New member

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 22, 2003
      Just joined. I've been brewing for 11 years (beer, wine, mead) and
      would like to try my hand at a still.

      Where's a good (and cheap) place to get a decent still? Basic
      process, times, temps, etc.

      Any info would be appreciated and useful.
    • Rutger
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 22, 2003

        If you are located in the netherlands: i got one for sale. 60l, with helmet
        and short column. Old dutch style potstill for making jenever.

        Rutger
      • Mark
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 22, 2003
          Sorry, no. I'm here in sunny Los Angeles.

          > > Just joined. I've been brewing for 11 years (beer, wine, mead) and
          > > would like to try my hand at a still.
          > >
          > > Where's a good (and cheap) place to get a decent still? Basic
          > > process, times, temps, etc.
          > >
          > > Any info would be appreciated and useful.
          >
          > If you are located in the netherlands: i got one for sale. 60l,
          with helmet
          > and short column. Old dutch style potstill for making jenever.
          >
          > Rutger
        • stronkus2003
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 23, 2003
            Hi and welcome,

            The best still to get is probably the oce You build Yourself, try
            http://www.homedistiller.org or look around here in the files and
            photos sections.

            Good Luck

            Stronk

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <brewmaster411@y...>
            wrote:
            > Just joined. I've been brewing for 11 years (beer, wine, mead) and
            > would like to try my hand at a still.
            >
            > Where's a good (and cheap) place to get a decent still? Basic
            > process, times, temps, etc.
            >
            > Any info would be appreciated and useful.
          • ray_goering
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 30, 2003
              Mark,
              I too am new at this. If you don't have the mechanical skill (like
              I) a good still can be purchased in the US.
              I got mine through F.H. Stienbarts in Portland, OR. It was $300
              for the boiling pot and condenser, but what your paying for is the
              condenser. You can put the reflux condenser on up to a 5gal (25L)
              pot, so its a good investment.
              One word of advice. Distilling is still illegal here in the U.S.,
              so the people at Stienbarts want to help you but you gotta know the
              lingo. When you call (get the # off the net) ask about ordering
              the "Essential Oil Extractor". They'll know what you're talking
              about. Its kinda like the bongs that say "for tobacco use only".

              Good Luck,
              Ray

              wrote:
              > Just joined. I've been brewing for 11 years (beer, wine, mead) and
              > would like to try my hand at a still.
              >
              > Where's a good (and cheap) place to get a decent still? Basic
              > process, times, temps, etc.
              >
              > Any info would be appreciated and useful.
            • CornFed (Randy)
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 30, 2003
                http://www.atf.gov/faqs.htm look under alcohol faq's It says that
                any purchase of a still larger than one gallon has to be reported to
                the government. While it is not likely that you will have a knock
                on your door, it is not out of the realm of possibilities.

                yes, distilling essential oils is allowed by law, but calling the
                device by another name doesnt change the fact that is is a
                distillation appliance. Use your own judgement about what you say to
                who.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ray_goering" <rgoering@m...>
                wrote:
                > Mark,
                > I too am new at this. If you don't have the mechanical skill
                (like
                > I) a good still can be purchased in the US.
                > I got mine through F.H. Stienbarts in Portland, OR. It was $300
                > for the boiling pot and condenser, but what your paying for is the
                > condenser. You can put the reflux condenser on up to a 5gal (25L)
                > pot, so its a good investment.
                > One word of advice. Distilling is still illegal here in the
                U.S.,
                > so the people at Stienbarts want to help you but you gotta know the
                > lingo. When you call (get the # off the net) ask about ordering
                > the "Essential Oil Extractor". They'll know what you're talking
                > about. Its kinda like the bongs that say "for tobacco use only".
                >
                > Good Luck,
                > Ray
                >
                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <brewmaster411@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > Just joined. I've been brewing for 11 years (beer, wine, mead)
                and
                > > would like to try my hand at a still.
                > >
                > > Where's a good (and cheap) place to get a decent still? Basic
                > > process, times, temps, etc.
                > >
                > > Any info would be appreciated and useful.
              • cheeperdrunk
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 30, 2003
                  correct me if i am wrong but the term "Essential Oil Extractor" means
                  a pot still not a refluxer. 1st. you need to decide if you want a pot
                  still for flavor or a reflux unit for purity...

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "CornFed (Randy)"

                • ChrisMcFarland69@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 30, 2003
                    You can also look at homebrewheaven.com and brewhaus.com for stills. I also
                    started with the Essential Oil Extractor. It is a great way to get started.
                    I think you are better off using stainless steel pot scrubbers instead of the
                    rasching rings they provide. You can also insulate the column and purchase
                    braided clear hoses to replace the very flexible clear hoses that accomidate the
                    package. I found that my hoses would kink and cause less water flow through
                    the condencer. If you think you need a larger pot you can always cut the one
                    that comes with the extractor in half so that you still have the sealed
                    connection to the column. Then purchase a 15 gal stainless brew pot, modify it with
                    a few cuts and some welding, and begin cooking 50L+ batches. If you find a
                    leak or two JB Weld works wonders. Good Luck! Chris

                  • ChrisMcFarland69@cs.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 30, 2003
                      I use my Essential Oil Extractor as a Reflux, but I think it can be a pot
                      still depending on how you set it up. The directions explain to you how to set
                      it up for what you want.

                    • doctorlawrencebrown
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 8, 2008
                        Hi,
                        I sent a message already to the group, but somehow I managed to send it
                        before I finished it!
                        so I thought I might introduce myself.
                        I have been making wine and beer for a while now, and am interested in
                        making my own spirits, I am about to move to a country where it is
                        legal. and I have loads of questions...
                        I would prefer to build my own equipment, and have already started to
                        collect most of the components. I am having a little trouble getting
                        some things though because of the price! eg a simple 54mm tee was
                        quoted at £87+tax
                        I am currently reading through past posts, but if anyone can tell me a
                        good book to read, or indeed any ebooks to download, I would appreciate
                        it.

                        Regards
                      • castillo.alex2008
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 8, 2008
                          Hi Lawrence(or should we call you doctor, lol)

                          Welcome,

                          A good place to begin undoubtedly is:

                          http://homedistiller.org by Tony Ackland

                          We have very knowledgeable people around,i.e. Harry Jackson (forum
                          owner)and his alter-ego (lol) Jim, the group moderator.

                          Good luck and enjoy

                          Alex

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "doctorlawrencebrown"
                          <doctorlawrencebrown@...> wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          > I sent a message already to the group, but somehow I managed to
                          send it
                          > before I finished it!
                          > so I thought I might introduce myself.
                          > I have been making wine and beer for a while now, and am interested
                          in
                          > making my own spirits, I am about to move to a country where it is
                          > legal. and I have loads of questions...
                          > I would prefer to build my own equipment, and have already started
                          > collect most of the components. I am having a little trouble
                          getting
                          > some things though because of the price! eg a simple 54mm tee was
                          > quoted at £87+tax
                          > I am currently reading through past posts, but if anyone can tell
                          me a
                          > good book to read, or indeed any ebooks to download, I would
                          appreciate
                          > it.
                          >
                          > Regards

                        • KM Services
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 8, 2008

                            Welcome Doc,

                            Jim our Co-Moderator has put together a very detailed links section, which are resources from distiller site plus many others; have a browse and start asking questions on the group there are many people here who have been doing this for some time also many of us have files and pictures to view on the group site…have fun and as there is a lot to this hobby and if you try to learn it all at once it make your head hurt. Treat this hobby like a ladder and take it one rung at a time

                            Cheers

                            Ken Mc

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 8, 2008
                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "doctorlawrencebrown"
                              <doctorlawrencebrown@...> wrote:

                              > Hi,
                              > I sent a message already to the group, but somehow I managed to
                              send it
                              > before I finished it!
                              > so I thought I might introduce myself.
                              > I have been making wine and beer for a while now, and am interested
                              in
                              > making my own spirits, I am about to move to a country where it is
                              > legal. and I have loads of questions...
                              > I would prefer to build my own equipment, and have already started
                              > collect most of the components. I am having a little trouble
                              getting
                              > some things though because of the price! eg a simple 54mm tee was
                              > quoted at £87+tax
                              > I am currently reading through past posts, but if anyone can tell
                              me a
                              > good book to read, or indeed any ebooks to download, I would
                              appreciate
                              > it.
                              >
                              > Regards

                              Welcome Doc,

                              Your experience with fermentations will stand you in good stead in
                              this hobby. Distilling is a bit more forgiving of errors in the
                              beer/wine you make for a stillcharge. You DON'T use hops. You DON'T
                              need to boil the wort. We're only after the ethanol (and a little of
                              the esters/congeners). Of course there's more to it than that as you
                              get more into it, but that's the basics.

                              Be aware you can easily suffer from information overload due to the
                              vast amount of resources we have. Jim's links (left of screen on the
                              yahoo website) are very useful to beginners. Tony Ackland's
                              http://homedistiller.org is the bible for this hobby. My own Library
                              (http://distillers.tastylime.net/library ) is very useful for
                              researching spirits making and other aspects of the hobby.

                              A couple of observations, if I may...
                              I assume you are currently based in the UK. It would be far better
                              to wait until you have moved to your legal country before you build
                              your still. Customs & emigration will take a dim view of your
                              equipment, and I think you'll find parts easier to locate (and
                              cheaper) in a legal country. However, your stated price for a Tee-
                              piece is outrageous! If all else fails, fabricate your own from a
                              cutoff of tubing and silver-solder it. Any muffler shop will be able
                              to flare the tube openings enough to form the slip-joints, at little
                              or no cost. :)

                              Stay safe & have fun.

                              Groups Owner
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 10, 2008

                                Alex,

                                I consider Harry as my mentor lol, not an alter-ego lol.  If I could learn 1/10th of his knowledge after all his years of experience in this hobby, Id consider myself sucessful.  But thanks.

                                And yes, Welcome Aboard Dr. Brown, as stated before we have a wealth of knowledge on both this site, and Advanced Distillers and Tony's site,  along with the plethora of experience from our other members,  expecially Riku, another Co-Moderator, who has written many books on advanced still making (you should check out his free E-book  "Building a Low Cost Still":  http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Simple_Low_cost_Stills/index.htm  He has also written a new book "Designing and Building Automatic Stills" : http://www.amphora-society.com/automatic_stills.html

                                Between Riku and our other Co-Moderator, Trid - Tinker Extrodinaire (you should see his Gatlin' Gun Condenser design sometime), Sherman, our fermentation specialist, Wal, our Resident Historian and Research Specialist, Harry, the Owner -  along with all the other MKOs (Most Knowledgable Ones) from Advanced Distillers, Im sure any question you ask can be answered (in more ways then one usually :):).

                                As far as paying 87 pounds for a simple T connector that is totally absurd.  A 54mm (2 1/8 inch - I assume OD your talking about) is a standard plumbing size, at least here in the US it is.  A 1 1/2 inch T only runs about 7 dollars US here.  I would continue to check out the plumbing supply shops around and even get in touch with some local plumbers around where you live.

                                Again Welcome, and please feel free to ask questions and research our resources.

                                Vino es Veritas,

                                Jim.

                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "castillo.alex2008" <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Lawrence(or should we call you doctor, lol)
                                >
                                > Welcome,
                                >

                                > A good place to begin undoubtedly is:
                                >
                                > http://homedistiller.org by Tony Ackland
                                >
                                > We have very knowledgeable people around,i.e. Harry Jackson (forum
                                > owner)and his alter-ego (lol) Jim, the group moderator.
                                >
                                > Good luck and enjoy
                                >
                                > Alex
                                >
                                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "doctorlawrencebrown"
                                > doctorlawrencebrown@ wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi,
                                > > I sent a message already to the group, but somehow I managed to
                                > send it
                                > > before I finished it!
                                > > so I thought I might introduce myself.
                                > > I have been making wine and beer for a while now, and am interested
                                > in
                                > > making my own spirits, I am about to move to a country where it is
                                > > legal. and I have loads of questions...
                                > > I would prefer to build my own equipment, and have already started
                                > > collect most of the components. I am having a little trouble
                                > getting
                                > > some things though because of the price! eg a simple 54mm tee was
                                > > quoted at £87+tax
                                > > I am currently reading through past posts, but if anyone can tell
                                > me a
                                > > good book to read, or indeed any ebooks to download, I would
                                > appreciate
                                > > it.
                                > >
                                > > Regards

                              • JLM
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 6, 2013

                                  Thank you for allowing me to join the forum

                                • hillbilly
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 8, 2013
                                    hillbillystills.com is an excellent place to check out