Bilge Pump Switch(es)

  • Roger
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2010
      Previous owner replaced the pump with a Rule that has an integral switch. She said not to worry about the external float switch attached to the board, that she didn't want to pay the electrician she hired to remove it.

      So while I was cleaning out the bilge, I raised the flapper to clean beneath it and the pump came on. So now it appears that I have two switches. It appears the external switch will close after the Rule.

      Note: I also have a 'on/off/auto' switch mounted on the bulkhead.

      My question is: DO I HAVE A PROBLEM?

      Roger
      Restless Wind
      Port Orchard, WA
      On The Salish Sea
    • RAY TOSTADO
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2010
        Just be certain to have proper fuses available at the switch. If the two pumps come on at the same time there might be a slight overload moment. But I doubt it. You could even raise the fuse rating and trigger both switches at the same time. But after all, either switch only powers up one pump.

        Add another pump!

        Actually it might be nice having a positive back up in place.

        rt

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2010
          I thought about raising the float switch and adding another, much higher
          volume pump. But don't they draw huge power, requiring larger wire, another
          hole in the hull, and et cetera?

          ~~_/)~~_/)~~_/)~~_/)~~_/)~~_/)~~_/)~~_/)~~

        • Jeffrey Beardsley
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2010
            The reality is, from what you describe, that you "could" have a problem.
            Your description indicates that you a new Rule pump equipped with an
            internal switch. And that pump is apparently still connected through the
            external float switch. I'm not real excited about two bilge pump switches in
            "series". That opens the possibility to one of them failing and you have
            nothing at all. Of course that's what occurs with only one switch.
            Personally, I'd get rid of the external float switch; It's redundant.
            Additionally, you have a "Bilge Pump" switch on your electrical panel. This
            is to manually control the bilge pump. The pump itself should also be
            connected directly to the hot terminal of the battery.

            I have no experience with integral bilge pump switches so I have no opinion
            over which is best. But if my pump fails I want to know it's the pump and
            not "maybe" the switch.

            My $.02, ymmv.

            Hope this helps.

            Best Regards

            Jeffrey Beardsley

            SV Honu

            Newport 33

            Port of Everett, WA

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2010
              Each pump has it's spec rating requirements. General talk can only lead to a possible bad installation. The manufacturer will recommend what size hose, max travel and max rise. Lift...

              Exit ports are usually mounted above the water line, have an anti siphon loop, and a ball valve.

              rt

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2010
                HI folks,

                I am wondering a few things here, since today we only have a mechanical bilge pump for a Newport 28 and an electric pump sounds pretty good.

                Where did you locate the actual bilge pump? It doesn't look like there is really room for an integral pump where the current bilge intake is located. ( I guess one option is to remote the pump and just run a switch to the bilge area.)

                How did you connect the electric bilge pump's output to outside the hull? Did you just tap into the output hose for the mechanical pump? Did you valve/gate that connection?

                thanks, peter

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2, 2010
                  Peter,

                  In a 28, the bilge pump mounts into the aft end of the bilge, just forward
                  of the small, deep section, and aft of the rear keel bolt. Screw it down to
                  the bottom of the bilge. Mount the float switch just forward of that
                  location. Screw it down to the bottom of the bilge. Route the bilge output
                  straight back through the engine room and out through the transom at a thru
                  hull.

                  I don't believe I've ever seen a Newport 28 without an electric bilge pump.
                  I could be wrong but....

                  Check the Capitalyachts.info website at
                  http://capitalyachts.info/newport28/Owner's%20Manual%20-%20Newport%2028.pdf.
                  On page 32, the plumbing diagram shows the routing.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Best Regards

                  Jeffrey Beardsley

                  SV Honu