Re: [new_distillers] Re: [Distillers] Vapor management versus reflux control

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 2, 2003
      BOKAKOB wrote:
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: [Distillers] Vapor management versus
      reflux control

      No prob older bro - making you turn adds excitement in this life ;-) However
      your "NOs" contradict the earlier writings. Variety is a spice of life...
      =================
      Nice to know that I have added a little to the richness of your life's
      tapestry Alex :-)
      Please read what I wrote again ... carefully. My "NOs" were directed at
      your interpretation of what I had written.

      All the best,
      Mike N
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 9, 2003
        Shane Kirkman wrote:
        reflux control

        So would a cup or 2 of boiling water tipped down the condenser tube after
        the heads are removed help remove the tainting?
        ===============
        Hi Shane,

        It might, although you usually need to give components a good scrubbing with
        detergent, or soak in some active cleanser, to really shift those
        contaminants.

        Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. What we are talking about here is a
        tiny amount of additional purification which is probably only worth
        bothering about if you are after ultra pure ethanol for use with scents or
        essences. In that case it is then probably better to go the 'dedicated
        path' way and try to keep as much of the heads away from your main product
        collection path.

        Just shows how far we have all come on this list (which was supposed to be
        for newbies!) that we are now discussing removal of trace compounds! Just a
        couple of years ago it was "what the hell is distillation?" :-)

        Cheers!
        Mike N