Re: 2 stroke question

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
      My testing method is to take a test light and plug it into the spark plug
      cable nothing happens but when attaching to the kill switch line while it is
      disconnected from the kill switch I get spark.

      I can't find anywhere it would be grounding out and I would think that if it
      were grounded out I wouldn't get a spark either way.

      Additionally I swapped out the new coil for the old coil that worked prior
      to the 'sinking' and it had the exact same results it must be the way i've
      hooked it up or something.

      Thanks for your suggestion any more?

    • RAY TOSTADO
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
        I dropped a 9.9 into the water one day at Catalina. I called the shore OB shop and they sent a diver right out. It was mid day and he told me if he didn't locate it immediately he would have to abort as how he was by that time saturated and could not do a second dive. He figured he had about 3 minutes of bottom time left.

        He found it, tethered it and we hauled it up.

        He informed me that the engine would have been ruined after about 4 hours in the salt water. He said it had to do with the magnets in the system ignition causing a very immediate corrosion. This is not to overlook the etching that might occur onto the engine metal parts.

        So, depending on the bottom time your engine had, there could be a lot of little connections and such that are damaged. They would indeed act sporadically.

        They did an immediate flush and blow out and had it back and running that afternoon. Cost about $175. Not bad for a $2,200 motor.

        But the important thing to remember is that the recovery and flush have to happen ASAP.

        rt

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
          I am not sure that your testing will result in a test light burning from the
          spark plug wire, there might be a slight illumination of the bulb, but i
          dought it.
          the best test for spark is to take out the plug, insert it into the plug
          wire and make sure the the outer metal treaded area of the plug body is
          touching a shiny metal surface of the engine block. then turn the motor over
          and look for spark at the plug electrode.

          you could do this test with the kill wire disconnected from the kill switch.
          if you still don't get a spark at the plug you may have to check the points
          or what ever sends the signal to the coil.

          Is this an electric start engine?
          Does the test light burn contuniously? or flicker on and off when you spin
          the motor over?

          On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Tim <tim@...> wrote:

          > My testing method is to take a test light and plug it into the spark plug
          > cable nothing happens but when attaching to the kill switch line while it
          > is
          > disconnected from the kill switch I get spark.
          >
          > I can't find anywhere it would be grounding out and I would think that if
          > it
          > were grounded out I wouldn't get a spark either way.
          >
          > Additionally I swapped out the new coil for the old coil that worked prior
          > to the 'sinking' and it had the exact same results it must be the way i've
          > hooked it up or something.
          >
          > Thanks for your suggestion any more?

        • Tony
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
            I agree with Jimmie.....I don't think you will get a light on your tester at
            the end of the plug wire. After the electricity passes through the coil it
            is no longer 12 volts. The purpose of the coil is to increase the voltage
            until it can jump the air gap of the spark plug. Voltage at the spark plug
            can be 30,000 to 100,000 volts! In addition the amount of time that the
            circuits would be made by the points as motor rotates is very very small.
            The test that Jimmie lays out below is the correct way to check for spark.
            You should be able to see that spark in the shade on a sunny day it will be
            quite bright. Make sure that you are not holding the plug or the wire or you
            could get a nasty reminder about high voltage circuits.

            Tony B.

            On 1/2/10 11:45 AM, "Jimmie White" <j24jaded@...> wrote:

            > I am not sure that your testing will result in a test light burning from the
            > spark plug wire, there might be a slight illumination of the bulb, but i
            > dought it.
            > the best test for spark is to take out the plug, insert it into the plug
            > wire and make sure the the outer metal treaded area of the plug body is
            > touching a shiny metal surface of the engine block. then turn the motor over
            > and look for spark at the plug electrode.
            >
            > you could do this test with the kill wire disconnected from the kill switch.
            > if you still don't get a spark at the plug you may have to check the points
            > or what ever sends the signal to the coil.
            >
            > Is this an electric start engine?
            > Does the test light burn contuniously? or flicker on and off when you spin
            > the motor over?
            >

            > On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Tim <tim@...> wrote:
            >

            >> My testing method is to take a test light and plug it into the spark plug
            >> cable nothing happens but when attaching to the kill switch line while it
            >> is
            >> disconnected from the kill switch I get spark.
            >>
            >> I can't find anywhere it would be grounding out and I would think that if
            >> it
            >> were grounded out I wouldn't get a spark either way.
            >>
            >> Additionally I swapped out the new coil for the old coil that worked prior
            >> to the 'sinking' and it had the exact same results it must be the way i've
            >> hooked it up or something.
            >>
            >> Thanks for your suggestion any more?

          • Russ Wampler
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
              Yes; if you can't get the plug to rest on the engine while cranking; take a piece of solid core copper wire and wire-tie it to the metal on the spark plug; then bolt it to a good ground point on the engine block. If you can't see the spark you should be able to hear the popping noise it makes. Don't touch the plug or the plug wire; you will get a huge jolt that -could- stop your heart.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 3, 2010
                Oops yeah Im sorry I should have mentioned that I did try the grounded
                spark plug first. I owned and rebuilt a few air cooled motorcycle 2
                strokes back in the day. However I didn't take into account the fact
                that it would not be 12 v anymore but either way Im not getting a spark.

                Points r new and the light is filickering as expected so they r making
                and releasing contact.

                In light of finding out that the test light prob won't work any my
                unwillingness to grab hold of unknown volts Im going to replace the
                spark plug just to rule it out.

                Thanks guys much appreciated i'll update

                Sent from my iPhone
              • stan hafenfeld
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010
                  Hey, guys,
                  Harbor Freight sells a spark plug test device that goes into the spark plug hole and attached to the spark plug wire so that you can see the spark when the engine is cranked. It's about 3 bucks, and you don't touch anything!
                  S.H.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010
                    When my father was teaching me about small engine repair he said, "The
                    novice mechanic holds the sparkplug against the engine head and pulls the rope.
                    The experienced mechanic has someone else hold the sparkplug against the
                    engine"
                    That $3 tester takes all the fun out of teaching small engine repair
                    Marty Besant
                    1987 Newport 30-3 Margarita
                    RCR Skyway Marina
                    Buffalo NY

                  • jim
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010
                      Yeah, but it's got a cheesy little plastic covered bulb in it and mine failed after about 3 uses. so make sure you catch it on sale if you decide to try it.
                      The sparkplug itself is perfectly reliable and perfectly safe if you use wire to ground it to the engine. Bare house wire works fine. Believe me, that spark "wants" to make that trip like rowdy collegians lusting for spring break...

                      ____________ _________ _________ __

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010
                        I bought a little $13 tester at Advance Auto Parts that didn't have any bulbs or anything. Nothing to ever wear out or fail, it just works. It was basically a wire with an alligator clip, a threaded screw with a calibrated "gap" measurement, and a lead that you could snap a plug wire onto.

                        Of course, I can't find the darn thing on the Advance Auto wesite, but here's a link to the product I bought:
                        http://www.hotrodautosupply.com/eshop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=2

                        Image:
                        http://www.hotrodautosupply.com/eshop/images/uploads/tools/sparktest_dg.jpg

                        See me use it it in my videos, here:

                        BOATICUS - Engine Maintenance: Finally Acquired a Spark
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyh87rV9UHo

                        BOATICUS - Engine Maintenance: Closeup of Spark
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfrXJTjwws

                        Hope this helps,
                        Ken

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010
                          that's more like it, I'd say. HarborFreight is great for some things, like tools that will only be used infrequently, or stuff that has to stay where someone may walk off with it. Their prices are appreciated and their quality is improving as of late.
                          This looks like it'd be worth the little bit of extra it cost. Good recon.

                          Jim
                          So. Fla -- where we're wishin' you northerners would keep your darned frigid air to yourselves..

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010
                            an old plug will work, they have to be in really bad shape, not to fire
                            outside the cly. the problem plugs have is that they have much
                            more difficulty jumping the gap when under pressure from the compression.
                            You can take a phillips screwdriver and stick it in the end of the plug
                            wire, hold it by the handle so that the shaft is close to a good ground,
                            (head bolt, cly fin, case, ect). Less than an eighth of an inch gap is best,
                            more like a sixteenth. as long as the spark has a good path to ground, (and
                            you aren't touching the metal part of the screwdriver you won't get shocked
                            .
                            Jimmie