Spare VHF

  • RAY TOSTADO
    Message 1 of 40 , May 1 6:26 AM
      Due to my installing a VHF/AIS radio on Baseline I found myself with a spare VHF. It is a very old Standard Horizon basic radio maybe even 25 years old. Selling it might have proved senseless because of it's age and cosmetic simplicity. So, I have installed it into my new Mercury 340 RIB. The most expensive part of this was finding a short whip antenna that is easy to remove and store, even overnight at anchor. (Temptation)

      I looked around the web for gel batteries and came up with a 18 ah gel battery for $37.00. (batterywholesale.com) $51.00 delivered to my door.

      The antenna with S.S. base was $70.00. What I discovered was that while I could get the same antenna from 2,000 miles away Ohio, the shipping was more the the cost of the antenna. To buy was $37.00 and to ship was $39. Doesn't make sense.

      I called Standard horizon and asked about exterior mounting and water protection. The said it was good up to full submersion, if I make some effort to avoid constant rain, beer splashing etc., on it. They also said my 18 ah battery would power the radio for at least 3 days on stand by. Transmission mode in HI is around 5 amps.

      I realize that a hand held is much more convenient. What helped me decide is that I tried once to raise CG with a hand held and it was just too weak a signal to get very far. I was able to convey my message through a good Samaritan relay buddy who heard my call and realized it was not reaching CG. So having a 25 watt radio is a bit better than having a 5 watt radio.

      It's always fun to shop around the classifieds and local rags, web, etc., cause there are some bargains out there that a person normally would not consider adding to their boat.

      Like the 4 AVON RIB 310s I have found for $400 each. They need some TLC but man, these are $4,500 boats. Any RIB is the best way to go. I hate jumping into s squishy soft bottom, even with boards. A RIB tolerates towing much better.

      rt

    • RAY TOSTADO
      Message 40 of 40 , Jun 9, 2010
        Thanks guys. Heartening replies.

        My non-legal Guru says the deposit monies should be in a desk drawer at the agent's office. The check is not to be deposited until the survey is over.

        I suggested to the wife to simply call her bank and cancel the checks.

        Any arguments can be done later.

        rt