New Member

  • Juanmorcheesy@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 21, 2001
      > Hi all, just joined
      Have read a little of the info on the web...

      > in the process of designing 30l reflux still
      with Nixon/Stone condensor

      > Would appreciate any info or addresses on this type
      of condenser

      > Any and all help appreciated....

      juan
    • grimblewiz
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 19, 2002
        Hi all,

        Am just getting started with a valved reflux still (half Built).
        Bound to have lots of questions soon. Will ask as they come up.
        Thanking you for your future time.

        Grimblewiz,
      • Dr. M. Legendre
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 19, 2002
          Hello,

          On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:40:23 -0000
          "grimblewiz" <roy.shrubsole@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > Am just getting started with a valved reflux still (half Built).
          > Bound to have lots of questions soon. Will ask as they come up.
          > Thanking you for your future time.

          Is this the valved reflux design given at http://www.moonshine-still.com?
          If so, I just built one of these myself, but have yet to run it. Look a
          couple days back in the list archive for my post, it has several photos
          included. I didn't have a milk can, but I did have an old fire
          extinguisher.. if the design works well, the top of the extinguisher will
          get grafted to an 8 or 16gal keg.

          Let me know if you run into difficulty with construction; the plans are
          very vague and contradict themselves several times.

          -- Dr. Legendre
        • merlyn2uk
          Message 4 of 21 , May 9, 2002
            Hello everyone,

            I have just joined and hope to learn a lot from you all. I have built
            a still from some plans I found on a Kiwi site. Now all I need to do
            is learn how to run it. I know next to nothing about distilling
            except that in most countries it's illegal including here. Still (no
            pun intended)thats life. Hope to hear from you all in due course.

            Merlyn2uk
          • grimblewiz
            Message 5 of 21 , May 9, 2002
              Hi merlyn2uk

              Welcome, catch u later

              Grimblewiz

              -- In new_distillers@y..., "merlyn2uk" <p.merlyn@b...> wrote:
              > Hello everyone,
              >
              > I have just joined and hope to learn a lot from you all. I have
              built
              > a still from some plans I found on a Kiwi site. Now all I need to
              do
              > is learn how to run it. I know next to nothing about distilling
              > except that in most countries it's illegal including here. Still
              (no
              > pun intended)thats life. Hope to hear from you all in due course.
              >

              > Merlyn2uk
            • pactumuk
              Message 6 of 21 , May 9, 2002
                Hi Merlyn2uk

                Welcome.
                I joined today too....... and am in the process of rebuilding my
                still after looking at the very professional outfits on the Kiwi
                sites.
                We could perhaps swap notes sometime

                pactum uk

              • ssadams100 <ssadams100@yahoo.ca>
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 19, 2003
                  Hi all

                  Im new to this hobby in a way, and thought I'd say hellow. I thought I
                  would have a bunch of questions, but after spending the last 5 days
                  reading 90% of the posts from way back, im flooded with info. Now my
                  only problem is wether i go for a homade imersion boiler,coffee urn or
                  a basic pot and stove/hot plate. Im leaning pot/plate as i can get a
                  240 volt 4000/1000 dual restuarant grade unit for 1/3 the ca$700
                  retail price. Great group and I realy liked seeing how other noobs
                  progressed heaps over the months with help from this forum.
                • Dene Oehme <waterline@ozemail.com.au>
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 19, 2003
                    > Im leaning pot/plate as i can get a
                    > 240 volt 4000/1000 dual restuarant grade unit for 1/3 the ca$700
                    > retail price.

                    I've been using a modified frypan which I'm becoming dissatisfied
                    with. Where does one get one of these units you are talking about?
                    Sounds like an ideal way to go for me.

                    Regards

                    Dene
                  • BOKAKOB
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 19, 2003

                      Welcome !

                       "ssadams100 <ssadams100@...>" <ssadams100@...> wrote:

                      Hi all

                      Im new to this hobby in a way, and thought I'd say hellow. I thought I
                      would have a bunch of questions, but after spending the last 5 days
                      reading 90% of the posts from way back, im flooded with info. Now my
                      only problem is wether i go for a homade imersion boiler,coffee urn or
                      a basic pot and stove/hot plate. Im leaning pot/plate as i can get a
                      240 volt 4000/1000 dual restuarant grade unit for 1/3 the ca$700
                      retail price. Great group and I realy liked seeing how other noobs
                      progressed heaps over the months with help from this forum.

                      I can be wrong I must say.
                      Cheers, Alex...

                      Do you Yahoo!?

                    • ssadams100 <ssadams100@yahoo.ca>
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 21, 2003
                        I just searched my local Yellow Pages for Resturant Supplies for new and used equipemnt. They are nice and heavy duty and have the power to get things moving, with the option to slow it down to a nice steady pace. For the price I hope the contols produce a fairly constant heat.

                        Scott

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dene Oehme <waterline@o...>" <waterline@o...> wrote:

                        > I've been using a modified frypan which I'm becoming dissatisfied
                        > with. Where does one get one of these units you are talking about?
                        > Sounds like an ideal way to go for me.
                        >
                        > Regards
                        >
                        > Dene
                      • Jack Flash
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 14, 2003
                          Well I saw a GREAT show on Moonshine on the discovery channel the other night.  It lit my fire.  I've been wanting to do this all my life and so now, finally, I'm gonna do it.  I'm about half way through http://www.moonshine-still.com/  for the first.  I've ordered "Home Distillation Handbook", and I'm getting ready to start building.

                          I can't believe it has taken me so long to make the jump to moon light speed.

                          Curt
                        • bcsolitarydrinker
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 26, 2003
                            Mornin' all. I have been brewing my own wine and beer for quite some
                            time already, with great success. So when I picked 50 lbs of plums
                            earlier this week I decided to do something more with them - distill
                            them into some hi-test.

                            As I write this, they are happily bubbling away in my primary.
                            Tomorrow I am going out to scour the thrifts to find a stainless
                            pressure cooker, but I think I might have to settle for aluminum. So
                            this is a warning that there is about to be a deluge of newbie
                            questions from yours truly.

                            I've spent a LOT of time on the homedistiller.org website (that's
                            where I found out about this group in fact) and will be using one of
                            the pot stills there as a model to build mine.

                            Happy libations. Sol.
                          • Tony & Darlene
                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 21, 2003
                              I just joined today. Looks like a great group. Please allow me to post and send messages.
                              Thanks,
                              NitroCad
                              (Tony)

                            • BOKAKOB
                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 21, 2003
                                Of course, you are welcome and please do post the messages. Make sure that your messages do carry some useful information in them ;-)
                                Please, check out the distillers bible here: http://homedistiller.org prior to asking questions.

                                Tony & Darlene <lvnhra@...> wrote:
                                I just joined today. Looks like a great group. Please allow me to post and send messages. Thanks, NitroCad (Tony)

                                I can be wrong I must say
                                Cheers, Alex...

                              • Peter Paddon
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 23, 2004
                                  I guess I qualify as a new distiller - I distilled my first batch
                                  last night :o)

                                  I bought an old pressure cooker from eBay - 16Qt - and made a
                                  condenser from copper pipe. Mt specific interest is in making
                                  authentic absinthe, so I bought eight liters of white wine for my
                                  first attempt... cheap stuff, though I plan to brew my own later.

                                  Imagine my pleasure an hour and a hal;f after firing up the still, to
                                  have around 1.5 liters of clear liquid that still has a pleasant
                                  grapy undertone, but tastes like it is around the strength of the
                                  vodka available at the supermarket (which, being California, is 40%).
                                  Of course, that isn't the end of the story; I next macerate the herbs
                                  in the alcohol for a week or so, then filter and distill again.

                                  I also plan to make some other herbal cordials that are not easily
                                  available, such as damiana.

                                  I have a feeling I'm going to really enjoy this new hobby :o) I'm
                                  probably going to try some essential oil extractions too...

                                  Peter
                                • Tile Man
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 21, 2009
                                    I am new to "Groups" and to distilling.  But, I want to learn both.

                                    Old Tile Man

                                  • KM Services
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 21, 2009

                                      Welcome “Old Tile Man” click on the links below my signature and have a read and come back with any questions

                                      Ken Mc

                                      Moderator :  Y! new_distillers    Y! Distillers

                                      Forums Info:  FAQ    Policy    Settings

                                      I am new to "Groups" and to distilling.  But, I want to learn both.

                                      Old Tile Man

                                    • Chris
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 16, 2011

                                        Hi There looking forward to learn about distilling

                                        Thanks

                                        Chris

                                      • JD
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 16, 2011
                                          Welcome.

                                          there is tons off info here . ( im still learning ;) )
                                        • Adam Fordham
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 16, 2011

                                            Welcome to the group.

                                            Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 1, 2011
                                              Hi Guys and Gals,

                                              Just joined the group earlier this week and love the site. Lots of info to absorb here.

                                              Im a neutral spirit type of guy, but have played around with a few malted wheat fermentations. I have only had my still for about a year now so I would definitely fall into the novice category. I have a 60 gallon stainless pot with a 3 inch by 4 foot packed column with a shell and tube heat exchanger for condensing. Can be set up for reflux or strip (packing removed).

                                              Thanks for all of the great information and will be visiting often.

                                              Mike