Re: [Distillers] Vapor management versus reflux control

  • mr_ethanol2003
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 2, 2003
      Hi Alex,

      Thanks for the reply,

      Sound like most of the bad stuff is water soluble.

      I guess the term fusel 'oil' made me think that components of the
      congeners would not be water soluble.

      Cheers,

      Andy.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BOKAKOB <bokakob@y...> wrote:
      > I usually just flush the column at the end with hot water back and
      forth and leave it open on both ends in vertical orientation. By the
      next distillation it is pretty much clean.
      <SNIP>
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 9, 2003
        Shane Kirkman wrote:
        Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: [Distillers] Vapor management versus
        reflux control

        So would a cup or 2 of boiling water tipped down the condenser tube after
        the heads are removed help remove the tainting?
        ===============
        Hi Shane,

        It might, although you usually need to give components a good scrubbing with
        detergent, or soak in some active cleanser, to really shift those
        contaminants.

        Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. What we are talking about here is a
        tiny amount of additional purification which is probably only worth
        bothering about if you are after ultra pure ethanol for use with scents or
        essences. In that case it is then probably better to go the 'dedicated
        path' way and try to keep as much of the heads away from your main product
        collection path.

        Just shows how far we have all come on this list (which was supposed to be
        for newbies!) that we are now discussing removal of trace compounds! Just a
        couple of years ago it was "what the hell is distillation?" :-)

        Cheers!
        Mike N