Proposed Ride Saturday 25th August

  • Greg Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2001
      Expedition to find the source of the Lea! (well perhaps)

      On behalf of Newham Cycling Campaign group I am proposing to organise a ride on August Bank holiday Saturday. 25th

      Suggest we start from Eastway cycle circuit at 12 noon. Bring a picnic. Pubs and cafes along the way. Good birdwatching and some playgrounds for kids.

      We will aim to reach Waltham Abbey / Chesunt (with options to go on to Rye House or Hertford) It will be about 20 miles on traffic free cycle routes and river towpaths. (NB. riders (especially children who must be accompanied by a responsible adult) need to be confident and responsible as in places the towpath is narrow.

      You can opt to return by train to Liverpool Street and Stratford etc.
      Or cycle back to make it about 40 miles.

      Greg Smith
      51 Claude Road
      London E13 0QQ
      tel 0208 470 4631
      email greg3@...
      home page:   http://homepages.uel.ac.uk/G.Smith/
      family web site   http://www.maister-smith.fsnet.co.uk/familyweb/home.htm

      ---
    • Jakob Nick {LNC OSG}
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2001
        All

        Gregory is strictly correct and it is right to consider this. However in 3
        years of almost daily use of the canals nearer home I have only seen anyone
        stopping cyclists once and that was to ask if they wanted a permit, and to
        educate them about responsible use of the towpaths.

        Suggest if stopped you act ignorant, be polite and apologise if necessary
        (probably unnecessary) and you should be OK. At start of ride, remind people
        that there are many users of towpath and caution is required.

        Have a good day.

        Nick

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9, 2001
          Regular cyclists (ie commuters) on the towpath should get the BWB but
          casuals really needn't bother....no one ever checks.

          Why don't you/they ask the Sustrans Ranger for that stretch to lead
          it.....Peter Jolly on 8550 8097. If he can't then he'll find someone else.

          You definitely won't reach the source of the Lea/Lee in Waltham
          Abbey - it rises somewhere near Luton!

          On a more serious note, are you aware that:

          1 you need a cycle permit to cycle on British Waterways'
          towpaths?

          2 it is a contravention of one of BW's byelaws to organize bike
          rides along their towpaths?

          Hope this is is some use.

          Gregory

          Important:
          This e-mail is intended for the above named person only and should be
          treated as confidential. If this has come to you in error you should take
          no action based on it, nor should you copy or show it to anyone;
          please telephone us immediately.
        • Gregory J. Moffatt

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 9, 2001
              Having scrupulously obtained and used a BW permit for the five years 1982-87
              and never once been asked to show it despite regular commuting I concluded
              it is about as pointless as the law against football in the streets which is
              still on the statute book.

              If anyone has a tender conscience they need not come on the ride or they can
              use the routes up the valley which are not on towpath.

              I trust you are not going to tip off the BW bailiffs!

              from

              Greg Smith
              51 Claude Road
              London E13 0QQ

              tel 0208 470 4631

              My new Home page leading to all my web sites is at
              http://homepages.uel.ac.uk/G.Smith/

              ---
            • Jakob Nick {LNC OSG}
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 9, 2001
                Greg

                Or perhaps those inflatable cycle powered dinghies are a possible
                alternative? Do they require permits? (don't all answer) They aren't cheap
                though, and the locks are a delaying factor.......

                I was trying desperately to remember some even sillier statutes which are
                still in force but they won't come back to me!!!

                Nick

                Having scrupulously obtained and used a BW permit for the five years 1982-87
                and never once been asked to show it despite regular commuting I concluded
                it is about as pointless as the law against football in the streets which is
                still on the statute book.

                If anyone has a tender conscience they need not come on the ride or they can
                use the routes up the valley which are not on towpath.

                I trust you are not going to tip off the BW bailiffs!

                from

                Greg Smith
                51 Claude Road
                London E13 0QQ

                tel 0208 470 4631

                My new Home page leading to all my web sites is at
                http://homepages.uel.ac.uk/G.Smith/

                ---