Re: [Newport Sailboats] sewing machine

  • Captndlbrown@...
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2 3:11 PM
      lets talk sail repair again, My carpel tunnel surgery in Nov,2012 has
      really given me a lot of relief. I want to sew again. I dropped my major account
      due to too much work for my old hands. My loft does sails up to 28' boats
      and jibs for bigger boats best. I redo uv covers, batton pockets; change
      overs to roller furling, reef points, rebuilding tac, head and clew. I have
      recut sails to fit your boat, but you need to know what you want with that
      (ie.shorten the sail 18").

      Thanks,
      Diana Brown
      N17 Comfort Zone
      Designs For Comfort
      (607)279-2986

      In a message dated 12/27/2010 10:01:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      j24jaded@... writes:

      You will like the Pfaff if you get one... it is a domestic machine (motor
      mounted on the machine, instead of a clutch motor mounted under the table)
      they are made well!
      About all of the heavy machines form the 50'- 60's will sew a few layers of
      Sumbrella with out much problem. also look at the Pfaff 230, I have one
      that
      I love. the 230 is about the same machine in a little more modern case.
      mine
      is a 1956 and weighs a ton.
      If you want to sew sails or large projects you will want a longer throat
      (arm) machine. the issue is material handling the larger it gets the more
      difficult it is to deal with. Pfaff makes a 138 and a 238 that both have
      long arms and can be set in a industrial table with a clutch motor.
      if you want to sew sails you will need to be sure that you get a zig zag
      machine.
      then you should consider if you want one that is portable, the 130 and 230
      can both be found in a sewing table or in a case for travel.
      let me know if you have any more questions.
      good luck
      Jimmie

      On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Michael Durfey <mdurfey@...> wrote:

      > ?Happy new year all,
      >
      > Can anyone recommend a small, less than $300 sewing machine that can
      handle
      > canvas and sail material?
      >
      > I've heard of a Pfaff 130 (think that's the brand) which is bullet proof,
      > and are affordable if used and referbished.
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Michael
      > Very green San Diego

    • Jimmie White
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2 5:34 PM
        Ahoy Cptn Diana
        I was just wondering about you�) I hadn't seen any thing posted from you in a long while.
        I am just starting on a big project, building a new bimini and enclosure for a Irwin 38 Center cockpit.
        I'm also going to redo the bimini on my N28, the rain storm got it. it puddled with water and colasped
        So far I have 12 yards of Captain Navy Sunbrella, some patterning material and a new Ultrafeed LSZ-1 on the way. Sailrite
        is getting all my money�.)
        What can you tell me about the clear window products I have a sheet of O'Sea clear 30 for the dodger window� do I need
        to use the expensive stuff for the sides and back? is there a less expensive brand that you could recommend?
        I am designing and bending my own bimini frame, right now i am struggling with the shoulder radius. Can I go to big?
        I have a 12 5/8" inch bender I am considering, that or I could build a 10 die..?

        What about thread, Solar Fix 2000 was recommended to me.. any thoughts?
        thanks
        Jimmie White
        NW Arkansas
        N28 "Osprey" for sale
        Irwin 38CC "Soul Serenade" gulf bound this fall..)