shrouds should I also just replace all the
        > fittings, turnbuckls, plates, bolts etc? Or should these be inspected and
        > replaced as needed? If inspected then by eye? Or Xray or something?
        > 3. Once everything is back in place is it worth hiring a professional tuner?
        > Or should I just borrow a tensiometer and tune it myself?
        > 4. Any advice? (Boy is that a dangerous question)!
        > Thanks all,
        > Tony
        > S/v Now & Zen
        > 78 N30 II

      • Nick Edgecomb
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
          Tony I gave a date and I think I put may 2 instead of June 2 this Sat. Hansons will also tune it for you after stepping the mast.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jun 1, 2012, at 1:42, Tony <tobourque@...> wrote:

          > Hey Folks,
          > I am getting ready to redo my standing rigging. It has been at least 12
          > years and probably longer since it was replaced.
          > My plan is to do prep work and then have a yard pull the mast. Then take the
          > rigging off and take it to a rigging shop to make the new rigging.
          > But this is my first time out on this venture so I have a bunch of
          > questions;
          >
          > 1. Any body have recommendation for good AND cheap rigging shop in Bay Area?
          > 2. Besides replacing all the shrouds should I also just replace all the
          > fittings, turnbuckls, plates, bolts etc? Or should these be inspected and
          > replaced as needed? If inspected then by eye? Or Xray or something?
          > 3. Once everything is back in place is it worth hiring a professional tuner?
          > Or should I just borrow a tensiometer and tune it myself?
          > 4. Any advice? (Boy is that a dangerous question)!
          > Thanks all,
          > Tony
          > S/v Now & Zen
          > 78 N30 II

        • RAY TOSTADO
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
            On e-bay is a brand new Harkin furler rig for $255. It is described as being for a 30' boat.

            rt

            On Jun 1, 2012, at 1:42, Tony <tobourque@...<mailto:tobourque%40comcast.net>> wrote:

            > Hey Folks,
            > I am getting ready to redo my standing rigging. It has been at least 12
            > years and probably longer since it was replaced.
            > My plan is to do prep work and then have a yard pull the mast. Then take the
            > rigging off and take it to a rigging shop to make the new rigging.
            > But this is my first time out on this venture so I have a bunch of
            > questions;
            >
            > 1. Any body have recommendation for good AND cheap rigging shop in Bay Area?
            > 2. Besides replacing all the shrouds should I also just replace all the
            > fittings, turnbuckls, plates, bolts etc? Or should these be inspected and
            > replaced as needed? If inspected then by eye? Or Xray or something?
            > 3. Once everything is back in place is it worth hiring a professional tuner?
            > Or should I just borrow a tensiometer and tune it myself?
            > 4. Any advice? (Boy is that a dangerous question)!
            > Thanks all,
            > Tony
            > S/v Now & Zen
            > 78 N30 II

          • Tony
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
              Thanks Ray and Nick. I have already planned on rewiring, some new
              instruments and will be replacing a halyard and already have roller furling.

              I will give Hanson's a call.

              Thanks again,
              Tony

              From: RAY TOSTADO <RAYTOSTADO@...>
              Date: Friday, June 1, 2012 6:58 AM
              To: <newportsailboats@yahoogroups.com>

              <mailto:tobourque%40comcast.net> <mailto:tobourque%40comcast.net>> wrote:

              > Hey Folks,
              > I am getting ready to redo my standing rigging. It has been at least 12
              > years and probably longer since it was replaced.
              > My plan is to do prep work and then have a yard pull the mast. Then take
              the
              > rigging off and take it to a rigging shop to make the new rigging.
              > But this is my first time out on this venture so I have a bunch of
              > questions;
              >
              > 1. Any body have recommendation for good AND cheap rigging shop in Bay
              Area?
              > 2. Besides replacing all the shrouds should I also just replace all the
              > fittings, turnbuckls, plates, bolts etc? Or should these be inspected and
              > replaced as needed? If inspected then by eye? Or Xray or something?
              > 3. Once everything is back in place is it worth hiring a professional
              tuner?
              > Or should I just borrow a tensiometer and tune it myself?
              > 4. Any advice? (Boy is that a dangerous question)!
              > Thanks all,
              > Tony
              > S/v Now & Zen
              > 78 N30 II

            • Harley Nygren
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
                Several years ago I witnessed a rerigging at Jabin's Yacht Yard in Annapolis. They didn't even beach the boat. Pulled it into a slip near their lift gear, set up a reel of wire on the dock. and proceeded to peel it off, rig an end fitting, sent it up the crane, cut off where necessary, and move to the next wire. It didn't take very long. This was a Newport 30. I estimate it took maybe 4 hours, with several hands being involved. The rigger quoted me a price with my bringing each length in to their shop rather than them doing it on site. This would require so many trips up the mast that I declined.
                Regards,
                Harley

              • mbesant@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
                  A nearly invisible feature to check when the mast is down; be sure that all
                  the rivets on the front of the mast,that hold the internal electrical
                  conduits, are still in place. If one near either end is missing, the movement
                  of the conduit will eventually continue to tear out more until the flapping
                  and banging drive you crazy
                  FWIW
                  Marty and Peggy Besant
                  1987 Newport 30-3 Margarita
                  RCR Skyway Marina
                  Buffalo NY

                  (mailto:tobourque@...) > wrote:

                  > Hey Folks,
                  > I am getting ready to redo my standing rigging. It has been at least 12
                  > years and probably longer since it was replaced.
                  > My plan is to do prep work and then have a yard pull the mast. Then take
                  the
                  > rigging off and take it to a rigging shop to make the new rigging.
                  > But this is my first time out on this venture so I have a bunch of
                  > questions;
                  >
                  > 1. Any body have recommendation for good AND cheap rigging shop in Bay
                  Area?
                  > 2. Besides replacing all the shrouds should I also just replace all the
                  > fittings, turnbuckls, plates, bolts etc? Or should these be inspected and
                  > replaced as needed? If inspected then by eye? Or Xray or something?
                  > 3. Once everything is back in place is it worth hiring a professional
                  tuner?
                  > Or should I just borrow a tensiometer and tune it myself?
                  > 4. Any advice? (Boy is that a dangerous question)!
                  > Thanks all,
                  > Tony
                  > S/v Now & Zen
                  > 78 N30 II

                • Larry Leckness
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
                    Marty-- Thanks for letting us all know where the rivets should be. We
                    Have loose conduit. I will check them next time on boat.
                    Larry Leckness
                    92 33PH

                    Sent from my iPhone

                  • Tony Bourque
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
                      Thanks I will look for that.
                      At the mast step are the wires connected via a connector of some sort? I will be adding some additional wires, replacing the existing and adding coax for a masthead antenna. I M thinking of using deck plate connectors for these but would love to hear what others have done.

                      Sent from my iPhone

                    • Cliff Smith
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
                        We agree,
                        After more than a decade of bang bang bang we dropped the mast and did the mast
                        rework to quiet it.

                        Design flaw. What a difference!

                        Lake Perry Kansas: Last Saturday: 20 Knot winds with 30 + KPH gusts

                        Best Regards,
                        Cliff
                        Bon Vivant
                        Newport Mark III 30

                        ________________________________

                        (mailto:tobourque@...) > wrote:

                        > Hey Folks,
                        > I am getting ready to redo my standing rigging. It has been at least 12
                        > years and probably longer since it was replaced.
                        > My plan is to do prep work and then have a yard pull the mast. Then take
                        the
                        > rigging off and take it to a rigging shop to make the new rigging.
                        > But this is my first time out on this venture so I have a bunch of
                        > questions;
                        >
                        > 1. Any body have recommendation for good AND cheap rigging shop in Bay
                        Area?
                        > 2. Besides replacing all the shrouds should I also just replace all the
                        > fittings, turnbuckls, plates, bolts etc? Or should these be inspected and
                        > replaced as needed? If inspected then by eye? Or Xray or something?
                        > 3. Once everything is back in place is it worth hiring a professional
                        tuner?
                        > Or should I just borrow a tensiometer and tune it myself?
                        > 4. Any advice? (Boy is that a dangerous question)!
                        > Thanks all,
                        > Tony
                        > S/v Now & Zen
                        > 78 N30 II

                      • Russ Wampler
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 1, 2012
                          Tony-

                          Before you drop the mast you should get some dockside estimates.  I think the
                          cost can be highly variable and you should have a hard estimate before you get
                          everything down and commit to being on lay days and yard fees for mast storage.
                          I have heard that Svendsens does good rig work.  Also let them do the measuring
                          before so they can have an exact measure of the existing rig.  If you DIY the
                          measure and it is incorrect it will cost you additional to correct the
                          mis-measurement.

                          On your question about replacing the tangs, pins, plates, bolts, turnbuckles,
                          etc.  The answer is yes, everything -should- be replaced.  While I suppose you
                          could x-ray the fittings it might be more expensive to have x-rays and analysis
                          done than to just re-fit the hardware.  You should also inspect your masthead
                          for any signs of corrosion or cracking of the stay mounts.

                          I have heard that Titanium makes an excellent replacement for Stainless on
                          chainplates; and potentially less expensive than Stainless.  Call a local
                          machine shop and ask them if they can make Titanium components out of plate
                          steel for a similar cost.  They might also be able to make the tangs out of
                          Titanium also.

                          I don't think you need someone to tune the boat professionally.  I'd be happy to
                          help you do this for free.

                          -Russ

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 2, 2012
                            When we did our recent rerig, we replaced wiring. The wires from the cabin were joined at the mast base with simple crimp fittings. We chose to use fittings with heat shrink attached.

                            We replaced all wiring to the lights and masthead. We found that it was difficult to pull heavier wire through the conduit. We tried running it from the base and from the fittings, and found one or the other approach worked, but not necessarily the first time. The opening at the mast head was very small. We started with duplex and triplex wire, and had to pull it back and remove the covering. I think the pop rivets (which we redid) interfered with the movement of the wire through the conduit.

                            There's a small oval opening through the mast wall at the step. The wires were visibile though there. Incidentally, we found that some critter had taken up residence in there at some point, and had chewed on some wires, but not all the way through them.

                            Greg
                            S/V Margaret B.
                            30 Mk III

                            --- In newportsailboats@yahoogroups.com, Tony Bourque <tobourque@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks I will look for that.
                            > At the mast step are the wires connected via a connector of some sort? I will be adding some additional wires, replacing the existing and adding coax for a masthead antenna. I M thinking of using deck plate connectors for these but would love to hear what others have done.
                            >
                            > Sent from my iPhone
                            >
                            > On Jun 1, 2012, at 11:46 AM, mbesant@... wrote:
                            >
                            > > A nearly invisible feature to check when the mast is down; be sure that all
                            > > the rivets on the front of the mast,that hold the internal electrical
                            > > conduits, are still in place. If one near either end is missing, the movement
                            > > of the conduit will eventually continue to tear out more until the flapping
                            > > and banging drive you crazy
                            > > FWIW
                            > > Marty and Peggy Besant
                            > > 1987 Newport 30-3 Margarita
                            > > RCR Skyway Marina
                            > > Buffalo NY
                            > >

                            > > In a message dated 6/1/2012 9:26:43 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                            > > nickedgecomb1@... writes:
                            > >
                            > > I just finished doing my rigging and had Hansons out of Alameda do the job.
                            > > I Had Napa Valley marine pull the mast. First
                            > > Class job. All hardware was included. If pulling the mast you might check
                            > > all other systems on the mast at the same time. (electrical,lights and
                            > > running rigging) I am at Napa valley marina this weekend if want to check out
                            > > my job. They are having a big flea market sale Sat May 2 from 8-5. Nick
                            > > Diastole Newport 1986
                            > > mk 111. 661-623-1657
                            > >
                            > > Sent from my iPhone
                            > >
                            > > On Jun 1, 2012, at 1:42, Tony <_tobourque@..._
                            > > (mailto:tobourque@...) > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > Hey Folks,
                            > > > I am getting ready to redo my standing rigging. It has been at least 12
                            > > > years and probably longer since it was replaced.
                            > > > My plan is to do prep work and then have a yard pull the mast. Then take
                            > > the
                            > > > rigging off and take it to a rigging shop to make the new rigging.
                            > > > But this is my first time out on this venture so I have a bunch of
                            > > > questions;
                            > > >
                            > > > 1. Any body have recommendation for good AND cheap rigging shop in Bay
                            > > Area?
                            > > > 2. Besides replacing all the shrouds should I also just replace all the
                            > > > fittings, turnbuckls, plates, bolts etc? Or should these be inspected and
                            > > > replaced as needed? If inspected then by eye? Or Xray or something?
                            > > > 3. Once everything is back in place is it worth hiring a professional
                            > > tuner?
                            > > > Or should I just borrow a tensiometer and tune it myself?
                            > > > 4. Any advice? (Boy is that a dangerous question)!
                            > > > Thanks all,
                            > > > Tony
                            > > > S/v Now & Zen
                            > > > 78 N30 II

                          • dgossack
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 11, 2012
                              Keith-

                              I recently bought a 79 N30 MkII in Semiahmoo Marina, Blaine. It has quite a bit of deferred maintenance. One of those areas is the standing rigging.

                              Do you still have the measurements you took for the ones you ordered? I would check them against mine but it would be a great doublecheck. I appreciate the review of your experience with Rigging Only.

                              Thanks.

                              Daniel Gossack
                              "Raven"
                              79 N30 MkII