344Bickford/Stevens

  • larbsr
    May 1, 2001
      I'm still trying to find more info on my 4th
      ggps, John Bickford & Amy Stevens, mar. 1 Nov 1809 at
      Kennebec, ME. John was s/o Benjamin Bickford & Lydia
      Stanton, b 1782 Goldsboro, ME. Amy was b ca 1785 in ME.
      She is said to be a d/o a Jonathan Stevens who served
      in the Revolution. Several people have posted this
      line, making Amy a d/o Jonathan Stevens & Eleanor
      Adams, but they mar. Oct 1785 & had a known child b
      1786. This doesn't fit w/ the info from the 1850 & 1860
      Censuses of Marion Co., OH, where John died in 1862 & Amy
      in 1870. The Census actually shows them b MA, but ME
      was part of MA in the 1780s. Another Jonathan Stevens
      mar. Bethular Littlefield 25 Oct 1769 in Wells, York,
      ME, but I can't make contact with the poster of the
      data. I don't have names for any siblings of Amy,
      though I do have a listing of her known children.
      Because John & Amy's household contained a Benjamin
      Bickford b ca 1847 & a Ruby Bickford b ca 1839, some
      researchers list them as children of the couple. Amy was too
      old to be their mother. They may have been
      grandchildren (though I have no data on a possible son) or
      niece & nephew. The Bickford surname is often spelled
      "Bigford" or "Brickford" in the records. On my gggmor's
      death certificate, her mother's maiden name appears as
      "Bicford." John & Amy moved to OH about 1815, & lived in
      several localities before settling in Marion Co. in 1831,
      a few months before their daughter Patience married
      my ggggf, Newton Messenger, there (11 Dec 1831).
      Does anyone else have additional info on this family?
    • Show all 383 messages in this topic