Complementing Cycling With Chocolate Milk And Fags

  • The Black Knight
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hi Folks

      Recent research conducted in America showed that chocolate milk was
      better as a recovery drink than those expensive 'waters' that are
      available

      http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/technique-chocolate-milk-makes-you-faster-12108

      If you're one of those you like to read weighty research papers then
      the link below is for you

      http://www.indiana.edu/~hplab/research/Karp_et_al_IJSNEM_2006.pdf

      Can anyone recommend a brand of choclate milk that doesn't taste of
      powder which can be bought locally.

      As for fags continue reading the bike radar link.

      Keith - THW
    • Gerrylondon3
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
        The American version of milk chocolate is a laughable excuse for
        chocolate, so you might as well just mix up some cocoa and hot milk and
        sugar to taste and congratulate yourself for making something from
        scratch/original materials. Take it in a thermos flask. If you really
        want to have a cold version of chocolate milk, get some Ovaltine, or
        Milo. Hopefully those two still use real sugar, and not
        glucose/fructose syrup (derived from Corn Gluten) which is found in most
        cheap food produce and Instant Chocolate drink products.

        Performance athletes wouldn't need to concern themselves with
        ridiculous details such as their serotonin (from chocolate) and nicotine
        levels if their sports were not pyramid schemes supported by the
        commercial adulation of wannabes. If you were really born to be a
        performance athlete, you shouldn't need to bother with chocolate or
        nicotine.

        Why do we allow people to waste money on Sports Drinks, when tap water
        is just as good? All that waste of plastic bottling and the
        transportation, and then all that waste of time attempting to recycle it
        when it is so difficult to recycle.

        It'sa much better and adequate reason to cycle because it is your
        preferred form of transportation, and not because of any aspiration to
        become an emaciated or drugged-up endurance athlete.
      • well_at_work_newham
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2007
          Lucozade Sport has long been shown to be effective.....

          Nicholas, C.W., Williams, C.Lakomy, H.K.A., Phillips,G., Nowitz, A..
          Influence of ingesting a carbohydrate-electrolyte solution on
          endurance capacity during intermittent high-intensity shuttle
          running.
          Journal of Sports Sciences 1995; 13 : 283 - 290.

          Abstract
          This study examined the effects of consumption of an isotonic sports
          drink on endurance performance in a prolonged, intermittent, high
          intensity, shuttle running test which was designed to mimic activity
          pattern of a team sports situation like football. Nine recreational
          soccer players completed two exercise trials that were separated by
          at least seven days. In each trial subjects completed 75 minutes of
          exercise which was made up of five 15 minute periods of intermittent
          running (maximal sprinting, interspersed with less intense periods
          of running and walking) (Phase 1). This was followed by intermittent
          running to volitional exhaustion (Phase 2).

          Subjects consumed either an isotonic sports drink (6.9%
          carbohydrate), or a non carbohydrate water placebo, immediately
          prior to exercise (5 ml.kg-1 body weight) and every 15 minutes
          thereafter (2 ml.kg-1 body weight). The total volume of fluid
          consumed during each trial was 1167 ± 47 ml. Venous blood samples
          were taken at rest and at intervals during exercise in Phase 1, at
          the point of fatigue in Phase 2 and at intervals post exercise for
          biochemical analysis.

          At the end of the fixed 75 minutes period of intermittent exercise,
          subjects who consumed the isotonic sports drink were able to
          continue running significantly longer during Phase 2 (p<0.05) than
          when the water placebo was consumed (8.9 ±1.5 vs. 6.7 ± 1.0 minutes).

          No differences were observed between trials for blood lactate,
          plasma concentrations of FFA, glycerol, ammonia, serum
          concentrations of insulin, sodium and potassium, percent changes in
          plasma volume, rate of perceived exertion or heart rate. However,
          differences were found in post exercise values for free fatty acids
          at +30 (p<0.05) and +45 minutes (p<0.01); glycerol at +45 minutes
          (p<0.05) and insulin at +15 and +30 minutes (p<0.05). Blood glucose
          was higher in the sports drink trial than the placebo trial at 30
          minutes and at fatigue (p<0.05) and after exercise at +15, +30
          (p<0.01) and +45 minutes (p<0.05).

          These results demonstrate that when recreational games players drink
          an isotonic sports drink whilst exercising, fatigue is delayed, and
          they are able to run for 33% longer than they can when consuming a
          water placebo.

          --- In newham-cycling@yahoogroups.com, "The Black Knight"