Re: [Newport Sailboats] Re: Alternator Failure - Atomic 4 Motarola 35 amp 1978 Vintage

  • Russ Wampler
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2011
      The boat is running on diesel, so requires no battery to remain running. Disconnecting the battery while the engine is running is a bad idea because the diodes in the alternator will be blown out.

      Anyone with a Perkins 4-108 have a good source for an alternator replacement?

    • atroyer730
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2011
        Just an update on my alternator. I still have good friend! It turns
        out that the volt meter on my boat was bad. I did a few tests and got a
        good meter and everything is just great. Thanks for all the advise, I'm
        sure I'll be using it in the future.

        Thanks to All
        Allen Troyer

        --- In newportsailboats@yahoogroups.com, "atroyer730" <atroyer730@...>
        wrote:

        > Greatings from the Great Lakes,
        > Last fall a friend offered to pump out the bilge. By accident, he
        reversed polarity of the cables when he hooked the battery up (Said he
        disconnected them as soon as he smelled smoke). Put the boat in the
        water this last week and it started rite up but No Alternator. Any
        ideas as to where I start.