Re: Vapor management versus reflux control Q for Riku

  • vojeto
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 4, 2003
      > With a long side arm condenser you would have to close the valve a
      little bit more than with a short arm, but once set you can leave it
      like that and know that the reflux ratio will not change throughout
      the main run, even if the boiler power changes a bit.

      I'm in the planning /gathering stages for building my first still,
      and am looking at a combination VM/offset LM rig. What would
      constitute a suitable sidearm condensor (I'm assuming a Liebig
      condensor)? One plan says 18". Would a 10mm core and 25mm jacket be
      adequate? Would a condensor this size also handle the cooling for a
      pot still with, say, a 1400W heater? I'm trying to plan the rig to
      be as multi-use as possible.

      Cheers
      JRae
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 9, 2003
        Shane Kirkman wrote:
        Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: [Distillers] Vapor management versus
        reflux control

        So would a cup or 2 of boiling water tipped down the condenser tube after
        the heads are removed help remove the tainting?
        ===============
        Hi Shane,

        It might, although you usually need to give components a good scrubbing with
        detergent, or soak in some active cleanser, to really shift those
        contaminants.

        Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. What we are talking about here is a
        tiny amount of additional purification which is probably only worth
        bothering about if you are after ultra pure ethanol for use with scents or
        essences. In that case it is then probably better to go the 'dedicated
        path' way and try to keep as much of the heads away from your main product
        collection path.

        Just shows how far we have all come on this list (which was supposed to be
        for newbies!) that we are now discussing removal of trace compounds! Just a
        couple of years ago it was "what the hell is distillation?" :-)

        Cheers!
        Mike N