Re: A meeting about cycle paths on Wanstead Flats

  • oksoiamnotagenius
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
      Gerry wrote

      Thanks for bringing this to my attention Margaret.
      "As a cyclist, I am against having any more cycling paths on the Wanstead Flats".

      This issue was discussed at a recent meeting of Newham Cyclists. The view of the meeting was that the group should support the path and that as part of the project secure bike parking should be introduced, particularly at the football dressing rooms. But...

      There is continuing degradation of Wanstead Flats by inappropriate and money raising events on the Flats. Fairs and Firework displays next to an area of Wanstead Flats that is of Special Scientific interest, model aircraft noise polluting the area and affecting bird life. And now, a planned bike track across the Flats. How long before motorbikes or even cars are driven across the Flats using the planned path.

      Gerry makes an important plea for conservation of the Flats.

      Bernard McDonnell
    • Windows Live Hotmail Team
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
        Hello Gerry,
        I have lived on Wanstead Flat for 29 years and the Fair has been on Wanstead Flats for over one hundred years. The Fire works are a treat for everyone and the children really enjoy the display, the birds have finished nesting and everything is fishing growing for the winter.
         At present the majority of people using the Forest seem to be middle Class and I feel its time the children and young people stating visiting the Flats and the forest. There is a play park on Wanstead Flats and it is uplifting to see the children enjoying themselves
        I am an old woman and I have never worm Lycra and I cycled to work until I retired.
        I used to cycle to Tesco for my shopping at Leytonstone but I no longer  support Tesco because of way the buy up land and hold on to it. So I cycle to Stratford for my shopping.
        As a friend of Epping Forest I hear all the arguments in the newsletter.
        However I cant see what is wrong with a path by the road pavement
        In winter people would be glad to walk on the cycle path. ( I don't know where the path is planned for)
        If we all discuss the matter we should be able to get the best for everyone
        Kind regards
        Margaret Hamilton

        To: newham-cycling@yahoogroups.com