Fwd: [lccbc] Dave Horton visits London's cycling revolution

  • Jane & Arnold Ridout
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 2011
      All,

      An interesting article stressing the need for cycle facilities and political will.  Sounds familiar....

      Arnold.

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 8, 2011
        Cyclists, swimmers, gym users - unite; we have nothing to lose....well everything if this council gets its way:
        see our website: www.notsponsored.co.uk
        Today petitioning outisde Wilkinsons in Stratford.
        Next week 15/10/11: The People vs Robin Wales outside the Atherton from 11:00am, come in Lycra and show the mayor we can run sports better than him.
        Spread the word..

        An interesting article stressing the need for cycle facilities and political will.  Sounds familiar....

        Arnold.

        Dave Horton, one of the authors of "Understanding Walking and Cycling" and an advocate of going Dutch will be in London tomorrow to visit some of the highpoints of London's cycling revolution. He will be meeting David Dansky at Look Mum No Hands at 12. Other cyclists are welcome to join them.

        A summary of Dave's report is on Bike Hub http://is.gd/U6AXwO

        Please can someone copy this to the go-dutch egroup as I am not a member of that group.

      • k Sloan
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 8, 2011
          Ok, now in the latest Newham magazine it said they were going to tear down the Atherton and replace it with something new. Is this not so? Do you not trust them? I can see it if they say it's not worth the money to fix it and it would be more cost effective to start from scratch, but you think they wouldn't bother to do that?

          Sloan

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 8, 2011
            In public the council say we are going to get a new state of the art sports centre, in private they say: ' there is a significant risk that the capital financing will not be secure for a replacement factility' and that: 'Reputational risk following the closure of the building will be managed by putting in place a robust communications strategy' - or in plain speak; we ain't going to replace it, but we wont tell the people that. [quotes from Newham Cabinet agenda item 12 - 22/9/11]

            radio interview with me last Saturday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_zfmIJ94UQ

            for more information on the campaign go to: www.notsponsored.co.uk

            Regard Simon Shaw
            Ok, now in the latest Newham magazine it said they were going to tear down the Atherton and replace it with something new. Is this not so? Do you not trust them? I can see it if they say it's not worth the money to fix it and it would be more cost effective to start from scratch, but you think they wouldn't bother to do that?

            Sloan

            On Sat Oct 8th, 2011 9:33 AM BST sjshaw@... wrote:

            >Cyclists, swimmers, gym users - unite; we have nothing to lose....well everything if this council gets its way:see our website: www.notsponsored.co.ukToday petitioning outisde Wilkinsons in Stratford.Next week 15/10/11: The People vs Robin Wales outside the Atherton from 11:00am, come in Lycra and show the mayor we can run sports better than him.Spread the word..

          • Ross Corben
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 8, 2011

              be wary of greeks bearing gifts
              I remember swimming at the old pool before Hackney Council re-built it at Clissold Lee-jour Sentah
              took them a while and lots of money http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.burns/Hackney.htm

              is everyone in a mad rush to promise things in the name of the Olympics and get them funded and finished by 2012? even Boris and his cable car http://www.mayorwatch.co.uk/boris-fails-to-deliver-no-cost-to-taxpayer-cable-car/201117067
              isn't there anything the Olympic Legacy can do for local leisure facilities, or has it all been promised away to others?

              Ok, now in the latest Newham magazine it said they were going to tear down the Atherton and replace it with something new. Is this not so? Do you not trust them? I can see it if they say it's not worth the money to fix it and it would be more cost effective to start from scratch, but you think they wouldn't bother to do that?

              Sloan

              On Sat Oct 8th, 2011 9:33 AM BST sjshaw@... wrote:

              >Cyclists, swimmers, gym users - unite; we have nothing to lose....well everything if this council gets its way:see our website: www.notsponsored.co.ukToday petitioning outisde Wilkinsons in Stratford.Next week 15/10/11: The People vs Robin Wales outside the Atherton from 11:00am, come in Lycra and show the mayor we can run sports better than him.Spread the word..

              No virus found in this message.

            • Duncan Price
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 8, 2011
                The whole thing appears disingenuous to say the least. They spin the numbers by quoting the cost of repair as £2.2m over 10 years so it sound large. That's less than £1 per person per year for those using the centre. Well it's going to cost me twice that much every week to take my daughter to swimming lessons at Balaam St, presuming they can fit them in.

                I heard that Newham Council spends £300k per month on the Newham (propoganda) Mag. If that's true then cut its circulation from weekly to monthly.

                I could go on. Even the spot the mayor competition would be more fun.

                I for one will be writing to my councillor. Are there elections next year?

                Duncan

                On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 20:14 BST
                Ross Corben wrote:>be wary of greeks bearing gifts>I remember swimming at the old pool before Hackney Council re-built it at Clissold Lee-jour Sentah>took them a while and lots of money http://www.btinternet.com/~paul.burns/Hackney.htm>>is everyone in a mad rush to promise things in the name of the Olympics and get them funded and finished by 2012? even Boris and his cable car http://www.mayorwatch.co.uk/boris-fails-to-deliver-no-cost-to-taxpayer-cable-car/201117067>isn't there anything the Olympic Legacy can do for local leisure facilities, or has it all been promised away to others?>> ----- Original Message ----- > From: sjshaw@... > To: newham-cycling@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2011 3:17 PM> Subject: Re: [newham-cycling] Save The Atherton>>> > In public the council say we are going to get a new state of the art sports centre, in private they say: ' there is a significant risk that the capital financing will
                not be secure for a replacement factility' and that: 'Reputational risk following the closure of the building will be managed by putting in place a robust communications strategy' - or in plain speak; we ain't going to replace it, but we wont tell the people that. [quotes from Newham Cabinet agenda item 12 - 22/9/11]>>> radio interview with me last Saturday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_zfmIJ94UQ>>> for more information on the campaign go to: www.notsponsored.co.uk>>> Regard Simon Shaw> --- On Sat, 8/10/11, k Sloan <ksloan5@...> wrote:>>> From: k Sloan <ksloan5@...>> Subject: Re: [newham-cycling] Save The Atherton> To: newham-cycling@yahoogroups.com> Date: Saturday, 8 October, 2011, 13:28>>> >> Ok, now in the latest Newham magazine it said they were going to tear down the Atherton and replace it with something new. Is this not so? Do you not trust them? I
                can see it if they say it's not worth the money to fix it and it would be more cost effective to start from scratch, but you think they wouldn't bother to do that?>> Sloan>> On Sat Oct 8th, 2011 9:33 AM BST sjshaw@... wrote:>> >Cyclists, swimmers, gym users - unite; we have nothing to lose....well everything if this council gets its way:see our website: www.notsponsored.co.ukToday petitioning outisde Wilkinsons in Stratford.Next week 15/10/11: The People vs Robin Wales outside the Atherton from 11:00am, come in Lycra and show the mayor we can run sports better than him.Spread the word..> >> >--- On Fri, 7/10/11, Jane & Arnold Ridout <ridoutsat13@...> wrote:> >> >From: Jane & Arnold Ridout <ridoutsat13@...>> >Subject: [newham-cycling] Fwd: [lccbc] Dave Horton visits London's cycling revolution> >To: newham-cycling@yahoogroups.com> >Date: Friday, 7
                October, 2011, 20:30> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > > >> >> >> > > >> >> > > > > > > > All,> >An interesting article stressing the need for cycle facilities and political will. Sounds familiar....> >Arnold.> >> >---------- Forwarded message ----------> >> >From: Charlie <charlie@...>> >Date: 7 October 2011 08:28> >Subject: [lccbc] Dave Horton visits London's cycling revolution> >> >To: lccbc@yahoogroups.com> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >>
              • Windows Live Hotmail Team
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 9, 2011
                  Hello all
                  Newham Council states that it will cost £2 million over 10 year to upgrade the Atherton Centre. Where will Newham Council get the money from to build a new Swimming centre if the cant afford £2 m for the upgrade
                  Plaistow Hospital is still empty and if £2 millin had been spent upgrading that we would not be paying for the next 25 years for the new build in Shrewsbury road
                  kind regards
                  Margaret

                  To: newham-cycling@yahoogroups.com
                  From: priceduncan@...
                  Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 22:09:14 +0100

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 14, 2011
                    All

                    There is a council consultation event tomorrow morning Sat 15th 10:00 at Atherton Leisure Centre.

                    Come along and let your feelings known.

                    Duncan

                    On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 13:37 BST Windows Live Hotmail Team wrote:>>Hello all>Newham Council states that it will cost £2 million over 10 year to upgrade the Atherton Centre. Where will Newham Council get the money from to build a new Swimming centre if the cant afford £2 m for the upgrade>Plaistow Hospital is still empty and if £2 millin had been spent upgrading that we would not be paying for the next 25 years for the new build in Shrewsbury road>kind regards>Margaret> >>>>To: newham-cycling@yahoogroups.com>From: priceduncan@...>Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 22:09:14 +0100>Subject: Re: [newham-cycling] Save The Atherton>>> >>>>>The whole thing appears disingenuous to say the least. They spin the numbers by quoting the cost of repair as £2.2m over 10 years so it sound large. That's less than £1 per person per year for those using the centre. Well it's going to cost me twice that much every week to take my daughter to swimming lessons at Balaam St,
> [...]
                    [newham-cycling] Save The Atherton> To: newham-cycling@yahoogroups.com> Date: Saturday, 8 October, 2011, 13:28>>> >> Ok, now in the latest Newham magazine it said they were going to tear down the Atherton and replace it with something new. Is this not so? Do you not trust them? I>can see it if they say it's not worth the money to fix it and it would be more cost effective to start from scratch, but you think they wouldn't bother to do that?>> Sloan>> On Sat Oct 8th, 2011 9:33 AM BST sjshaw@... wrote:>> >Cyclists, swimmers, gym users - unite; we have nothing to lose....well everything if this council gets its way:see our website: www.notsponsored.co.ukToday petitioning outisde Wilkinsons in Stratford.Next week 15/10/11: The People vs Robin Wales outside the Atherton from 11:00am, come in Lycra and show the mayor we can run sports better than him.Spread the word..> >> >--- On Fri, 7/10/11, Jane & Arnold Ridout <ridoutsat13@...> wrote:> >>
                    Hands at 12. Other cyclists are welcome to join them.> >> >> >> >> >A summary of Dave's report is on Bike Hub http://is.gd/U6AXwO > >> >> >> >Please can someone copy this to the go-dutch egroup as I am not a member of that group.> >> >> >> >> >> > > > > >> > > > > >> >> >> >> >> >> > > >> >> >> >> >> >>> >> >> >> >> > > > > >> > > > > >> >> >> >> >> >> > > >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >>>> >>> >---------------------------------------------------------->> No virus found in this message.> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com> Version: 10.0.1410 / Virus Database: 1520/3943 - Release Date: 10/07/11>>>>
                  • Duncan Price
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 21, 2011
                      All

                      For those that weren't able to make the meeting, this sums up nicely the public sentiment on display.

                      Duncan On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 22:43 BST Duncan Price wrote:>All>>There is a council consultation event tomorrow morning Sat 15th 10:00 at Atherton Leisure Centre.>>Come along and let your feelings known.>>Duncan>>>>>>On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 13:37 BST Windows Live Hotmail Team wrote:>>Hello all>Newham Council states that it will cost £2 million over 10 year to upgrade the Atherton Centre. Where will Newham Council get the money from to build a new Swimming centre if the cant afford £2 m for the upgrade>Plaistow Hospital is still empty and if £2 millin had been spent upgrading that we would not be paying for the next 25 years for the new build in Shrewsbury road>kind regards>Margaret> >>>>To: newham-cycling@yahoogroups.com>From: priceduncan@...>Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 22:09:14 +0100>Subject: Re: [newham-cycling] Save The Atherton>>> >>>>>The whole thing appears disingenuous to say the least. They spin the numbers by quoting the cost of repair as £2.2m