11462Re: [Newport Sailboats] companionway hatch

  • Russ Wampler
    Jun 7, 2014
      Yeah the hatch cover design was pretty bad on these boats.  Be glad yours has aluminum rails.  Mine does not have them; just the fiberglass frame of the cover sliding against teak rails.  The teak rails are worn down and the hatch lid sits about 1/8" lower than the comanionway hatch boards now.  Beneath the forward end there should be a strip of wood that prevents the hatch from sliding out but I think this was only lightly glued in and it has been removed from your boat (and mine).  I'd be interested in seeing some others who have made modifications also; I'd also like to re-build my hatch cover at some point as the teak is worn/weathered down quite a bit.

      Russ W
      N-41 Good Grief!
      SF Bay

      On 6/7/2014 7:57 PM, brodbeckfamily@... [newportsailboats] wrote:

      Greetings!

      I am doing a little work on the companionway hatch on my N 41 Summerwind.

      The hatch slides on an aluminum rail but has no glides, stops or attachments. The hatch can lift off easily upward or slide off all the way aft.  I would like to change this. If any of you have photos or thoughts on  designs, original or other, I would appreciate it.

      Thanks!

      Steve Brodbeck

      Summerwind N41

      San Diego