grape and pomagranate molasses

  • ranah2o
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 22, 2003
      I just went to the local market which caters to the Armenian
      community and they are carrying "Grape Molasses" and always carry
      pomagranate molasses. The grape molasses is a product of
      syria.I was wondering about a wash made from these. Any suggestions
      or comments? Thanks, Rana
    • waljaco
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 2003
        The juice is boiled down considerably so there might be a bit of
        caramelisation. In Greece they use dried currants to make alcohol.
        Cheaper I think?
        Wal
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ranah2o" <ranah2o@y...> wrote:
        > I just went to the local market which caters to the Armenian
        > community and they are carrying "Grape Molasses" and always carry
        > pomagranate molasses. The grape molasses is a product of
        > syria.I was wondering about a wash made from these. Any
        suggestions
        > or comments? Thanks, Rana
      • Rana Pipiens
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 22, 2003
          Wal. yes it was expensive ($4.99/ quart) But I thought it might be interesting to try. When you mention the carmelization were you thinkin that it might effect the fermentation? I'm wondering if it could be used to make a sort of grape rum or would it just be a brandy? Rana

          waljaco <waljaco@...> wrote:The juice is boiled down considerably so there might be a bit of
          caramelisation. In Greece they use dried currants to make alcohol.
          Cheaper I think?
          Wal
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ranah2o" <ranah2o@y...> wrote:
          > I just went to the local market which caters to the Armenian
          > community and they are carrying "Grape Molasses" and always carry
          > pomagranate molasses. The grape molasses is a product of
          > syria.I was wondering about a wash made from these. Any
          suggestions
          > or comments? Thanks, Rana

          ttp://archive.nnytech.net/

        • waljaco
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 22, 2003
            Caramelization might effect the flavor slightly. It is basically
            grape juice boiled down to a syrup - diluting it you sort of are
            reconstituting grape juice, therefore you will get a raw brandy. The
            grape molasses is not a by-product of a sugar crystallisation like
            for sugarcane juice. It would be similar to first stage sugarcane
            molasses but definitely not 3rd stage or blackstrap molasses.
            Wal
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranah2o@y...>
            wrote:
            > Wal. yes it was expensive ($4.99/ quart) But I thought it might be
            interesting to try. When you mention the carmelization were you
            thinkin that it might effect the fermentation? I'm wondering if it
            could be used to make a sort of grape rum or would it just be a
            brandy? Rana

            > waljaco <waljaco@h...> wrote:The juice is boiled down considerably
            so there might be a bit of
            > caramelisation. In Greece they use dried currants to make alcohol.
            > Cheaper I think?
            > Wal
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ranah2o" <ranah2o@y...>
            wrote:
            > > I just went to the local market which caters to the Armenian
            > > community and they are carrying "Grape Molasses" and always carry
            > > pomagranate molasses. The grape molasses is a product of
            > > syria.I was wondering about a wash made from these. Any
            > suggestions
            > > or comments? Thanks, Rana

            > ttp://archive.nnytech.net/

            Service.

          • Rana Pipiens
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 22, 2003
              Thanks Wal. I'll give it a try and, if all goes well, I'll post on the results. Rana

              waljaco <waljaco@...> wrote:Caramelization might effect the flavor slightly. It is basically
              wrote:
              > Wal. yes it was expensive ($4.99/ quart) But I thought it might be
              interesting to try. When you mention the carmelization were you
              thinkin that it might effect the fermentation? I'm wondering if it
              could be used to make a sort of grape rum or would it just be a
              brandy? Rana

              > waljaco <waljaco@h...> wrote:The juice is boiled down considerably
              so there might be a bit of
              > caramelisation. In Greece they use dried currants to make alcohol.
              > Cheaper I think?
              > Wal
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ranah2o" <ranah2o@y...>
              wrote:
              > > I just went to the local market which caters to the Armenian
              > > community and they are carrying "Grape Molasses" and always carry
              > > pomagranate molasses. The grape molasses is a product of
              > > syria.I was wondering about a wash made from these. Any
              > suggestions
              > > or comments? Thanks, Rana

              > ttp://archive.nnytech.net/

              Service.