Corinthian Midwinter Races

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
      For you SF Bay Area Newport owners, anybody interested in doing the Corinthian Midwinters? There are two weekend races in January and February (Jan 21-22, and Feb 19-20; I think!) I did the races last year, and finished third in division, which suprised me! I think I read somewhere that they would do a one-design division if they had 5 or more boats. It would be fun to have other Newport 30's (any Newports,really....) out there. Check out www.cyc.org for more info.

      Brian Forster
      No Agenda
      N30 Mk II
      Sausalito
    • nick edgecomb
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
        Brian could you send me more info? I have a fresh overhaul and am at Napa Valley marine for the winter. What do I need to qualify to race? How many crew do I need?  I would like to race.
        Nick Edgecomb
        Newport 30 111 1986
        nedgecomb1@...

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
          Nick,

          Corinthian's website will answer most of what you need to know: cost, etc. Have you ever raced before? If not, somebody probably should walk you through it, but it's not hard. One nice thing about Corinthian is that they don't require a PHRF certificate to race. Newport 30's base rating is 174 (that's with a folding prop), in case you don't know. (Although it might be different for a Mk III.) Crew? It depends....I often race solo, but it gets busy! Two other crew would be nice, one to handle each jib sheet and/or main.

          If the Corithian's website doesn't answer your questions, I guess we should talk more! (I'm sure others in the group would be glad to help too, right?!)

          Brian

          --- In newportsailboats@yahoogroups.com, nick edgecomb <nedgecomb1@...> wrote:

          > Brian could you send me more info? I have a fresh overhaul and am at Napa Valley marine for the winter. What do I need to qualify to race? How many crew do I need?  I would like to race.
          > Nick Edgecomb
          > Newport 30 111 1986
          > nedgecomb1@...

        • Dick Aronoff
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
            Nick & Brian,

            Two Newport 30s are already racing the Berkeley Midwinter Races on the
            Berkeley Olympic Circle. Races are on the 2nd Saturday of December, January
            & February (the next race is December 10th). The Notice of Race, Race
            Instructions, List of Entrants, and Prior Race Results, are available at the
            Berkeley Yacht Club web site.
            http://www.berkeleyyc.org/racing/midwinters/index.html

            Both HARRY and ACHATES would appreciate the company.

            Dick Aronoff

            HARRY

            1974 Newport 30 #547

            <mailto:newportsailboats%40yahoogroups.com> , nick edgecomb <nedgecomb1@...>
            wrote:

            > Brian could you send me more info? I have a fresh overhaul and am at Napa
            Valley marine for the winter. What do I need to qualify to race? How many
            crew do I need? I would like to race.
            > Nick Edgecomb
            > Newport 30 111 1986
            > nedgecomb1@...

          • Robert Schock
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2011
              And I think if we get 5 boats we can get our own start.
              Bob

              ACHATES