RE: [newham-cycling] FW: Press release: Prime Minister announces cycling festival for Newham

  • Anna Bagi
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 4, 2008
      i Margaret,

      I am riding quite slowly and I find it's not the speed, but the positioning and confidence.

      I have been teaching National Standards cycling for a number of years and we are really moving away from cycle lanes, since they are often not helping us with assertive cycling and it is like a ghetto for us to be in. Nor are they safe and certainly you can be knocked down in them. They might offer you a feeling of security, but that doesn't substitue for real safety.

      If you contact Newham's road safety team, they should be giving you info about training
      http://www.newham.gov.uk/Services/CyclingInNewham/AboutUs/CycleTraining.htm
      or if you don't get far, I might be able to get together with you and give you a few tips. If you're interested, contact me off the list please.

      Cheers

      Anna

      Lets hope the money comes to support all the cycle ways in Newham. Its fine for male cycles at present because they can cycle faster than cars but for us who are not so fast we need to be in cycle lanes where cars cannot hit us.
       From Leytenstone to the Eagle Pub there is a green cycle track. Why is it not built up like a pavement then all of us would feel safe using it. As it is its a waste of money.
      I hope our Council does not waste money like that!
      Margaret

      .

      Find out how to make Messenger your very own TV! Try it Now!
    • Margaret Hamilton
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 4, 2008
        I have been cycling since I was a child and I am now 63 years old and I have just cycled to get my shopping today. But I love to cycle where there are no cars. Because some drivers are not even licenced to drive and therefore roads are not safe for cyclists. I have worked in A & E and I have seen first hand the outcome of bad driving. At Stratford we are able to share the pavement with pedestrians and thats what children should be able to do.
        Kind regards
        Margaret

        To: newham-cycling@yahoogroups.com
        From: annabagi@...
        Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 14:29:38 +0000
        Subject: RE: [newham-cycling] FW: Press release: Prime Minister announces cycling festival for Newham

[...]

         From Leytenstone to the Eagle Pub there is a green cycle track. Why is it not built up like a pavement then all of us would feel safe using it. As it is its a waste of money.
        I hope our Council does not waste money like that!
        Margaret

        .

        Find out how to make Messenger your very own TV! Try it Now!

        Get Hotmail on your Mobile! Try it Now!
      • Anna Bagi
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
          I agree that children and those who are scared to ride on the road should be allowed to ride on the pavement as long as they do that with due care and attention. Trouble is, some people on bikes behave towards people walking, like the way some people in cars behave towards people on bikes, i.e make the pavement scary and unsafe for walking.

          I think it is OK for People to use cycle lanes if they wish to as long as it is not imposed on the rest of us, who want to ride on the road in the traffic flow, a we consider ourselves traffic. I cannot stand cycle lanes or cycling on the pavement, and often refuse to, in which case I get agression from some drivers, who assume that I should use the facility. If I consider the cycle lane safe and useful, of course I use it, but more often than not I don't.

          Anna

          To: newham-cycling@yahoogroups.com
          From: margarethamilton58@...
          Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 15:18:17 +0000