There is a lot going on

  • Jane & Arnold Ridout
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2011
      All,

      • There should be an article on BBC London news on Friday about the cycle provision in Stratford.  Tom Bogdanowicz from the LCC Office and myself were working with the BBC team today.  It will be interesting to see what comes out in the editing, but the camera dwelt on two cycle nonsenses, in Great Eastern Street and the Bow flyover.
      • On Friday we also visited Westfield and made representations for cycle access and cycle parking.  There will be over one thousand cycle parking spaces for employees (generally secure and at the rate of 1 per 10 employees) and visitors (generally unsecured) dotted around the development.  Also negotiations are well developed to have a private company run a substantial cycle parking/maintenance operation under the bridge at Stratford Station.  If this comes off it could be a real boon.  We made representations for the boulevard through the middle of the shopping centre to be open to cyclists.This is not presently planned but equally is not yet excluded.
      • We also attended a "technical consultation" run by the Olympic Park Legacy Company held in anticipation of a major planning application for the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park which is likely to be lodged in September including a long discussion with the consultant acting for OPLC on transport (who was sympathetic to cycling and knowledgeable on cyclists needs).  There are some improvements for cycling, particularly on access at the Western side of the park.  Representations were made that cycle provision should be improved in the Park and there should be better access to the Park from the quadrant from Warton Road (with its infamous and daft directional sign from Stratford High St) to Alma Road, and that hard targets should be set for cycle usage and cycle parking.  There was considerable sympathy for a 20mph limit in the park.  That is likely for the residential zones and Hackney Council seemed sympathetic for this on the main Road from the Lea interchange to Westfield.
      • Jenny Jones, the mayoral candidate, will be visiting Stratford on 16 August.  I propose sending her  a briefing note.  If anyone wants to see it they should contact me separately as I cannot post it on the Yahoo Group.
      • I will also be making representations. with the University of East London, to TFL and a number of others  about cycle access to the Greenway.  Again copy available from me.
      • I will be leading a a Skyride feeder to central London on 4 September.  If there is anyone willing to assist by marshalling please let me know.  I will be using the easiest route possible, either off route along the canals or via the Greenway and CS3.
      Arnold
    • Ross Corben
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2011
        >there should be better access to the Park from the quadrant from Warton Road (with its infamous and daft directional sign from Stratford High St) to Alma Road<

        there are two 'Retail Park' LCN-type signs (one on westbound nearside, one on eastbound in centre) pointing up Warton Road. There is a square cycle route sign inside the park, beyond the security gate. are there any actual cycle facilities that justify Warton Road being a 'cycle route' other than in name and because it has some ASLs?
        where's the quadrant? Warton Road is the south west of the park, Alma Street is over to the east at Leyton Road - are there access points in between? Carpenters? no other pre-existing roads are shown crossing the rail line, but is that still there either?

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2011
          All,

          The nonsense cycle sign at Warton Road is one of the matters included for mention to Jenny Jones on her visit to Stratford on 16 August. We have also taken up more generally (recently with the BBC, the Olympic park Legacy Company and the Commission for a Sustainable London) the barriers to cycling to Westfield and the Olympic park represented by Stratford High Street and the Stratford gyratory.

          Arnold.

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2011
            I've nearly been knocked off several times by drivers turning left at Warton Road.

            The crosswinds around the new tall buildings there compound a singularly cycling-unfriendly bit of road.

            I have seen police camped out just after the Bow flyover with radar guns a few times in the last couple of months, but I don't think anything but average speed cameras will deter people from tanking through there at 50 or so when they aren't there.

            The National Express and Terravision coaches always seem to be in a particular hurry to reach the next set of traffic lights, normal red buses seem more civilised.