Re: [Distillers] Vapor management versus reflux control

  • mr_ethanol2003
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 2, 2003
      Hi everyone,

      This thread would seem to indicate that a build up of Congeners on
      surfaces within the still is an inevitable consequence of the
      distillation process. Therefore, techniques involving bleeding off
      heads thru a separate condensor (not the collection condensor) would
      seem usefull. It would also seem prudent to thoroughly clean all
      such surfaces after each run, thus preventing a build up. Does
      anyone have an effective cleaning regime they would care to share
      with less experienced people such as myself.

      Is it adequate to simply flush the still with water, or would more
      elaborate techniques using steam or solvents be more appropriate?

      Thoughts anyone?

      Andy.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "homedistiller"
      <homedistiller@y...> wrote:
      > Johan,
      >
      > Your post is quite complex because you mention both, batch and
      > continuous disitllation.
      <SNIP>
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 9, 2003
        Shane Kirkman wrote:
        Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: [Distillers] Vapor management versus
        reflux control

        So would a cup or 2 of boiling water tipped down the condenser tube after
        the heads are removed help remove the tainting?
        ===============
        Hi Shane,

        It might, although you usually need to give components a good scrubbing with
        detergent, or soak in some active cleanser, to really shift those
        contaminants.

        Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. What we are talking about here is a
        tiny amount of additional purification which is probably only worth
        bothering about if you are after ultra pure ethanol for use with scents or
        essences. In that case it is then probably better to go the 'dedicated
        path' way and try to keep as much of the heads away from your main product
        collection path.

        Just shows how far we have all come on this list (which was supposed to be
        for newbies!) that we are now discussing removal of trace compounds! Just a
        couple of years ago it was "what the hell is distillation?" :-)

        Cheers!
        Mike N