Cycling in Stratford City

  • Siobhan
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2003
      I am writing to express our interest in consultation on a number of aspects of the Stratford City project. These include...

       - All cycling specific features of the project
      - Opportunities to create new "joined up" direct routes for cyclists AND preservation and upgrading of existing routes both within the site and linking into surrounding road and cycle route networks
       - Cross borough routes and across borough boundaries
       - Road traffic engineering and junction design for BOTH leisure and commuter cyclists
       - Overall environmental sustainability of the project
       - Safe Routes to Schools
       - Cycling for health and leisure
       - Cycling as transport, including to local amenities

      We would also like to invite representatives of the Stratford City development project team to exhibit and participate in a major East London regional Cycling Festival being held at the Lee Valley Cycle Circuit, Eastway on Sunday June 15th as part of National Bike Week.

      With the Cycle Circuit's proximity to the Stratford City site, this event is an excellent opportunity to showcase the development and meet local cyclists. The Cycle Circuit and neighbouring Eastway Sports Centre are also of significance with respect to the Olympic bid.

      The Eastway Cycling Day will be essentially a fun day but with a serious edge! Groups representing other transport modes have been invited to take part in a debate. It is important to note that this is not an exclusively Newham event. London Cycling Campaign groups from Tower Hamlets, Hackney, Waltham Forest and Redbridge have also been involved in organising the event and representatives from their councils are expected to attend.

      Please contact me for more details.

      Siobhan Owens
      Chair
      Newham Cycling Campaign