Intro first, then question

  • Tony Vagianos
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 2 9:31 AM
      Hi to all,

      My name is Tony, I'm a new owner of a 1984 Newport 28 and have been sailing it on Lake Champlain since April. Really did not know too much about Newports untill this one caught my eye. I've been lurking here for some time and felt the need to say hello and introduce myself. Thank you all for the info I've gleaned already.

      Now for the question........

      Before buying I was somewhat nervous about the traveler and mainsheet system being mounted on the cabin top. I sail alone frequently, even when my lovely bride is along and I'm in my late fifties. Turns out my nervousness was justified. When winds are fair there is no issue, I can step forward and adjust as needed. But when she blows its another story. I can ease the sheet easily enough, but when the wind is hard, I just cannot leave the wheel to haul it back in easily. I make do but don't like it. A real issue is gybing in good winds as I find it hard to haul in the sheet before gybing. Right now , I have a double block attached to the traveler with 3 single blocks spaced along the boom and the sheet then goes forward to starboard before it makes its way to the rear of the cabin top where it needs to be winched in for any real purchase.

      I'm wondering how some of you have dealt with this issue. Can I get a triple (or even quad if needed) block for the traveler end with a cam cleat attached and have the whole thing done from the traveler on the cabin top. Will this give me better purchase?

      Thanks in advance for any help, I'm looking forward to becoming a more active member of the group.

      Best,

      Tony

    • Jake Ventrella
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 2 9:40 AM
        Welcome Tony,

        I just moved my 1975 Newport 28 to lake Champlain (rouse's point) from down here in Connecticut.

        Jake

        On Jul 2, 2010, at 12:31 PM, "Tony Vagianos" <tvagianos@...> wrote:

        > Hi to all,
        >
        > My name is Tony, I'm a new owner of a 1984 Newport 28 and have been sailing it on Lake Champlain since April. Really did not know too much about Newports untill this one caught my eye. I've been lurking here for some time and felt the need to say hello and introduce myself. Thank you all for the info I've gleaned already.
        >
        > Now for the question........
        >
        > Before buying I was somewhat nervous about the traveler and mainsheet system being mounted on the cabin top. I sail alone frequently, even when my lovely bride is along and I'm in my late fifties. Turns out my nervousness was justified. When winds are fair there is no issue, I can step forward and adjust as needed. But when she blows its another story. I can ease the sheet easily enough, but when the wind is hard, I just cannot leave the wheel to haul it back in easily. I make do but don't like it. A real issue is gybing in good winds as I find it hard to haul in the sheet before gybing. Right now , I have a double block attached to the traveler with 3 single blocks spaced along the boom and the sheet then goes forward to starboard before it makes its way to the rear of the cabin top where it needs to be winched in for any real purchase.
        >
        > I'm wondering how some of you have dealt with this issue. Can I get a triple (or even quad if needed) block for the traveler end with a cam cleat attached and have the whole thing done from the traveler on the cabin top. Will this give me better purchase?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any help, I'm looking forward to becoming a more active member of the group.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Tony

      • Robert Sanders
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 2 9:53 AM
          Hi Tony,

          it seems to me you have five options. One is the one you suggested, upgrade the blocks on the mainsheet to give you additional purchase, ending with a cam cleat on the traveler end. But as the number of blocks go up, so does friction and so does the chance of multiple lines getting fouled when load is taken off. And it would be expensive, but less than option 5. Still, it may be the best way, you just have to be careful.

          Second, you could reef the main a little sooner than you otherwise might, to keep the load down to workable levels.

          Third, you could just heave to in heavier air and make whatever main sail adjustments you need to, then go back on course.

          Fourth, you can temporarily lead the current mainsheet past the cabintop winch to a cleat near the wheel?/tiller? when the wind is up, and then use the leeward genoa winch to haul in. If you go this route, you might put a section of metal rub rail across the edge of the cabin top and run the sheet over that to avoid scoring the fiberglass there.

          Fifth, autopilot.

          Bob

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 2 10:39 AM
            Hi Tony,

            The main sheet and traveler on my N30III look to be original, of poor quality, and are difficult to adjust as well. I do have an AP, so that is an advantage, but the way I sheet it in is to grab the boom and move it manually, there by taking the load off the sheet and traveler making it an easy pull. Of course So Cal is the land of little weather, and this might not work in heavy Upstate NY air.

            Good luck
            Michael
            The sleepy fishing village of San Diego

          • jackrobichau@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 2 11:39 AM
              PO of my N28 moved traveler to the cockpit. He raced single hand. I put back where god intended due to blocked companion way.

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 2 1:44 PM
                Hi Tony,
                I am Tony as well with a N30 in Northern California. I replaced my stock
                traveler with a much beefier and wider system from Garhauer. It has 5 to 1
                purchase and a ball bearing car and really makes controlling the traveler
                much easier. It also comes with very long line that could easily be lead
                back to the wheel position.

                However I have to say, as someone who singlehands quite a bit, an autopilot
                is the only real answer.

                Tony B.

                On 7/2/10 9:53 AM, "Robert Sanders" <resand@...> wrote:

                > Hi Tony,
                >
                > it seems to me you have five options. One is the one you suggested, upgrade
                > the blocks on the mainsheet to give you additional purchase, ending with a cam
                > cleat on the traveler end. But as the number of blocks go up, so does
                > friction and so does the chance of multiple lines getting fouled when load is
                > taken off. And it would be expensive, but less than option 5. Still, it may
                > be the best way, you just have to be careful.
                >
                > Second, you could reef the main a little sooner than you otherwise might, to
                > keep the load down to workable levels.
                >
                > Third, you could just heave to in heavier air and make whatever main sail
                > adjustments you need to, then go back on course.
                >
                > Fourth, you can temporarily lead the current mainsheet past the cabintop winch
                > to a cleat near the wheel?/tiller? when the wind is up, and then use the
                > leeward genoa winch to haul in. If you go this route, you might put a section
                > of metal rub rail across the edge of the cabin top and run the sheet over that
                > to avoid scoring the fiberglass there.
                >
                > Fifth, autopilot.
                >
                > Bob

              • Tony Vagianos
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 2 4:57 PM
                  Hi Jake,

                  Oddly, I bought my boat in Rouses Point from a Canadian at Gaines Marina, and brought it down to Essex NY, which is where it now sits on a mooring. Does your boat have the same traveler set up? Any issues? I've already worked through a couple of motor issues ( new starter, overheating etc.) so I'd be willing to share info with you if needed. Let me know if you make it down the lake this far, we can do a sail.

                  Tony
                  I just moved my 1975 Newport 28 to lake Champlain (rouse's point) from down here in Connecticut.

                  Jake

                  On Jul 2, 2010, at 12:31 PM, "Tony Vagianos" <tvagianos@...> wrote:

                  > Hi to all,
                  >
                  > My name is Tony, I'm a new owner of a 1984 Newport 28 and have been sailing it on Lake Champlain since April. Really did not know too much about Newports untill this one caught my eye. I've been lurking here for some time and felt the need to say hello and introduce myself. Thank you all for the info I've gleaned already.
                  >
                  > Now for the question........
                  >
                  > Before buying I was somewhat nervous about the traveler and mainsheet system being mounted on the cabin top. I sail alone frequently, even when my lovely bride is along and I'm in my late fifties. Turns out my nervousness was justified. When winds are fair there is no issue, I can step forward and adjust as needed. But when she blows its another story. I can ease the sheet easily enough, but when the wind is hard, I just cannot leave the wheel to haul it back in easily. I make do but don't like it. A real issue is gybing in good winds as I find it hard to haul in the sheet before gybing. Right now , I have a double block attached to the traveler with 3 single blocks spaced along the boom and the sheet then goes forward to starboard before it makes its way to the rear of the cabin top where it needs to be winched in for any real purchase.
                  >
                  > I'm wondering how some of you have dealt with this issue. Can I get a triple (or even quad if needed) block for the traveler end with a cam cleat attached and have the whole thing done from the traveler on the cabin top. Will this give me better purchase?
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance for any help, I'm looking forward to becoming a more active member of the group.
                  >
                  > Best,
                  >
                  > Tony

                • Jeffrey Beardsley
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 2 6:27 PM
                    Hi Tony,

                    I have Honu in the Pacific Northwest. Most all Newport 28s had the same
                    Mariner 2:1 purchase traveler and mid-boom sheeting. This was OK before
                    Capital starting putting wheel steering on their boats. In fact, it's still
                    OK. All of Honu's control lines have been led aft to the cabin top. All of
                    the mast winches have been relocated to the cabin top. I still have the
                    mid-boom sheeting but I use a 5/16 main sheet through Lewmar 70mm blocks. It
                    cuts the friction waaaaay down. My main sheet runs from the boom, down to a
                    turning block at the base of the mast, through a deck organizer, and aft on
                    the port side to a cam-cleat at the aft edge of the cabin top. I have added
                    a Garhauer rigid boom vang. I have changed out the Mariner traveler for a
                    Harken 4:1 purchase on roller bearings. The end result is that in 40 kts
                    winds, I don't need a winch on the traveler, ever. The last two Foulweather
                    Bluff races up here are testament to that. One of my mast winches was placed
                    on the port side cabin top for the benefit of the main sheet (as well as the
                    topping lift, aux genoa halyard and spinnaker halyard). When I am single
                    handing I can run both the main sheet and the boom vang lines back to the
                    helm station and hang them over a rocket launcher (fishing pole holder) on
                    my port side aft rail. My traveler lines are led from the traveler ends
                    (through their turning blocks and cam cleats), through the dodger
                    windshield, and similarly back to the helm station on either side. They are
                    long enough, intentionally, to reach and be usable.

                    Hope this helps, photos can be sent if desired.

                    Best Regards

                    Jeffrey Beardsley

                    SV Honu

                    Newport 28 II

                    And now a Newport 33

                    Port of Everett, WA

                    <mailto:tvagianos%40willex.com> > wrote:

                    > Hi to all,
                    >
                    > My name is Tony, I'm a new owner of a 1984 Newport 28 and have been
                    sailing it on Lake Champlain since April. Really did not know too much about
                    Newports untill this one caught my eye. I've been lurking here for some time
                    and felt the need to say hello and introduce myself. Thank you all for the
                    info I've gleaned already.

                    > Now for the question........
                    >
                    > Before buying I was somewhat nervous about the traveler and mainsheet
                    system being mounted on the cabin top. I sail alone frequently, even when my
                    lovely bride is along and I'm in my late fifties. Turns out my nervousness
                    was justified. When winds are fair there is no issue, I can step forward and
                    adjust as needed. But when she blows its another story. I can ease the sheet
                    easily enough, but when the wind is hard, I just cannot leave the wheel to
                    haul it back in easily. I make do but don't like it. A real issue is gybing
                    in good winds as I find it hard to haul in the sheet before gybing. Right
                    now , I have a double block attached to the traveler with 3 single blocks
                    spaced along the boom and the sheet then goes forward to starboard before it
                    makes its way to the rear of the cabin top where it needs to be winched in
                    for any real purchase.

                    > I'm wondering how some of you have dealt with this issue. Can I get a
                    triple (or even quad if needed) block for the traveler end with a cam cleat
                    attached and have the whole thing done from the traveler on the cabin top.
                    Will this give me better purchase?

                    > Thanks in advance for any help, I'm looking forward to becoming a more
                    active member of the group.

                    > Best,
                    >
                    > Tony

                  • Jake Ventrella
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 2 8:11 PM
                      Tony,

                      Small world - Gaines is where I ended up getting a skip. The original intention was just to launch it there but I liked them so much I was able to snag one of the last spots. I actually haven't set up the rigging yet so I can't answer your questions. I have yet to sail her- there were some problems because the shipper damaged it that I'm trying to work out now.

                      Jake

                      On Jul 2, 2010, at 7:57 PM, "Tony Vagianos" <tvagianos@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Jake,
                      >
                      > Oddly, I bought my boat in Rouses Point from a Canadian at Gaines Marina, and brought it down to Essex NY, which is where it now sits on a mooring. Does your boat have the same traveler set up? Any issues? I've already worked through a couple of motor issues ( new starter, overheating etc.) so I'd be willing to share info with you if needed. Let me know if you make it down the lake this far, we can do a sail.
                      >
                      > Tony

                    • Tim Ehrlich
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 3 7:59 AM
                        Hey Tony welcome.

                        I Have a N30 It has a 4 block purchase at the traveler and I have the
                        'floating boom' which also works to tighten the luff rather than winch I
                        would suggest luffing to get in your lines. Not my favorite but it seems to
                        work. I am going to change it to accept a dodger and what I am doing is
                        adding a block to the boom aft of the others and routing it back to above
                        where I stand at the Tiller with a block and cam cleat. Then it will be a
                        simple issue of pulling the line above my head. But I agree with the
                        Autohelm guy. Without my little stick sailing would be near impossible with
                        most of the crew I get (bride included).

                      • Tony Vagianos
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 3 8:00 AM
                          Hi Jeffrey,

                          Thanks for the reply... Let me see if I have this straight.

                          So, you've added a Lewmar 70mm block at the traveler (triple?). Have you kept the same 3 single blocks spaced along the boom? If needed, and given enough line, can you haul in the mainsheet from in front of the wheel in heavy air without winching? I really don't race any longer and don't care too much about traveler adjustments. I'm just looking for a lot more purchase and trying to avoid moving the car to the cockpit.

                          thanks again

                          I just moved my 1975 Newport 28 to lake Champlain (rouse's point) from down
                          here in Connecticut.

                          Jake

                          On Jul 2, 2010, at 12:31 PM, "Tony Vagianos" <tvagianos@...
                          <mailto:tvagianos%40willex.com> > wrote:

                          > Hi to all,
                          >
                          > My name is Tony, I'm a new owner of a 1984 Newport 28 and have been
                          sailing it on Lake Champlain since April. Really did not know too much about
                          Newports untill this one caught my eye. I've been lurking here for some time
                          and felt the need to say hello and introduce myself. Thank you all for the
                          info I've gleaned already.

                          > Now for the question........
                          >
                          > Before buying I was somewhat nervous about the traveler and mainsheet
                          system being mounted on the cabin top. I sail alone frequently, even when my
                          lovely bride is along and I'm in my late fifties. Turns out my nervousness
                          was justified. When winds are fair there is no issue, I can step forward and
                          adjust as needed. But when she blows its another story. I can ease the sheet
                          easily enough, but when the wind is hard, I just cannot leave the wheel to
                          haul it back in easily. I make do but don't like it. A real issue is gybing
                          in good winds as I find it hard to haul in the sheet before gybing. Right
                          now , I have a double block attached to the traveler with 3 single blocks
                          spaced along the boom and the sheet then goes forward to starboard before it
                          makes its way to the rear of the cabin top where it needs to be winched in
                          for any real purchase.

                          > I'm wondering how some of you have dealt with this issue. Can I get a
                          triple (or even quad if needed) block for the traveler end with a cam cleat
                          attached and have the whole thing done from the traveler on the cabin top.
                          Will this give me better purchase?

                          > Thanks in advance for any help, I'm looking forward to becoming a more
                          active member of the group.

                          > Best,
                          >
                          > Tony

                        • Jeffrey Beardsley
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 3 9:29 AM
                            Tony,

                            Uh,.no. I still have the same three single blocks on the boom. I also have a
                            double block on the traveler. All are Lewmar 70s. I can haul the mainsheet
                            from the helm in light to medium air (nothing over about 12 kts). Beyond
                            that I need a winch. But here is where we differ. I prefer to adjust the
                            traveler instead of the mainsheet. And that I can also do from the
                            helm..without a winch. Most of my mainsheet adjustment from the helm spot is
                            off the wind anyway so there isn't much pressure on the sheet. If I'm going
                            to weather, and need to use the winch, I can set the a/p and go to the winch
                            to accomplish that.

                            Does this help?

                            Best Regards

                            Jeffrey Beardsley

                            SV Honu

                            Newport 28 II

                            Port of Everett, WA

                            I just moved my 1975 Newport 28 to lake Champlain (rouse's point) from down
                            here in Connecticut.

                            Jake

                            On Jul 2, 2010, at 12:31 PM, "Tony Vagianos" <tvagianos@...
                            <mailto:tvagianos%40willex.com>
                            <mailto:tvagianos%40willex.com> > wrote:

                            > Hi to all,
                            >
                            > My name is Tony, I'm a new owner of a 1984 Newport 28 and have been
                            sailing it on Lake Champlain since April. Really did not know too much about
                            Newports untill this one caught my eye. I've been lurking here for some time
                            and felt the need to say hello and introduce myself. Thank you all for the
                            info I've gleaned already.

                            > Now for the question........
                            >
                            > Before buying I was somewhat nervous about the traveler and mainsheet
                            system being mounted on the cabin top. I sail alone frequently, even when my
                            lovely bride is along and I'm in my late fifties. Turns out my nervousness
                            was justified. When winds are fair there is no issue, I can step forward and
                            adjust as needed. But when she blows its another story. I can ease the sheet
                            easily enough, but when the wind is hard, I just cannot leave the wheel to
                            haul it back in easily. I make do but don't like it. A real issue is gybing
                            in good winds as I find it hard to haul in the sheet before gybing. Right
                            now , I have a double block attached to the traveler with 3 single blocks
                            spaced along the boom and the sheet then goes forward to starboard before it
                            makes its way to the rear of the cabin top where it needs to be winched in
                            for any real purchase.

                            > I'm wondering how some of you have dealt with this issue. Can I get a
                            triple (or even quad if needed) block for the traveler end with a cam cleat
                            attached and have the whole thing done from the traveler on the cabin top.
                            Will this give me better purchase?

                            > Thanks in advance for any help, I'm looking forward to becoming a more
                            active member of the group.

                            > Best,
                            >
                            > Tony

                          • Harley Nygren
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 4 12:41 PM
                              For what it is worth, my original stock mainsheet blew out in a
                              thunderstorm, and now is much beefier, at the suggestion of a local
                              rigger. It leads forward to the mast, down to a turning block, and
                              back to a winch installed just aft of the traveler. HOWEVER, I find
                              that my N30 is easily managed under a big Genoa, and usually
                              singlehand with few problems without the chore of unfurling, furling
                              the main. Yesterday I was moving along at 6 knots in a breeze of
                              10-12 knots. I was a beautuful Chesapeake Bay day, with temps in the
                              high 80's.
                              Regards,
                              Harley

                            • RAY TOSTADO
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 4 10:11 PM
                                WELL, msn, MICROSOFT, HAS DONE IT AGAIN. All of my contact numbers have vanished.

                                Some nit wit in the accounting department decided to get rid of the no-pays, the slow pays, or whatever they imagine is keeping the MS empire from maximizing their profits.

                                They wrote a program that reviewed all accounts and picked out those which are not in compliance with the MS accounting mantra; whatever that is. The intent, it seems in my case, was to verify all current credit cards used in paying accounts.

                                Those which were found to be non-conforming were simply terminated. That's right, just shut down with error #14. "Too many attempts to log on." Isn't that cute?

                                So at 9:45 this morning my account went dead. No effort on my part gave me any results.

                                About 5 pm this afternoon I went on a rampage and spent 1.5 hours trying to get things straight. MSN would not recover my account without information which I have no recollection of ever submitting to MSN.

                                "What was your grandfather's occupation?" How dumb is that? I never knew my grandfather!

                                And my AmEx card #s were not current. This is what set everything off to this denial of service. But still, they submit bills monthly and get paid! They had as a security requirement what was a 3 year ago old card number. They have been billing my old card, but did not enter my new card. It seems that AmEx will honor an older card number charges, although it is no longer in effect, and not inform vendor of a new number.

                                NOW HEAR THIS! A friend has just told me he received an e-mail this morning stating I was in England and needed $1,800 pounds to get home after being robbed at gun point. It had me mentioning I was vacationing with my family. Yeah, what family?

                                The sign off signature on this e-mail is a calling card design I only use on this Newport Web page, and even then on rare occasion. So be warned, we are being scanned for hacking entry.

                                So, I am suggesting that members. interested in one-on-one correspondence, e-mail me any small message and I will record their address as I attempt to build a new address book.

                                Not too cheerful.

                                rt

                              • SpunkysSD@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 5 6:05 AM
                                  Kind of thought that email was out of character for our web leader. Glad
                                  it's caught. However I just learned that I have a long lost african tribal
                                  cousin who has 45 Mil waiting for me. Praise be the lord! ....Spunky!

                                  In a message dated 7/5/2010 1:11:27 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

[...]

                                • kim stager
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 5 10:29 AM
                                    ray  You mean that i sent you 18oo lbs for nothing what the hell a'm i going to do now that was my bottom paint money awwwwwwww shit now i will have to wait till next week to do the bottom LOL be cool and remember im your best friend in the whole world Pappy

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 5 10:40 AM
                                      hi spunky if you need some one to help you go get that money me and ray will go with you .    Pappy

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 5 3:48 PM
                                        Tony,
                                        If you are not on Owner List please send info and I will add your boat.
                                        Regards,
                                        JJQ
                                        Webmaster
                                        www.capitalyachts.info

                                        --- In newportsailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Vagianos" <tvagianos@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi to all,
                                        >
                                        > My name is Tony, I'm a new owner of a 1984 Newport 28 and have been sailing it on Lake Champlain since April. Really did not know too much about Newports untill this one caught my eye. I've been lurking here for some time and felt the need to say hello and introduce myself. Thank you all for the info I've gleaned already.
                                        >
                                        > Now for the question........
                                        >
                                        > Before buying I was somewhat nervous about the traveler and mainsheet system being mounted on the cabin top. I sail alone frequently, even when my lovely bride is along and I'm in my late fifties. Turns out my nervousness was justified. When winds are fair there is no issue, I can step forward and adjust as needed. But when she blows its another story. I can ease the sheet easily enough, but when the wind is hard, I just cannot leave the wheel to haul it back in easily. I make do but don't like it. A real issue is gybing in good winds as I find it hard to haul in the sheet before gybing. Right now , I have a double block attached to the traveler with 3 single blocks spaced along the boom and the sheet then goes forward to starboard before it makes its way to the rear of the cabin top where it needs to be winched in for any real purchase.
                                        >
                                        > I'm wondering how some of you have dealt with this issue. Can I get a triple (or even quad if needed) block for the traveler end with a cam cleat attached and have the whole thing done from the traveler on the cabin top. Will this give me better purchase?
                                        >
                                        > Thanks in advance for any help, I'm looking forward to becoming a more active member of the group.
                                        >
                                        > Best,
                                        >
                                        > Tony

                                      • John Fink
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 6 5:39 AM
                                          Hi Ray,

                                          Put me on your email list.

                                          Sorry to hear about your trip to England !

                                          John

                                          >>> "RAY TOSTADO" 07/05/10 1:11 AM >>>
                                          WELL, msn, MICROSOFT, HAS DONE IT AGAIN. All of my contact numbers have vanished.

                                          Some nit wit in the accounting department decided to get rid of the no-pays, the slow pays, or whatever they imagine is keeping the MS empire from maximizing their profits.

                                          They wrote a program that reviewed all accounts and picked out those which are not in compliance with the MS accounting mantra; whatever that is. The intent, it seems in my case, was to verify all current credit cards used in paying accounts.

                                          Those which were found to be non-conforming were simply terminated. That's right, just shut down with error #14. "Too many attempts to log on." Isn't that cute?

                                          So at 9:45 this morning my account went dead. No effort on my part gave me any results.

                                          About 5 pm this afternoon I went on a rampage and spent 1.5 hours trying to get things straight. MSN would not recover my account without information which I have no recollection of ever submitting to MSN.

                                          "What was your grandfather's occupation?" How dumb is that? I never knew my grandfather!

                                          And my AmEx card #s were not current. This is what set everything off to this denial of service. But still, they submit bills monthly and get paid! They had as a security requirement what was a 3 year ago old card number. They have been billing my old card, but did not enter my new card. It seems that AmEx will honor an older card number charges, although it is no longer in effect, and not inform vendor of a new number.

                                          NOW HEAR THIS! A friend has just told me he received an e-mail this morning stating I was in England and needed $1,800 pounds to get home after being robbed at gun point. It had me mentioning I was vacationing with my family. Yeah, what family?

                                          The sign off signature on this e-mail is a calling card design I only use on this Newport Web page, and even then on rare occasion. So be warned, we are being scanned for hacking entry.

                                          So, I am suggesting that members. interested in one-on-one correspondence, e-mail me any small message and I will record their address as I attempt to build a new address book.

                                          Not too cheerful.

                                          rt

                                        • stan hafenfeld
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 6 10:19 PM
                                            Ray,
                                            I always hated Am.Express.
                                            S/

                                            ________________________________

                                          • Captndlbrown@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 7 2:31 PM
                                              GreetingsAll

                                              I wish I would remember to read my e-mails from the past to the present....Other folks responded to the request for money as well as I did. Are we all infected with a scamer virus now?

                                              Sailing must have been great everywhere on the fourth. I took the most "real" sail I have ever taken on Comfort Zone. Dave and I were out for 7 hours, it was like being on a big boat. We actually used the 6 horse Johnson for pick me ups during lulls and I was curious and surprised by how it worked. The forward movement seemed to make the sails fill. It was like we sailed faster than just with the motor or the sail. Dave took the old motor mount off and put on a manually retractable mount so we were able to get it out of the water when not in use. I was worried about drag. The funny thing was, if the boat started to heel to much the motor came out of the water and turned off, sortof like an automatic speed monitor. Of course that only works in one direction.......Also for you gunkholeers (like mousekateers) A system of lifting briefly then lowering briefly makes passing over a weedbed doable.

                                              Carry on.
                                              Captndlbrown
                                              Comfort Zone N17

                                              For what it is worth, my original stock mainsheet blew out in a
                                              hunderstorm, and now is much beefier, at the suggestion of a local
                                              igger. It leads forward to the mast, down to a turning block, and
                                              ack to a winch installed just aft of the traveler. HOWEVER, I find
                                              hat my N30 is easily managed under a big Genoa, and usually
                                              inglehand with few problems without the chore of unfurling, furling
                                              he main. Yesterday I was moving along at 6 knots in a breeze of
                                              0-12 knots. I was a beautuful Chesapeake Bay day, with temps in the
                                              igh 80's.
                                              egards,
                                              arley