Re: [Newport Sailboats] What's can the Hull ID # tell me?

  • tobourque@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2009
      A couple of easy ways to tell MK II and MK III apart are

      Mark III has a really really pointy bow at the deck. I guess you could call it the stem. Mark II is rounded.
      Mark III has molded forward hatch that fits flush into the cabin top (this may only be on later MK III. Mark II has a more traditional wood framed square hatch that sits on top of the cabin top.
      Mark III also has turning blocks built in at the genoa winches I think.

      There are other differences but those are the easiest to see.

      It is my understanding that both the Mark I and the Mark II were designed by Gary Mull. The Mark III was designed in house and was basically copied from Mark II but with enough minor changes that they didn't have to pay Mull. I think that in terms of the hull there is really little difference. The cabin top is more rounded, there is less teak on it, it is a little more modern looking.

      I am not sure if there are other differences. Maybe other know. I used to race on a Mark III (Addiction now owned by Craig on our list) and now own a Mark II and find that they don't seem to be much different.

      Tony B.
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2009
        See: http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm for an interpretation on the HIN.

        MK or Mark indicates a subsequent version of the original model, e.g. I have a G32, Mark II.

        Randy

        G32 Sapo Verde

        Puget Sound

        To: newportsailboats@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2009
          Thanks Tony, that is very helpful. I think it may be a MKIII then,
          since the bow is pointy. Here is shot of the bow from when I made a cap
          to cover where the AL rails meet there (first 2 photos):
          http://picasaweb.google.com/dibiased/1981Newport30Work?authkey=Gv1sRgCNH\
          vsY-o67qc3wE&feat=directlink Would you say that looks like a MKIII? And
          am I correct to assume that 1981 is the first year for the MKIII's?
          Looks like mine was made in June based on the HIN code info that Randy
          shared. Thanks, Dan
          --- In newportsailboats@yahoogroups.com, tobourque@... wrote:

          > A couple of easy ways to tell MK II and MK III apart are
          >

          > Mark III has a really really pointy bow at the deck. I guess you could
          call it the stem. Mark II is rounded.
          > Mark III has molded forward hatch that fits flush into the cabin top
          (this may only be on later MK III. Mark II has a more traditional wood
          framed square hatch that sits on top of the cabin top.
          > Mark III also has turning blocks built in at the genoa winches I
          think.

          > There are other differences but those are the easiest to see.
          >

          > It is my understanding that both the Mark I and the Mark II were
          designed by Gary Mull. The Mark III was designed in house and was
          basically copied from Mark II but with enough minor changes that they
          didn't have to pay Mull. I think that in terms of the hull there is
          really little difference. The cabin top is more rounded, there is less
          teak on it, it is a little more modern looking.

          > I am not sure if there are other differences. Maybe other know. I used
          to race on a Mark III (Addiction now owned by Craig on our list) and now
          own a Mark II and find that they don't seem to be much different.

          > Tony B.
          Pacific

        • mbesant@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2009
            We have a 1987 Mark 3 and there are several significant differences between
            ours and your pictures. Both our center and forward hatches are flush with
            the deck surface. The center hatch is smoked plexi while the fwd is
            antiskid fiberglass. The fwd running lights are mounted on the pulpit, not on the
            deck. These may have been minor modifications during the 6 years between
            builds. Will watch for comments by other list members
            Marty and Peggy Besant
            1987 Newport 30 Mark 3 Margarita
            RCR Skyway Marina
            Buffalo, NY

            In a message dated 10/1/2009 4:19:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            dibiased@... writes:

            Thanks Tony, that is very helpful. I think it may be a MKIII then,
            since the bow is pointy. Here is shot of the bow from when I made a cap
            to cover where the AL rails meet there (first 2 photos):
            _http://picasaweb.http://picahttp://pihttp://picasawebhttp://pichttp://pic
            vsY-o67qc3wE&<WBR>feat=direc_
            --- In _newportsailboats@newportsailbnew_
            (mailto:newportsailboats@yahoogroups.com) , tobourque@.., to

            > A couple of easy ways to tell MK II and MK III apart are
            >

            > Mark III has a really really pointy bow at the deck. I guess you could
            call it the stem. Mark II is rounded.
            > Mark III has molded forward hatch that fits flush into the cabin top
            (this may only be on later MK III. Mark II has a more traditional wood
            framed square hatch that sits on top of the cabin top.
            > Mark III also has turning blocks built in at the genoa winches I
            think.

            > There are other differences but those are the easiest to see.
            >

            > It is my understanding that both the Mark I and the Mark II were
            designed by Gary Mull. The Mark III was designed in house and was
            basically copied from Mark II but with enough minor changes that they
            didn't have to pay Mull. I think that in terms of the hull there is
            really little difference. The cabin top is more rounded, there is less
            teak on it, it is a little more modern looking.

            > I am not sure if there are other differences. Maybe other know. I used
            to race on a Mark III (Addiction now owned by Craig on our list) and now
            own a Mark II and find that they don't seem to be much different.

            > Tony B.
            hull ID number (CPY01052M81K)h

            > I looked around in the _http://capitalyachthttp://_
            (http://capitalyachts.info/) website but didn't
            find anything conclusive about this.

            > Also, what does MK stand for or mean and what are the differences
            between the MK numbers (something about phases of builds)?

            > Thanks,
            > Dan

          • Richard Leijonflycht
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2009
              our 1987 N-30 MK III matches Margarita

              Richard,
              S/V Margaret N-30
              California Delta

            • tobourque@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2009
                Yep that looks like a MK III to me. Some docs say Phase III instead of MK III. Not sure about the first year they were made but that sounds about right. You can poke around on the capitalyachts.org website for info.

                Tony