re-soaking and preparing a wooden barrel

  • sallypointer@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2001
      Hi eveyone,
      I've just taken delivery of a rather nice little 2 gallon oak barrel
      with a tap that had been used for storing fortified wine but hasn't
      been used for about 20 years. Its all in beautiful condition and
      smells clean, but obviously it leaks like a sieve at the moment.
      Apart from soaking it and sterilising it, what should I do to prepare
      it for use with spirits? I'm planning on using it to lay down
      some 'whisky'for a year or two.
      cheers
      sally