Partially blind leading the completely sightless

  • Lynne
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 18, 2001
      I've just had a call from a friend whose son has been turning out the most
      awful product from his (commercial - breed unknown at this stage) still for
      about a year now - so bad in fact that I think he's only done 4-5 runs, and
      was so disillusioned with the results hasn't done one since I first started
      distilling about 6 mths ago. I asked him what temp. he was distilling at
      and he just said "pretty high", so assuming he was doing all the right
      things with the wash, steered him in the right direction on temp. While
      I'm far from an expert, I'm pretty happy with the results I get, so offered
      to 'supervise' the next batch they did. I also suggested that in the
      meantime they read the instructions that came with the still, together with
      Tony's website ...

      Today dad and son decided that real men didn't need help from a female, and
      started running a wash which they put down 7 days ago.
      Them: "We've got the temp. up to 80C and holding it there, but the result
      still smells like perfume."
      Me: "How long did you leave the wash to settle for?"
      Them: "Eh? What do you mean, 'settle'?"

      Is there any point in rescuing the wash and running it again once it's
      settled, or would they be better off just using it for fertiliser and
      starting over again?

      Cheers,
      Lynne
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 19, 2001
        Lynne,

        > awful product from his (commercial - breed unknown at this stage) still

        That might be a wee source of angst as well - some of them are far too
        short, and will never deliver a satisfying product. The best they'll hope
        for may be around 75% purity, which will still need a hefty dose of carbon
        treatment to clean it up.

        > Is there any point in rescuing the wash and running it again once it's
        > settled,

        Probably not - will all the splashing, and high temperatures, and fun,
        you've a pretty good risk of it going off. I had one run where I broke the
        thermometer, so I kept it in the still for 3 days until i got a new
        thermometer. It wasn't quite vinegar, but something bad had happened to
        it.

        They could always keep the spirit, add a bit of clean water to it to bring
        the volume up enough to redistill, and try again.

        Tony