Re: Did you know?

  • John Q
    Message 1 of 87 , Feb 1, 2010
      Back when I was young and a spelunker, one of my favorite trips caving (Carpenter Cave) was to the Falls Church area of VA. Can't recall the owner name of the property we camped out but it was a small leanto on his property we called "The Sugar Shack". He (the property owner) had bees and we always purchased the raw honey on our visits. Yummy stuff but sometimes you had to eat around the bee or two embedded within the honey.
      Good stuff and good memory.
      JJQ

      --- In newportsailboats@yahoogroups.com, Tony <tobourque@...> wrote:

      > I kept bees for about 20 years....until about 3 years ago. If you have any
      > questions on the subject feel free to contact me off list. By the way.
      > Locally produced honey is almost always much tastier than Œstore bought¹
      > honey. This is because commercial producers buy honey wherever they can get
      > it cheapest (all over the world), ship it to their plants and then mix it
      > all together and heat it to almost boiling so that it flows through bottling
      > equipment faster.
      > A local producer will have honey produced from a limited variety of local
      > plants and will keep it warm but won¹t overheat it, which destroys flavor.
      >
      > Tony B.
      >

      > On 1/31/10 8:41 AM, "RAY TOSTADO" <RAYTOSTADO@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Not 15 minutes ago I discovered that the pros and cons of honey's nutritional
      > > and medicinal values is correlated with the term, "local honey".
      > >
      > > This is because honey comes from bees that habit a locale, thus their honey
      > > byproduct is extracted from the nectar of local plants. This is very
      > > significant in that honey has many supporters who are convinced that the human
      > > consumption of honey is very beneficial to the human immune system. That the
      > > honey comes from specific local plants that may cause allergies, the immune
      > > system benefits correlate with these plant specie.
      > >
      > > AND they all warn, even the MDs that this should not be taken as FDA approved
      > > medical advice; but merely an opinion based of self or practice observation.
      > > But the records of humankind dating back over 4,000 years shows that honey has
      > > been used as a medical device.
      > >
      > > I do recall one interesting well known fact, honey needs no preservatives or
      > > refrigeration. It can be used decades after it's harvest. These qualities make
      > > it ideal for long journeys at sea. And you know that if you arrive at some
      > > destination and suffer an allergy to the local fauna, maybe local honey will
      > > help.
      > >
      > > But, like the testimonies remind, check out your sources and make your own
      > > decisions.
      > >
      > > I did not use any in depth search engine. Just plug in "honey allergies".
      > > Gobs of comments.
      > >
      > > You'll know this is true when Big Pharma gets the government to ban the over
      > > the counter sale of honey without their brand label of FDA approval.
      > >
      > > RT

    • Roger
      Message 87 of 87 , Sep 8, 2010
        Pappy,

        I retired from PSNS 2 years ago this Oct 1st.

        Roger