First timer/first question/Roy Dudley

  • Roy Dudley
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 9, 2003
      Hello Everyone,

      Roy Dudley here. We are intersted in establishing a small boutique
      distillery in the San Francisco Bay Area with an eye to producing
      premium flavored vodkas, gin etc., initially in very small batches to be
      sold to specialty outlets, restaurants etc.

      Has anyone engaged the permits and licensing process before?

      Where would an established, California Corporation start the process and
      how difficult is it to get a "pilot" license to manufacture very small
      quantities of product (less than a few hundred gallons per month) to
      determine market acceptance etc.

      Is anyone interested in joining such a venture in the San Francisco,
      Pacifica, Half Moon Bay coastside area?

      That's it for now -- hope to hear from the group!

      Regards,

      Roy M. Dudley
      www.rmdudley.com

    • CornFed (Randy)
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2003
        http://www.atf.gov/alcohol/info/faq/newfaqbackup.htm this is the
        ATF's faq webpage. You should also check with your local state
        webpage for licenses or requirements.
        http://www.webstart.com/ca/government.html I am sure your local city
        or county (probably both) will want to have a tax portion off of your
        work too. They probably want to tell you what tax, insurance and
        fire code requirements they want you to meet.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Roy Dudley <rdudley@p...>
        wrote:
        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > Roy Dudley here. We are intersted in establishing a small boutique
        > distillery in the San Francisco Bay Area with an eye to producing
        > premium flavored vodkas, gin etc., initially in very small batches
        to be
        > sold to specialty outlets, restaurants etc.
        >
        > Has anyone engaged the permits and licensing process before?
        >
        > Where would an established, California Corporation start the
        process and
        > how difficult is it to get a "pilot" license to manufacture very
        small
        > quantities of product (less than a few hundred gallons per month) to
        > determine market acceptance etc.
        >
        > Is anyone interested in joining such a venture in the San Francisco,
        > Pacifica, Half Moon Bay coastside area?
        >
        > That's it for now -- hope to hear from the group!
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Roy M. Dudley
        > www.rmdudley.com

      • roy-dudley
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 10, 2003
          Thanks Randy -- I appreciate the response. I've visited the links and was able to locate the local BATF offices in San Francisco who
          provided a package of permit applications and other paperwork.

          I suspect this is going to be "a process...not an event" so we're settling in for the duration. I'm curious if any of the group members
          has successfully established a licensed, legal "micro distillery" in their location?

          We have the time, money, manpower and desire but in all candor we're at the point where we "Don't know what we don't know".

          Well -- we press on. If anyone has gone the distance on this, I'd really like to connect with them.

          Thanks everyone for responding.

          Regards,

          Roy Dudley

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 10, 2003
            wrote:
            > Thanks Randy -- I appreciate the response. I've visited the links
            and was able to locate the local BATF offices in San Francisco who
            > provided a package of permit applications and other paperwork.
            >
            > I suspect this is going to be "a process...not an event" so we're
            settling in for the duration. I'm curious if any of the group
            members
            > has successfully established a licensed, legal "micro distillery"
            in their location?

            > We have the time, money, manpower and desire but in all candor
            we're at the point where we "Don't know what we don't know".

            > Well -- we press on. If anyone has gone the distance on this,
            I'd really like to connect with them.

            > Thanks everyone for responding.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Roy Dudley

            Hi Roy,
            These links are to American micro's who have 'gone the distance',
            some of 'em quite recently. Maybe you can hook up with some of the
            personnel. Hope this helps.

            Anchor / Old Potrero http://www.anchorbrewing.com

            St George http://www.stgeorgespirits.com

            Clear Creek / McCarthys http://www.clearcreekdistillery.com

            St James / Peregrine Rock http://www.saintjamesspirits.com

            Edgefield / Hogshead http://www.mcmenamins.com/Edge/

            Charbay http://www.charbay.com

            Local Color http://www.localcolor.com

            Triple Eight / Notch http://www.ciscobrewers.com/whiskey.html

            Germain-Robin http://www.germain-robin.com
          • Roy Dudley
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 10, 2003
              Hi Harry,

              Roy Dudley here. I really appreciate your thoughtful reply -- it
              really makes a difference to know there are kindred spirits out there!

              A couple of these are right in San Francisco so, assuming they're
              supportive of another group taking a shot at it, we should be able to
              connect pretty easily.

              Thanks again for your help...once we get our feet under us, we'll stay
              in touch.

              Regards,

              Roy Dudley

              Harry wrote:

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "roy-dudley" <rdudley@p...>
              > wrote:
              > > Thanks Randy -- I appreciate the response. I've visited the links
              > and was able to locate the local BATF offices in San Francisco who
              > > provided a package of permit applications and other paperwork.
              > >
              > > I suspect this is going to be "a process...not an event" so we're
              > settling in for the duration. I'm curious if any of the group
              > members
              > > has successfully established a licensed, legal "micro distillery"
              > in their location?
              > >
              > > We have the time, money, manpower and desire but in all candor
              > we're at the point where we "Don't know what we don't know".
              > >
              > > Well -- we press on. If anyone has gone the distance on this,
              > I'd really like to connect with them.
              > >
              > > Thanks everyone for responding.
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > >
              > > Roy Dudley
              >

              > Hi Roy,
              > These links are to American micro's who have 'gone the distance',
              > some of 'em quite recently. Maybe you can hook up with some of the
              > personnel. Hope this helps.
              >
              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry
              >
              > Anchor / Old Potrero http://www.anchorbrewing.com