sailing video

  • drive944
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
      Hello,

      Since it's winter and I can't sail, I put up a short (30 second) clip
      of my last sail of the season. You can find it on the yahoo groups
      site under 'files'.

      Barry
    • John Quinn
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
        Barry,
        I added your video to the Newport web site.
        John Quinn
        Webmaster

        drive944 <lenoble@...> wrote:
        Hello,

        Since it's winter and I can't sail, I put up a short (30 second) clip
        of my last sail of the season. You can find it on the yahoo groups
        site under 'files'.

        Barry

        ---------------------------------

        John Quinn
        s/v GENESIS
        Neptune 24
        Channel Islands Harbor

      • hobie1canjoeb
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2006
          Barry,

          Now I'm jealous! Nice little clip! I noticed in the video that you have a solar vent mounted on your forward hatch port. I have a suggestion for you and others with similar vents based on a recent incident at the club where my boat is kept (Shennecossett Y.C. in Groton, CT) where thieves broke into approx. 15 boats and made off with TV's & other misc. electronics, tools, etc. Access in most cases was gained by removing the solar vent and reaching in through the hole, swinging the handle allowing the hatch to be fully raised.

          After receiving word of this, I took a ride down to my boat to check on it. I was fortunate! My boat was untouched! However, this incidence caused me to rethink what items I will leave aboard during the winter months and also what precautions I will take for summer security. Following is my initial reaction, thoughts & ideas:

          1.) Packed up and brought back all tools, TV, AM/FM/CD player, stationary VHF radio, hand held VHF radio and portable satellite dish.

          2.) Removed deep cycle batteries, oil lamp, candles & matches (In an attempt to make it inconvenient for a thief to search in the dark).

          3.) I unlocked the padlocks on the companionway and lockers. However, I left them in place so that they look like they are locked, hoping any potential thief would think they are locked and go onto the next boat. This way if and when an attempt is made to tamper with the lock, it will swing open and thus save me from having to repair fiberglass/wood damaged from prybars, etc.

          4.) I just purchased a new laptop for my business. It is a multi-media model complete with TV tuner and has ability to play CD's, DVD's, etc. I am considering toting it down to the boat on weekends. This will take the place of the LCD TV, AM/FM/CD player and DVD players. So that when I leave the boat, my media components come with me!

          5.) I am considering mounting my stationary VHF with some sort of "quick release" mount so that it comes home with me as well.

          6.) My cockpit mounted chartplotter will also have a quick release mount.

          I welcome any and all other ideas that anyone may have. It's a shame that on account of a few ruthless criminal animals, that we must be inconvenienced and take further steps to protect what we work hard for.!

          Sorry to put a damper on your video. I just thought this was a good time to send a word of caution so that others might avoid a similar experience. Hopefully it helps others.

          Regards,

          Joe Escalante

        • lenoble@optonline.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2006
            hi Joe,

            > Now I'm jealous! Nice little clip! I noticed in the video that

            Thanks. I made the video using a basic digital camera (Canon SD450).
            I was playing with the video mode and I thought it was kind of cool.
            The original video is 50meg, way too large to share. Then I found
            a video editing tool on my PC (Microsoft Video Maker or something like
            that). When I imported the video and saved it, the size dropped to
            3 meg. Then I added the title page to see how it came out. It's
            sort of fun and I think I'll do more with it.

            Any....,

            > you have a solar vent mounted on your forward hatch port. I have a
            > suggestion for you and others with similar vents based on a recent
            > incident at the club where my boat is kept (Shennecossett Y.C. in
            > Groton, CT) where thieves broke into approx. 15 boats and made off
            > with TV's & other misc. electronics, tools, etc. Access in most

            Wow, what a shame. Glad you were spared.

            My boat is on a mooring during the season, so I'm not too worried
            about security then. My real thought is that since there are bigger
            nicer boats moored near me, I don't need to worry very much.

            In the winter my boat is stored in a yard. It's shrink-wrapped, and I
            bring home the electronics, cushions, and other valuables. The fixed
            mount VHF stays behind. It's older and since new units with DSC and
            lots more features cost less than $200, I can't imagine mine being stolen.

            Regarding securing the boat, I don't even bother locking it. In fact, I bring
            the crib boards home so I can refinish them. I put a piece of plywood in
            their place, but there isn't a lock. I leave the hatch open so the boat can
            be ventilated. There really isn't anything of value stored on the boat,
            so thieves can't do much.

            Lastly, regarding a 4th of July gathering on the Long Island Sound, I have
            just one concern: How crowded will marina's and anchorages be during
            the holiday? I don't have much boating experience on the 4th, but I used
            to do a lot of motor home camping. I learned to stay home on summer holiday's
            because the places were too crowded to enjoy. Better to go the week
            before or the week after when there were no crowds. So, is boating similar,
            or is there enough space for everyone?

            Take care,
            Barry

            Barry Lenoble
            Noble Prize
            1986 Newport 28
            Mt. Sinai, NY
            lenoble@...
          • John Quinn
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2006
              Barry,

              I believe you are referring to Windows Movie Maker.
              Neat little program with a nice selection of options
              both for imput and output. I dare say many people
              don't know it is available on their computers.
              JJQ

              John Quinn
              s/v GENESIS
              Neptune 24
              Channel Islands Harbor
            • Matt McCay
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 5, 2006
                Barry,Paul ,Joe. Oops, I just remembered thanks to
                Barrys reminder of the 7/4 weekend being a madhouse.
                Forgot I have a LeMans race at limerock to go to. It's
                a must do(avid lemans fan). Still may have 2 or 3 days
                free that weekend, although Barry has a point. Best
                place would be shelter Island area as there's a few
                nooks and crannies.I'll check what day race is. Matt
                McCay Blue Moon

                --- lenoble@... wrote:

                hi Joe,

                Terms of Service.