11451Re: [Newport Sailboats] Fwd: Scupper

  • wanda smith
    May 27, 2014
      It's wonderful tje way you sailors help each other and maintain those fabulous Newport yachts.  Happy sailing,  Wanda Smith from Capital Yachts history.

      On Tuesday, May 27, 2014 7:41 AM, "SpunkysSD@... [newportsailboats]" <newportsailboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi Adam, I have what you have. The 1" wide thru hull about 1 7/8" long. I just tapped it gently from the outside to the inside and gooped up the exposed part inside and tapped it back to the outside after putting 3m 5200 sealant over it and then wiping off the excess. I then put a small bead on the outside. This should do the trick . There was no inside the boat access to this area. It is obviously a 1 piece thru hull put in at the building of the boat as each side has a lip. I then use a flapper valve from Custom Rubber Inc (http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/customrubbercorp/the-56/Flapper-Valve/Detail) on the outside. I have used this for 23 years that I have owned this boat; without any issues till now. The thru hull was pushed in a little so I knew it might be a bit looser than when first put in. Hope this is helpful.... Brian 78' Newport 28'.

      In a message dated 5/26/2014 9:04:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, newportsailboats@yahoogroups.com writes:

      Hello,
      I have a 75 n28 and am having issues with the drains as well. Is there any way you could take a couple pics of your setup? My boat has two 1" drains that exit through the transom. They are below waterline when we are under motor and the cockpit takes on water unless the drains are plugged. I was thinking of installing a flapper or float type scupper.

      Thanks,
      Adam

      On Monday, May 26, 2014 7:43 AM, "SpunkysSD@... [newportsailboats]" <newportsailboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Has anyone had to rebed the flapper scuppers on the Newport 28'? I am taking on a small amount of water when heeling to one side only. I am thinking of putting a small bead of epoxy around the thru hull from the cabin side but epoxy is rather final as opposed to something like 3m 5200; then put a bead of the 5200 on the outside of the transom. Then I'll go underneath and use the 5200 on the seams there. I really like the flappers but they are spaced off the back of the transom to accommodate the flapper edges. Any advice?   Brian - Spunky's Summer Daze  78' Newport 28".

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic