RE: [new_distillers] Re: [Distillers] Vapor management versus reflux control

  • Johan
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 2, 2003
      Johan,

      Did you check already my drawing of a
      continuous-still-with-continuous-heads-removal:

      The idea of this, IMO, great design came from member "nanosleep"!

      In the meantime, I'm in the process of reading your last mail!

      See you later!

      Dirk
      __________

      It's the same principal. That's the way the "big guys" do it.
      But I don't want en extra boiler for the second column. I'll make a
      shotgun "reboiler" in line with the first column at the bottom of the
      first column. The vapour from the boiler containing mash heat up the
      reboiler, and the reboiler is fed with 95% alcohol from the second
      column.
      We'll see if the heat transfer is enough in batch distillation.

      This should work in a continuous still though as the reboiler will be
      heated by 100 degrees warm vapour. And making the 78 degree alcohol
      boil.

      JOhan

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 9, 2003
        Shane Kirkman wrote:
        Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: [Distillers] Vapor management versus
        reflux control

        So would a cup or 2 of boiling water tipped down the condenser tube after
        the heads are removed help remove the tainting?
        ===============
        Hi Shane,

        It might, although you usually need to give components a good scrubbing with
        detergent, or soak in some active cleanser, to really shift those
        contaminants.

        Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. What we are talking about here is a
        tiny amount of additional purification which is probably only worth
        bothering about if you are after ultra pure ethanol for use with scents or
        essences. In that case it is then probably better to go the 'dedicated
        path' way and try to keep as much of the heads away from your main product
        collection path.

        Just shows how far we have all come on this list (which was supposed to be
        for newbies!) that we are now discussing removal of trace compounds! Just a
        couple of years ago it was "what the hell is distillation?" :-)

        Cheers!
        Mike N