Fwd: [thw-ml] Open House Ride [Saturday 21st - Easy]

  • Jane & Arnold Ridout
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2013
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: "Alex Wareing" <alex@...>
      Date: 18 Sep 2013 14:54
      Subject: [thw-ml] Open House Ride [Saturday 21st - Easy]
      To: <thw-mailing@yahoogroups.com>, "THWyahoogroup" <towerhamletswheelers@yahoogroups.com>, <hackney-lcc@yahoogroups.com>

      It's that time of year again when you have the chance to see inside many buildings not normally open to the public: It's the London Open House weekend!

      On Saturday (21st), Nicola will be leading her annual Open House ride, this time concentrating on the many exciting buildings, old and new, in the Borough of Hackney.

      We'll be visiting 5-7 properties (depending on the length of the queues), and the selection is as eclectic as ever. It includes a school built by the only architect that has a James Bond villain named after him (true), a mosque with an interior modelled on the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, a minimalist "Shed", a school resembling an ocean liner, a Victorian music hall as well as the usual unusual homes.

      The route will mainly go through quieter streets though some larger roads and crossings are inevitable.

      Bring a lock. We'll make time for a lunch stop and there might be tea and cake at one of the properties.

      For this ride please let me know in advance if you'd like to come, by email

      (nwissbrock@...) or text on 07702 473 544. We'd like to keep the group size to a maximum of 10 as otherwise we'll overwhelm some of the smaller houses.

      Meeting 8:50am for a 9am start from the Green Bridge. We'll try to get to the first property early to beat the queues, so please be punctual!

      The ride will be about 20 miles in total, but don't forget that the riding is not really the main focus of the day, it's just the most convenient way to get around London to see the properties.

      Ride Leader: Nicola [nwissbrock@... or 07702 473 544]