FW: [hackney-lcc] [Fwd: [thw] Aggressive Gang]

  • Duncan Price
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2005
      -----Original Message-----
      From: hackney-lcc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hackney-lcc@yahoogroups.com]
      On Behalf Of Oliver Schick
      Sent: 01 September 2005 07:12
      To: hackney-lcc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [hackney-lcc] [Fwd: [thw] Aggressive Gang]

      From the THW list.

      O.
      Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:55:33 +0000
      From: Tracy Karkut-Law <tmkl@...>
      Subject: Aggressive Gang

      Dear Wheelers,

      Tracy Karkut-Law's husband, Jonathan, here.

      The gang that has been trying to push cyclists in to Regent's Canal has
      re-surfaced again. I was on my way home today around 6pm heading south
      and had just gone past Roman Road on the section of Mile End Park where
      the Ecology centre is, when I saw a gang of 9 or 10 Bengali youths (ages
      varying from around 8-15) ahead of me. I moved towards the park side of
      the path, but the group drifted over to that side forcing me to pass on
      the canal side.

      At that point on reflection I should have dismounted as I knew exactly
      what they were up to. Unfortunately my brain and limbs didn't react
      together quickly enough and I was already upon them. At this point the
      largest/oldest of the group lunged towards me and pushed me hard with
      both hands. Luckily as I said, I was half ready for this and narrowly
      missed taking a plunge.

      As I continued to ride on I managed to stop several cyclists coming the
      other way and warn them about the group.

      Although in effect nothing really happened, it seems to me that the gang
      will keep on trying this stunt until someone is pushed in the canal. One
      thing to consider though is that if the person whom that happens to
      cannot swim, then a far more alarming incident could occur. Clearly in
      the current environment with 9/10ths of the Met chasing terrorists it is
      not worth raising this with the Police. However, I don't think it would
      be at all responsible to simply let this gang continue to act with
      impunity and just wait for a much worse incident to occur. Has anyone
      any thoughts as to who to raise this issue with? I'm not sure what
      concerns British Waterways cover?

      With a slightly dented pride,

      Jonathan Karkut.

      Need to unsubscribe? Send blank mail to