Re: [Distillers] Vapor management versus reflux control

  • homedistiller
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 2, 2003
      This tainting is not so unimportant!

      Mike's example of the brandy in a coffeecup is a good example for bad
      tainting. There are many more examples of this "tainting" in food and
      drinks. In the good and in the bad sense!

      In reality, it's often those "parts per million" that seem to ruin or
      make the product!

      The industry spends huge amounts of money for those last stretches of
      improvement.

      Vapour management is not complex, not expensive and can easily be
      applied on an existing column!

      The way to go, Mike!

      Dirk
    • Mike Nixon
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 9, 2003
        Shane Kirkman wrote:
        Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: [Distillers] Vapor management versus
        reflux control

        So would a cup or 2 of boiling water tipped down the condenser tube after
        the heads are removed help remove the tainting?
        ===============
        Hi Shane,

        It might, although you usually need to give components a good scrubbing with
        detergent, or soak in some active cleanser, to really shift those
        contaminants.

        Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. What we are talking about here is a
        tiny amount of additional purification which is probably only worth
        bothering about if you are after ultra pure ethanol for use with scents or
        essences. In that case it is then probably better to go the 'dedicated
        path' way and try to keep as much of the heads away from your main product
        collection path.

        Just shows how far we have all come on this list (which was supposed to be
        for newbies!) that we are now discussing removal of trace compounds! Just a
        couple of years ago it was "what the hell is distillation?" :-)

        Cheers!
        Mike N