Free Film Show This Sunday 5th December

  • The Black Knight
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2004
      Hi All

      Our eco-warrior neighbours at the London Action Resource Centre are screening The Corporation this Sunday 5th December at 5:30 pm. All are welcome and there will be food laid on afterwards and a discussion about the issues raised in the film. (I don't know if the screening is reels, DVD or video).

      For those of you who are not familiar with this film its a movie documentary that was recently in the cinema, below is a review I brazenly stole from Time Out.

      "Corporations rule. But do they rule wisely? Could the institution that increasingly controls the essentials of life – that employs, produces and provides, extracts and pollutes, appropriates and monopolises, amuses and seduces, lobbies and bankrolls, disseminates and dissimulates – in fact embody all the characteristics of a psychopath? And wouldn’t that be cause for concern?

      Achbar and Abbott’s hefty doc goes for the great white whale of our times: the engine of global capitalism’s wealth creation and distribution, whose ‘hidden’ costs, it argues, seriously overawe the benefits. It’s a vast subject, shrouded in fog and contention, and at nearly two-and-a-half hours the film is bursting at the seams with facts, argument and illustration: it’s both a primer to and omnibus on the ‘dominant institution of our age’. It rounds up the usual suspects on the lucid left – Noam Chomsky, Howard Zinn, Naomi Klein, Michael Moore at his sharpest – but also sounds out free-market gurus and captains of industry, advertisers and corporate spies, sponsored students and Bolivian protesters. Some of the most fascinating elements include sequences on Fox News’s craven suppression of a scoop on Monsanto and IBM’s alleged provision of Holocaust accounting machines; footage of Canada’s elite preening 40 stories above street riots; and the fervour of born-again sustainability apostle Ray Anderson, CEO.

      Indeed, there’s so much material that the film sometimes struggles to delineate it. Chapter headers tend to disappear under the film’s later digressions; neater is its early ruse of taking the corporation’s status of legal personhood and running with it, all the way to the shrink: the film ticks off a checklist of the corporation’s sociopathic tendencies. In fact this sociopathy is itself written in law: corporations must pursue profit over all other interests. Greed is good; greed can be harnessed; man can control his monsters. Eye-opening, irreverent and bang on the nose, this film means business."

      The London Action Resource Centre is at

      62 Fieldgate Street, E1 (runs parallel to the Whitechapel Road from New Road to the bell foundary).

      KC Jones
      The Black Knight

      Build your own website, it's easy and fun.

      http://www.homemaster.net - Homemaster. Come Together. Online.