Re: [Newport Sailboats] Pre-Heat Glow Plug Soleniod and Test

  • Ccibd@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2012
      Hi Dan:

      Added one to our M-15 and found great improvement! Used a West marine continuous duty solenoid. An intermittent duty soleniod (like on a auto starter) would have probably worked fine as well, and being much cheaper. Run your load wire off the starter motor terminal (as that is always hot and its only a foot or two total run to soleniod and to the glow plugs) and use the line from the harness to the glow plugs to drive the soleniod.

      Glow plugs are pretty durable. Universal wiring harnesses are not. You should be surprised by the improvement!

      Best regards!

      Brent N-30-III
      Los Alamitos, CA

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2012
        Dan, Yanmar on shelter island drive in San Diego will test if you bring
        them in.

      • Terry Conroy
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 2, 2012
          Good Morning Rich Watson..

            I am Terry Conroy ..Diesel Engineer Mobile .. 45 yr's Exp

            I can also Check and repair ALL  Parts of Diesel Eng..

               Fuel and Electrical .and repair as needed..

               Please Call Terry on cell  817 925 8995
                   Or Email
                                 dieseldonerightaway@...

                                                         Thank You
                                                          Terry Conroy

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 2, 2012
             God Morning Dan
             Good Morning Rich Watson..

              I am Terry Conroy ..Diesel Engineer Mobile .. 45 yr's Exp

              I can also Check and repair ALL  Parts of Diesel Eng..

                 Fuel and Electrical .and repair as needed..

               Also Those Universal Engines Suffer from a serious wiring problem
                 They have several wire's that get Very Very Hot from Battery.
                  A Baaad Fire Risk

                 { These should be rewired completely  ?? }

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 3, 2012
              Thank you guys for the feedback on this little project. I finished this
              glow plug wiring conversion yesterday ( took about 6 hours with two store
              trips ) . So what I actually did was replace the original long length of
              wire going to the glow plugs with very short length via use of the solenoid
              "switch". I used #8 wire/power off the starter/runs to the solenoid and
              then more #8 wire up to the glow plugs and the old glow plug wire from the
              glow plug switch is simply used to activate the solenoid. So now the length
              of wire to power the plugs is large and only about 3ft long total. Results:
              Honestly, its very remarkable!! In cold weather( Pacific Northwest) I used
              to have to hold the glow plug switch sometimes1-2 minutes....after this fix
              the motor fired up in about 10 seconds!! Amazing. Total cost of project
              about $50.

              Couple things I learned. Probably NOT a good idea to scrimp on the
              solenoid. "Continuous Duty" is required and one meant for marine
              application good idea.They are made with better contact material than those
              made for the old Ford car and therefore shouldn't burn up as would the
              inexpensive Ford one.

              Steve, I intended to replace the plugs on your suggestion but decided not
              to after seeing how much of the motor it appeared I'd have to disassemble
              in order to screw them out! As great as the system seems to be working now,
              I'm glad I didn't....another project , another time.

              If anybody has actually read this far down, I have another question to
              throw out on this topic>>>>>fuse protection? The literature on this
              mentions to fuse protect coming off the started motor ( power source for
              the solenoid ) to the solenoid....which all is meant to protect the glow
              plugs from burning up in the event of solenoid switch trip failure, right??
              So, HOW DO I DETERMINE WHAT AMP FUSE TO USE FOR THIS PROTECTION???...Would
              have to do with what kind of amperage the plugs can take?....I'm confused?

              Thanks for the help,

              Dan

              NP 28

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 3, 2012
                I used a 20 amp fuse.

                Steve

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 3, 2012
                  Sounds good Steve. Any trouble with going through fuses? Was 20 amp based
                  on anything in particular or on experience on what seems to work?

                  Thanks,
                  Dan

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 3, 2012
                    Each glow plug rated at 6 amp max draw and I thought a 15 amp fuse was too close to 12amp total. Have not blown one yet. Using my M18 right now. Wind died and I have 3 hours of motoring in front of me. Beautiful day to be on the water here in sunny Florida.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 3, 2012
                      Bingo! Thank you so much for the info....feeling like I'm getting a bit OCD
                      on this thing but its nice to do it right and to know why.

                      Sunny Florida!!.. Sounds great. We are looking at a fairly mild 55 degrees,
                      nothing but grey skies and coming rain....and more rain....and more after
                      that here in Portland Ore. have fun.

                      Dan

                      On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM, <sailor_n28@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Each glow plug rated at 6 amp max draw and I thought a 15 amp fuse was too
                      > close to 12amp total. Have not blown one yet. Using my M18 right now. Wind
                      > died and I have 3 hours of motoring in front of me. Beautiful day to be on
                      > the water here in sunny Florida.

                      Dan Caldwell,OD
                      Gresham Vision Center
                      125 NW Miller Ave
                      Gresham, Oregon 97030
                      503-665-3813

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 3, 2012
                        Was in Portland 2 weeks ago for a trade show. Perfect weather. Can you tell I'm bored? SOG 4.3 knots against the current and still no hint of wind.

                        Bingo! Thank you so much for the info....feeling like I'm getting a bit OCD
                        on this thing but its nice to do it right and to know why.

                        Sunny Florida!!.. Sounds great. We are looking at a fairly mild 55 degrees,
                        nothing but grey skies and coming rain....and more rain....and more after
                        that here in Portland Ore. have fun.

                        Dan

                        On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM, <sailor_n28@...> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > Each glow plug rated at 6 amp max draw and I thought a 15 amp fuse was too
                        > close to 12amp total. Have not blown one yet. Using my M18 right now. Wind
                        > died and I have 3 hours of motoring in front of me. Beautiful day to be on
                        > the water here in sunny Florida.

                        Dan Caldwell,OD
                        Gresham Vision Center
                        125 NW Miller Ave
                        Gresham, Oregon 97030
                        503-665-3813

                      • Jeffrey Beardsley
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 4, 2012
                          Steve,

                          Florida? Sunny Florida?

                          Where exactly in Sunny Florida are you?

                          Reason I asked is that I moved my family to Florida, Leesburg to be
                          specific, this past summer. I'm following as soon as I retire. Even though
                          that's 4 to 28 months away (depends on how much longer the job lasts) I'm
                          starting to look for a new home for Honu. Leesburg is mid-state, 35 miles
                          north of Orlando.

                          Any advice you'd care to offer?

                          Best Regards

                          Jeffrey Beardsley

                          SV Honu

                          Newport 33

                          Port of Everett, WA

                          <mailto:newportsailboats%40yahoogroups.com>
                          Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 11:17:42
                          To: <newportsailboats@yahoogroups.com

                        • sailor_n28@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 4, 2012
                            Flemming Island Marina, Orange Park, just south of Jacksonville on St Johns River. Great area to sail,acess to ICW and Atlantic, protected but still good wind and great secluded anchorages. Shands bridge at Palatkan FL limits many sailboats with only a 46' clearance. Lots of marina options on the St Johns as well as ICW. No extra charge for the summer humidity.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 4, 2012
                              Thanks,

                              I'll check it out Thanksgiving. My brother lives in Jacksonville. That
                              sounds convenient.

                              Best Regards

                              Jeffrey Beardsley

                              SV Honu