Retracing my steps: Sylvester - Washburn connection

  • David Sylvester
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2002
      Retracing my steps: Sylvester - Washburn connection

      Vivian Daniel Sylvester born 20 November 1893 in Hartland,
      Somerset, Maine, son of Dummer Michael "Mike" Sylvester (Daniel 7,
      Calvin 6, Edmund 5, Zebulon 4, Zebulon [Silvester] 3, Israel 2,
      Richard 1) and Evelyn Lissie Cochran (Randall Nelson, Samuel). He
      died 24 October 1968.

      Evangeline Estelle "Pete" Washburn born 30 June 1895 in
      Norridgewock, Somerset, Maine, daughter of Edward Jones Washburn
      (Alden F 8, Hosea 7, Hosea 6, [weak link here] Stephen 5, Ephraim
      4, Joseph 3, John 2, John 1) and Alice Eldora Williams (Orrington L
      6, Thomas B 5, Nathaniel Hall 4, George 3, Samuel 2, Thomas 1). She
      died 16 October 1981 in Madison, Somerset, Maine.

      Married 22 June 1916 in Madison.

      Children:

      1. son born 18 February 1917, living, married. Five sons.

      2. son born 13 September 1918, deceased, married and divorced. One
      daughter.

      Vivian grew up in Carmel, Penobscot, Maine and as a teenager
      removed with his family to Belfast, Waldo, Maine and Searsport,
      Waldo, Maine. He was a farmer, a brick layer and a mill
      worker. Early he enjoyed photography and making violins and other
      crafts. Later he enjoyed painting with oils and he always loved
      fishing.

      Evangeline grew up in Madison and met Vivian in Searsport while on
      vacation there. While courting Vivian would ride his bicycle the
      70 miles of muddy roads to Madison to visit Evangeline. Evangeline
      was a very refined frail woman and a devoted homemaker. She
      enjoyed swimming, writing letters and spending time with her
      grandchildren.

      Vivian and Evangeline raised their family in Searsport and later
      removed to the Washburn family residence in Madison where they
      lived the remainder of their lives.

      Sources available on request. If anybody has anything to add,
      subtract, confirm or refute I'd like to hear what you've got.

      If you'd like to add this information to your database or share it
      with others feel free to do so and please cite the source. If you
      would like to publish this information in your web site, your own
      book, CD or other publication I would appreciate a note from you
      saying so. This data is not to be submitted to any person,
      organization or firm that in the business of collecting data to put
      on commercial CD's or commercial web sites for the purpose of
      selling it to their patrons.