glow plugs

  • Anthony Vagianos
    Message 1 of 57 , Jul 2, 2011
      Hi all,

      I bought a 1984 N27 last year and sail it on Lake Champlain. I am no
      mechanic but am trying to sort through issues on my own with the Universal
      diesel 5411. Last summer I put in a starter and remedied some overheating
      issues and overall the engine was reliable. Summer came late this year and
      we had major flooding of docks and marinas so the boat just went in a few
      days ago. I can't get the engine to start. Cranks fine and feels like it
      is so close to catching but just doesn't. I opened my books and decided to
      begin with bleeding the fuel, probably did not do a good job of it as I was
      by myself and needed to crank the engine and watch for air by myself(no
      manual bleed lever). I'll try that again with some help .

      Anyway, while I was fussing with it for a while I realized that the glow
      plugs were not working. Am pretty sure its the plugs themselves and not a
      wiring issue. A guy in the yard said that they are not needed now as the air
      temp has been 75-85 degrees. He says his Yanmar does not have them at all.
      I'll replace them regardless, but wonder if he is speaking the truth. So, do
      I need them now? I am on a mooring now far from shore power so no heat guns
      or things to warm the motor.

      Thanks for any help

    • jsvba@aol.com
      Message 57 of 57 , Jul 21, 2011