Tunnel under Stratford High Street

  • oksoiamnotagenius
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2007
      A Happy New Year to Newham Cyclists and all our readers!

      Just to let everyone know who has supplied information about the
      tunnel under Stratford High Street (see earlier emails): I have
      passed on your information to an Arup engineer who has been
      commissioned by the Olympic Delivery Authority to design measures to
      mitigate the Stratford road closures that will take place this
      summer. The engineer will not be back in the office for another
      couple of weeks. As soon as I get her views on the tunnel I will pass
      them on to you.

      To re-cap on the road closures. There will be no access to the
      Olympic site by road after the summer, for example via Carpenters
      Road. The only route on to and through the Olympic site will be along
      the Greenway. For those like myself who use Carpenters Road to access
      the canal tow paths for journeys to Victoria Park in Hackney, the
      Angel Islington, Camden Market and Regents Park the route along the
      Greenway is vital. At present this part of the Greenway is horrible
      (burned our motorcycles, poor security, bad path surfaces, etc). The
      mitigation measures are intended to address these issues and also how
      to directly link the Greenway on both sides of Straford High Street.
      At the moment pland are for either a bridge or a traffic light
      controlled crossing. The tunnel may now be a third option.

      Bernard McDonnell
    • nick.williams.cex@newham.gov.uk
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2007

        Bernard

        Just to clarify, as I mentioned to you before, the most recent plans from the ODA, which were the subject of the consultation exercise no longer show the bridge over Stratford High Street.  Though they’re a little vague, the plans seem to suggest the controlled crossing is now what’s on offer.

        Speaking personally, and not on behalf of the Council, I think this is a great shame.  Something like the Green Bridge could have been an exciting feature and would have certainly helped to rejuvenate the Greenway.

        But I understand from what you said to me that the Newham Cyclists view was that a crossing at that point would be better as it would help to slow down the traffic.  I’m not sure whether that was your official view, or just a first reaction.  But if the group is still interested in the bridge option it would have been helpful to say that during the pre-application consultation and it will be essential to say it once the planning application is submitted, though by then it could be too late.  You’ll remember that the ODA said they were bringing forward this part of the infrastructure plan so that access to the Greenway could be improved by the time the surrounding roads close.

        Nick

[...]

        NOTE: This communication is sent for and on behalf of the London Borough of Newham.

        However the views expressed within it are not necessarily the views or policies of the Council. The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this communication and any attachments is forbidden. This communication and any attachments are intended for the addressee only and may be confidential. If this has come to you in error you should immediately permanently destroy it.

        You should take no action based on it or copy or show it to anyone and telephone the Council immediately with any issues on 0208 430 4444 or any other number provided in the communication. Please note that electronic communication is not considered a secure medium for sending information and therefore maybe at risk.

        We advise that you understand and accept this lack of security when using this form of communication with us. Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free and should run current anti-virus software. Please note that email may be monitored and checked to safeguard the council network from viruses, hoax messages or abuse of the Council's systems. Action may be taken against any malicious and deliberate attempts to infect the council network.

        The information contained in this email maybe subject to public disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Unless the information is legally exempt from disclosure the confidentiality of this email and your reply cannot be guaranteed.

      • oksoiamnotagenius
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 19, 2007
          Bernard

          Many thanks for passing this information on the bricked-up Stratford
          High Street tunnel on to me. We [ARUP/ODA]were not aware of it, but it
          certainly sounds potentially useful. We will investigate and look into
          possibilities for incorporating it into the walking/cycling network.

          I will let you know the outcome of our investigations.

          Thanks again for your positive contributions.
          Best wishes
          Sarah Parry-Jones
        • Barry Mason
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 19, 2007
            But let's not force walkers and cyclists underground into nasty scarey
            underpasses. That's so 1950's.

            Let's soar over the motors on a gorgeous new bridge.

            Barry
            07905 889 005
            Last Tuesday the fire brigade were called to the beach by the
            Rotherhithe Hilton. A fox had been stranded by the rising tide. They
            lassoed it. And the cold soaked but very alive fox slipped away as soon
            as it was on dry land. Some say it was looking for the new bridge.

            oksoiamnotagenius wrote:
            > Bernard
            >
            > Many thanks for passing this information on the bricked-up Stratford
            > High Street tunnel on to me. We [ARUP/ODA]were not aware of it, but it
            > certainly sounds potentially useful. We will investigate and look into
            > possibilities for incorporating it into the walking/cycling network.
            >
            > I will let you know the outcome of our investigations.
            >
            > Thanks again for your positive contributions.
            > Best wishes
            > Sarah Parry-Jones

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Andrij Bebko
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 21, 2007
              Dear cyclists,

              I have posted a .pdf to this group's "Files". The document contains
              photos of the tunnels under Stratford High Street as well as some comments.

              Andrij Bebko
            • Anna Bagi
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 17, 2007
                I prefer the first two options. The third raises concerns of security.
                Anna