Re: Stripping ethanol from whiskeys

  • Tarvus
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 15, 2001
      --- In new_distillers@y..., zman102_98203@y... wrote:
      > Hello all,
      > Does anyone have experience with stripping the alcohol out of
      > commerically available whiskey? A friend hase given me about five
      > litres of whiskey,and all I want out of it is the ethanol (so I can
      > make another type of liqeuer). I have had great luck in using my
      > Desti-lab to strip commercial vodka of its alcohol, but was
      wondering
      > if it is worthwhile to attempt this with whiskey, tequila, etc.
      > Great forum here!
      > Thanks,
      > zman102

      With a good reflux still, you can strip ethanol out of virtually
      anything containing it. Last new years eve we hosted a party and
      wound up with a variety of leftover beer, wine, and liquor. I dumped
      it all into my boiler and using my home made Stillmaster type reflux
      still, wound up with ethanol virtually indistinguishable from my
      usual product. One major difference that really surprised me was the
      amount of methanol that I first separated out of that commercial
      stuff. FAR more from maybe 12 liters of swill than I normally get
      from 60 liters of my own sugar wash. Proof of why some of that
      commercial stuff gives such deadly hangovers!

      best regards,
      Tar