Re: [Newport Sailboats] New to the Newport family

  • Tim Minski
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010
      Craig - what are the specs on your memory foam (how thick, how dense, manufacturer, etc)? where did you get it? do you find that it makes you too hot sometimes? did you just add it to the existing foam? if so, how thick was existing? ...all these questions...

      I'm in the same project... revisiting cushions.

      Tim
      s/v Pixie
      1980 Capital Yachts Gulf 29 Pilothouse

      http://home.earthlink.net/~g29
      http://tminski.blogspot.com
      http://picasaweb.google.com/tminski

    • Don
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010
        Tim,

        I'm waiting for an order from Walmart for a Spa Sensations 8" Memory Foam Mattress that I plan to cut down to fit my V bunk. It's actually 3 layer of differing foam with the top layer being memory foam.

        Don W
        N30
        Anacortes, WA

        Craig - what are the specs on your memory foam (how thick, how dense, manufacturer, etc)? where did you get it? do you find that it makes you too hot sometimes? did you just add it to the existing foam? if so, how thick was existing? ...all these questions...

        I'm in the same project... revisiting cushions.

        Tim
        s/v Pixie
        1980 Capital Yachts Gulf 29 Pilothouse

        http://home.earthlink.net/~g29
        http://tminski.blogspot.com
        http://picasaweb.google.com/tminski

        On Nov 29, 2010, at 5:07 PM, Craig Russell <fungod@...> wrote:

        > Hi Ron,
        >
        > Sorry for your pain! It will be worth it once you have in the water! Throw
        > this one out to the group as I donot have one. Mine is N30 from 81. Most
        > of the wiring had been redone on mine when I purchased 10 years ago so I did
        > not worry about it.
        >
        > Went out for a sunset sail last night in the SF bay. Winds were 10-12 from
        > the NE and it was a sweet sail to Angel Island. Nobody out so I locked the
        > wheel and spent some time in the bow on my bean bag chair. Get a bean bag
        > chair everyone. They are great to move around the boat and offer lots of
        > comfort. Also purchased some memory foam for the v-bearth and am sleeping
        > much better on the old cushions.
        >
        > Fair winds!
        >
        > Craig Russell
        > s/v Addiction 1981 Newport 30 MK III
        > Emeryville, CA
        > http://addiction30.tripod.com/ Our Newport 30 site
        > http://h2uh0.blogspot.com/ Mostly wet stuff!
        >

        > On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Ron Waclawik <waclawik@...> wrote:
        >

        >> Craig: My name is Ron Waclawik. I recently purchased a 1984 Newport 27 S
        >> II. We keep it in Watkins Glen, NY. Perhaps we can share some pain :) I
        >> have been doing a lot of upgrading / cleaning. Everything but sailing it. I
        >>
        >> have a manual for my boat, but the wiring diagrams are a little sparse.
        >> Drop
        >> a line sometime if you run across a detailed wiring diagram for a Newport
        >> 27. . Ron W

      • Craig Russell
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010
          Hi Tim,

          I think mine is 1.5" maybe 2" Got it at Costco for $99. Not sure on who made it but Costco has pretty good stuff. It just lays on top and I put it in a locker when not in use. Pretty cool here in SF so not a problem with getting warm.

          Another thing I tried recently was to put a bridge between the starboard and port bunks for sleeping. I have a cool roll up table that I lay between the bunks (a thin piece of wood that could hide under a bunk works too) and makes for a nice long bed. I am 6'6" so it was nice that my legs could stretch out.

          One question, I have been calling it the salon forever but then see folks call the sitting/dining area the saloon. Any difference, which is correct?

          On Dec 1, 2010, at 8:22 AM, Don wrote:

          > Tim,
          >
          > I'm waiting for an order from Walmart for a Spa Sensations 8" Memory Foam Mattress that I plan to cut down to fit my V bunk. It's actually 3 layer of differing foam with the top layer being memory foam.
          >
          > Don W
          > N30
          > Anacortes, WA

        • Dick Latour
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010
            Craig,

            I have seen it called both salon and saloon. The only thing I can think of
            is if you drink more in the cabin you must call it a saloon.

            Just my opinion.

            Dick Latour
            Gulf 32
            Pegasus

            > I think mine is 1.5" maybe 2" Got it at Costco for $99. Not sure on who
            > made it but Costco has pretty good stuff. It just lays on top and I put
            > it in a locker when not in use. Pretty cool here in SF so not a problem
            > with getting warm.
            >
            > Another thing I tried recently was to put a bridge between the starboard
            > and port bunks for sleeping. I have a cool roll up table that I lay
            > between the bunks (a thin piece of wood that could hide under a bunk works
            > too) and makes for a nice long bed. I am 6'6" so it was nice that my legs
            > could stretch out.
            >
            > One question, I have been calling it the salon forever but then see folks
            > call the sitting/dining area the saloon. Any difference, which is
            > correct?
            >

            > Craig Russell
            > s/v Addiction 1981 Newport 30 MK III
            > Emeryville, CA
            > http://addiction30.tripod.com/ Our Newport 30 site
            > http://h2uh0.blogspot.com/ Mostly wet stuff!

          • RAY TOSTADO
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 1, 2010
              There is no more a comfortable berth than a 2,000 foot spinnaker.

              rt

              http://home.earthlink.net/~g29<http://home.earthlink.net/~g29>
              http://tminski.blogspot.com<http://tminski.blogspot.com/>
              http://picasaweb.google.com/tminski<http://picasaweb.google.com/tminski>

              On Nov 29, 2010, at 5:07 PM, Craig Russell <fungod@...<mailto:fungod%40gmail.com>> wrote:

              > Hi Ron,
              >
              > Sorry for your pain! It will be worth it once you have in the water! Throw
              > this one out to the group as I donot have one. Mine is N30 from 81. Most
              > of the wiring had been redone on mine when I purchased 10 years ago so I did
              > not worry about it.
              >
              > Went out for a sunset sail last night in the SF bay. Winds were 10-12 from
              > the NE and it was a sweet sail to Angel Island. Nobody out so I locked the
              > wheel and spent some time in the bow on my bean bag chair. Get a bean bag
              > chair everyone. They are great to move around the boat and offer lots of
              > comfort. Also purchased some memory foam for the v-bearth and am sleeping
              > much better on the old cushions.
              >
              > Fair winds!
              >
              > Craig Russell
              > s/v Addiction 1981 Newport 30 MK III
              > Emeryville, CA
              > http://addiction30.tripod.com/<http://addiction30.tripod.com/> Our Newport 30 site
              > http://h2uh0.blogspot.com/<http://h2uh0.blogspot.com/> Mostly wet stuff!
              >

              > On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Ron Waclawik <waclawik@...<mailto:waclawik%40ptd.net>> wrote:
              >

              >> Craig: My name is Ron Waclawik. I recently purchased a 1984 Newport 27 S
              >> II. We keep it in Watkins Glen, NY. Perhaps we can share some pain :) I
              >> have been doing a lot of upgrading / cleaning. Everything but sailing it. I
              >>
              >> have a manual for my boat, but the wiring diagrams are a little sparse.
              >> Drop
              >> a line sometime if you run across a detailed wiring diagram for a Newport
              >> 27. . Ron W

            • RAY TOSTADO
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 2, 2010
                I cannot remember ever having less than one, maybe four, beanbags on board. But on a big boat they do not take up as much space as in smaller vessels.

                IOR racer boats were brutal in that many had no cockpit seating. Just a deep work well and the cockpit crew would have to sit on the high side with their backs against the life lines. A real uncomfortable position to maintain without something soft to lean against. Helming was the most painful because the shoulders work back and forth trimming the course.

                Fortunately I had a crew gal who could build them for me. Any color, and size.

                Today, I use them to lay on when I have some work duty requiring my belly down position. Or, even to kneel on.

                The fabric ones are the most comfy, but they have to stay dry, or.... So vinyl is best for general all around use. They can be hand wiped with a wet rag and have a longer life than fabrics. The pellets you stuff them with will determine what they are best suited for. You can buy BB pellet size of large shipping pack peanut shaped.

                My sympathies go out to you who live beyond the local mountains. It seems anything east of the San Gabriels are in deep doo-doo snow, rain, and cold. Here in over crowded So Cal, including Michael's land of the Bolts, San Diego, the night chill is in the high '30s, the sun comes out and by 10am it's in the low '70s. Just about what anyone would want for a 'severe' winter weather.

                Yesterday I did an 18 mile trip on Baseline from the yard back to the slip. New bottom and polished the Martec and replaced 2 zincs.

                The waters in So Bay, [Santa Monica Bay], were calm with very low slow swells. The wind was around nil to 5 kts, and the air around the low '70s. All the way home. The high clouds were vague twist con trails and mare's tails against stark blue skies. It even hinted at being hot for the last third of the trip. I was on auto pilot the entire distance. Just an occasional button push now and then. The P 4-108 was left at 1800 the entire trip. Never touched it until I was passing the fuel dock in our basin. Made the trip in 3 hours.

                For me there's not a lot of sense in living in snow country unless I'm skiing 100 days a year. It's why I moved to Salt Lake for 8 years. But when the skiing stopped I just came back to the family house on the hill overlooking Hollywood.

                rt

              • Jeffrey Beardsley
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 2, 2010
                  Ray,

                  You're waxing nostalgic; I can empathize. Even though the knees aren't the
                  first to go, they are the first to go. It begins to get painful whenever I
                  need to work on my knees (no sarcastic comments please). I've obtained knee
                  pads for working at home. I have wrestling knee pads I use when racing and
                  when working on the boat.

                  As for living in snow country, I don't disagree; I don't ski. But I do like
                  a definite "four seasons". Even here in the Pacific Northwest we have four
                  definite seasons, without a whole lot of snow. On the other hand, if you
                  like the snow, it's only an hour's drive away; sort of like SLC.

                  I'll come visit California, I'll sail with you anytime (just say when), but
                  I've lived in that and I don't really want to do it again. Nanny state
                  politics is part of it I'll admit. But mostly I just like living in a small
                  town and having the major city "just down the road". Think Oxnard/Los
                  Angeles 50+ years ago. But, alas, times change.

                  My wife wants to move to somewhere warmer when we are both retired (2-4
                  years from now), we're thinking Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam,.you get the
                  picture.

                  Best Regards

                  Jeffrey Beardsley

                  SV Honu

                  Newport 33

                  Port of Everett, WA

                • Captndlbrown@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 2, 2010
                    Dear RT I am soooo jealos....Slid off the road into a ditch/.
                    yesterday..The snow was like oil and jello, my breaks are dead as are my tires...
                    Life is down to a well stocked wood pile. a freezer full of chickens
                    rabbits, tomatoes, trout, kale, broccili, rubarb,raspberries, elderberries,
                    sweet corn,,, and a bit of venison from last year, still hoping for a buck.
                    Enjoy the traffic....Captn D

                    In a message dated 12/2/2010 10:32:03 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    RAYTOSTADO@... writes:

[...]

                    0

                  • Michael Durfey
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 4, 2010
                      ?From 16 miles north of the Mexican border.

                      It has been a brutal winter here in San Diego as well.
                      5 nights of frost so far, and it's early December. This is after zero days of frost last year.
                      Most of my tomato plants have withered, and the leaves on my banana tree are brown!
                      True, it gets up to the 60s/70s in the daytime, but when I go out to get the paper in the morning and see frost on my truck I wish global warming would send a little my way.

                      Don't listen to Ray, this cold has been an herbalogical disaster.

                      Michael
                      Frosty San Diego

                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 5, 2010
                        Hi Craig,

                        Sorry for the delayed response on this... I'm not often in Costco and the like, so I seem to forget them as potential marine supply shops. I needed your reminder!

                        I'd name it contextually based on the activity - Saloon if you're drinkin' and gamblin', Salon if you're getting your nails and hair done.

                        thanks,

                        Tim

                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 5, 2010
                          Hi Don,

                          Ahh, another good source for marine supplies... and a good idea. Thank you, sir!

                          Tim

                        • Russ Wampler
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 6, 2010
                            I put a 3" thick memory foam layer over the top of my existing v-berth cushions
                            and it worked nicely. It's not a memory foam mattress; it's just a top layer.
                            The bed is still quite firm but it's not so hard that I have sore spots in the
                            morning; and no more back ache!

                            ________________________________
                            Sorry for the delayed response on this... I'm not often in Costco and the like,
                            so I seem to forget them as potential marine supply shops. I needed your
                            reminder!

                            I'd name it contextually based on the activity - Saloon if you're drinkin' and
                            gamblin', Salon if you're getting your nails and hair done.

                            thanks,

                            Tim

                            On Dec 1, 2010, at 12:44 PM, Craig Russell <fungod@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Tim,
                            >
                            > I think mine is 1.5" maybe 2" Got it at Costco for $99. Not sure on who made
                            >it but Costco has pretty good stuff. It just lays on top and I put it in a
                            >locker when not in use. Pretty cool here in SF so not a problem with getting
                            >warm.
                            >
                            > Another thing I tried recently was to put a bridge between the starboard and
                            >port bunks for sleeping. I have a cool roll up table that I lay between the
                            >bunks (a thin piece of wood that could hide under a bunk works too) and makes
                            >for a nice long bed. I am 6'6" so it was nice that my legs could stretch out.
                            >
                            > One question, I have been calling it the salon forever but then see folks call
                            >the sitting/dining area the saloon. Any difference, which is correct?
                            >

                            > Craig Russell
                            > s/v Addiction 1981 Newport 30 MK III
                            > Emeryville, CA
                            > http://addiction30.tripod.com/ Our Newport 30 site
                            > http://h2uh0.blogspot.com/ Mostly wet stuff!
                            >

                            > On Dec 1, 2010, at 8:22 AM, Don wrote:
                            >
                            >> Tim,
                            >>
                            >> I'm waiting for an order from Walmart for a Spa Sensations 8" Memory Foam
                            >>Mattress that I plan to cut down to fit my V bunk. It's actually 3 layer of
                            >>differing foam with the top layer being memory foam.
                            >>

                            >> Don W
                            >> N30
                            >> Anacortes, WA

                          • RAY TOSTADO
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 6, 2010
                              All this conversation over having a nice soft bedding under one's less than firm body is very comical, to my family background. Here I am 105 years old and still am close to sleeping on a sheet of plywood. I wake up refreshed, no back ache, or kink from sleeping in an undatural position.

                              My paternal grandmother was an old country holistic practitioner. Even had her own clinic. She would make here grandchildren sleep on firm straight beds whenever they would visit.

                              And then in later life this training was of great benefit when it came to getting a good on-the-job mid day nap in the front seat of a Ford pick up. I have even been willing to try this soft is nice sleep mode. I had a water bed for one winter at my ski digs. I kept feeling I was falling out of bed.

                              rt